1903 Mannlicher Help

What do you think this rifle would be worth in today’s market? I have no idea when it comes to these older rifle
These rifles are desirable. Prices tend to go up and down however. Depending on the targeted prospective buyers, a guesstimate $1000-$2500USD. Again a lot depends on the prospective buyers.
Just my 1 1/2¢ worth....

Yes, 93marlin is spot on. I've seen similar Haenels go for upwards of $3k if they are in pristine condition. (there's a Haenel for sale on Guns Int. for $2750. It is a more common 8mm though). Yours doesn't have a straight magazine (loaded via an en bloc clip as originally envisioned on the Commission 1888 Rifle). However, some of those older rifles had the magazine removed and were essentially a single shot rifle for target shooting. Most of the time they also sported fancier sights for such. I can't tell what is under the bottom of your rifle but if it has a magazine, to hold more than one round, it is likely a staggered magazine (aka Mauser or similar). I say this because there's no sign of a rotary magazine release button as seen on Mannlichers with the Schoenauer rotary magazine.
Historically, C.G. Haenel took some leftover actions from 1888 commission rifles and made some very nice sporting rifles out of them pre-WWI. See that article I mentioned in an earlier post. Often referred to colloquially as 1909 Haenels. From just the two pics, and what you've indicated about the caliber, I think this may be one of them.
In general, aside from a person who says "Cool! I want that rifle!" there are some things a collector will consider and it will effect the price offered:
- General condition.
- Does it lock up tight?
- how rare is it? Is it one of a kind?
- Is there a provenance? (i.e. did the Red Baron or Frederick Selous own it etc.)
- has it had major repair work done?
- are the parts all matching and original?
- has it been reblued? has it been correctly reblued (for older rifles: has it been rust blued with the same or similar recipe?). For example, pre-war MS rifles were rust blued but often had the bolt release button nitre blued and the magazine release and bolt retention spring "straw blued". Some also had the bottom trigger plate case hardened. Barreled actions purchased by English gunmakers often had these embellishments standard of what was being offered in the "little Mannlichers" they sold.
- how crisp are the engravings or have they been polished over?
- Is the stock cracked? Has it been refinished? Has it been altered (cut down, or duffel cut etc.)
- Is the butt plate original or has a more modern recoil pad been installed? English gunmaker often put a Silvers pad on the rifles they sold, instead of a trap door, metal butt plate.
- Has the receiver be altered for optics? If so has the front receiver ring been dovetailed or has an addition lug been mounted forward of the receiver ring? Dovetails usually cut into the receiver engraving which is less desirable.
- If optics are installed: Are the optics of the period? Are they clear?
- How does the bore and chamber look? Older rifles were generally subjected to ammunition with corrosive primers of the time. Thus, care had to be taken to religiously clean the rifle before putting it away. Otherwise erosion in the chamber throat is often observed.

These are just some things I can think of off hand. Enjoy your rifle, it is a neat one!

Yes, 93marlin is spot on. I've seen similar Haenels go for upwards of $3k if they are in pristine condition. (there's a Haenel for sale on Guns Int. for $2750. It is a more common 8mm though). Yours doesn't have a straight magazine (loaded via an en bloc clip as originally envisioned on the Commission 1888 Rifle). However, some of those older rifles had the magazine removed and were essentially a single shot rifle for target shooting. Most of the time they also sported fancier sights for such. I can't tell what is under the bottom of your rifle but if it has a magazine, to hold more than one round, it is likely a staggered magazine (aka Mauser or similar). I say this because there's no sign of a rotary magazine release button as seen on Mannlichers with the Schoenauer rotary magazine.
Historically, C.G. Haenel took some leftover actions from 1888 commission rifles and made some very nice sporting rifles out of them pre-WWI. See that article I mentioned in an earlier post. Often referred to colloquially as 1909 Haenels. From just the two pics, and what you've indicated about the caliber, I think this may be one of them.
In general, aside from a person who says "Cool! I want that rifle!" there are some things a collector will consider and it will effect the price offered:
- General condition.
- Does it lock up tight?
- how rare is it? Is it one of a kind?
- Is there a provenance? (i.e. did the Red Baron or Frederick Selous own it etc.)
- has it had major repair work done?
- are the parts all matching and original?
- has it been reblued? has it been correctly reblued (for older rifles: has it been rust blued with the same or similar recipe?). For example, pre-war MS rifles were rust blued but often had the bolt release button nitre blued and the magazine release and bolt retention spring "straw blued". Some also had the bottom trigger plate case hardened. Barreled actions purchased by English gunmakers often had these embellishments standard of what was being offered in the "little Mannlichers" they sold.
- how crisp are the engravings or have they been polished over?
- Is the stock cracked? Has it been refinished? Has it been altered (cut down, or duffel cut etc.)
- Is the butt plate original or has a more modern recoil pad been installed? English gunmaker often put a Silvers pad on the rifles they sold, instead of a trap door, metal butt plate.
- Has the receiver be altered for optics? If so has the front receiver ring been dovetailed or has an addition lug been mounted forward of the receiver ring? Dovetails usually cut into the receiver engraving which is less desirable.
- If optics are installed: Are the optics of the period? Are they clear?
- How does the bore and chamber look? Older rifles were generally subjected to ammunition with corrosive primers of the time. Thus, care had to be taken to religiously clean the rifle before putting it away. Otherwise erosion in the chamber throat is often observed.

These are just some things I can think of off hand. Enjoy your rifle, it is a neat one!
IMG_2356.jpeg
IMG_2357.jpeg
IMG_2358.jpeg
IMG_2359.jpeg
IMG_2360.jpeg
IMG_2361.jpeg

Here are a few other pictures, for the most part the rifle is in great condition with a few scratches on the stock but no major damage or chunks missing, I’ve had this rifle apart and there is no rust whatsoever, everything fits nice and tight. The scope is a quick detach which I was told the actual quick detach mounts are very hard to find apparently, the scope is pretty clear I would say for its age and it still holds a group at 100yrds.

As far as work done to it,had to have a gunsmith help me out on one of the bolts for the trigger guard/action bolt. Still original bolt but it was stripped out in the stock, I was also informed that it had been reblued but was an older reblueing. All the checkering on the stock is nice and crisp yet. As far as I can tell the butt plate and the scope are the only #s that don’t match the rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BerryBidde

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me