1903 Mannlicher Help

Hornady currently list the .264 160 grain RN #2640 in their line up. That bullet was discontinued several years ago but I have seen new stock recently at several retailers. Limited production for sure but nice to see some available.

For those of us with M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauers, it sure would be nice if they'd put the Hornady #3715 (.375 270 grain RN) back into production.

MS Hornady 3715 02.jpg

Extinct?

I have 3 1903 & 1900 by Gibbs, also two Gibbs 1895 rifles, in 6.5x54 & 6.5x53R which I use the same load in (have two old girls in .375Ex & one .303Brit) I use the 160gr Hornady & Woodleighs bullet in both at the same velocity it has worked well on all game shot .
IMG_5213.jpeg

And in the older Gibbs.
IMG_3757.jpeg

And also, what sort of a beast would scoping one become.
As long as you use round nose bullets you will not have any feeding issues. This rifle is the best stalking and still hunting rifle ever designed. Commercial ammo is still available from Norma and Privi I believe. The wood on the pictured rifle is outstanding. They are not easily scoped by design as scopes were not in wide usage at the time of their design. If you are willing to deal with the open sight issue you will own a piece of history that has still not been improved upon for its intended purpose. I am the proud owner of a model 1905 In 9x56 MS made in 1921. I have taken deer and wild boar with it.

If you purchase it, it will be yours.

I would advocate for showing the utmost respect, however, for such a fine and unaltered MS.
Once permanently altered it can, of course, never be original again.

If you must have a 'scope, please consider a proper 'German claw mount' and have it done only by an expert with vast experience.

The claw mount is a thing of beauty, versatility, and (along with now extinct 'Vienna Snappers', you'll know you've shown proper regard and respect to one of the finest rifles ever produced, regardless of cost. A claw mounted 'scope removes with one hand in an instant and always returns to precise zero.

I'll double down on advice here to try out a 'scoped MS first and see if the 'scope placement works for you or if you can retrain yourself to like sighting with chin on cheek rest.

I don't mind it a bit and, with my period claw mounts, always have the option of sighting with 'scope and then settling down to cheek rest and shooting under the 'scope through the iron sight.

Also, try to become accustomed to shooting her 'through the iron'. The MS (particularly the stutzen) is designed with perfect balance, dimensions, and cast of stock for 'snap shooting'.
Put the rifle (unloaded) on a table, imagine you hear a charging leopard behind you, grab the rifle and bring it to your cheek while sighting down the barrel... you'll be right on target!

Another option would be to purchase one of the later models which were designed for 'scope use, had a 'flat' machined on the side of receiver for easy 'scope mounting, and had a 'guide ring' in the Schoenauer magazine which allowed for greater versatility of cartridge and bullet profile:

View attachment 550698
View attachment 550699
@Brian Rothhammer
And it even comes in 2 real hunting calibers. The 358 Winchester and the 280 rem. What more could you want. Ah yes on in 25-06 to top it off.
Bob

Prvi ammo shoots to the sights quite well. Good quality brass, too. Graf’s usually has the Prvi 6.5mm 156 gr RNSP in stock too. I had one come apart at the cannelure in a whitetail but other than that good performance.
I’ve shot them scoped and with irons. The stock design + the scope mounts used on this rifle make cheek weld a little unnatural for me, but not objectionable. If it were a heavier recoiling rifle it might be a different story.
Your pictures look great, have you handled the rifle in person? I’d want to see the bore/throat/muzzle and the wood to metal fit. The blueing looks original but again, pictures can hide a lot. I can’t tell from the pictures if the wood has been sanded or not.

Well I received the rifle today. They are nice handy little rifles!

She's a peach!

Welcome to the M/S 'fraternity', you're going to love that stutzen (or full stocked rifle?). What is the barrel length?
Are original cleaning rods in the trapdoor butt?

Here's a fun little trick; with empty chamber and magazine, open bolt and pull all the way back. Then hold rifle level, pull trigger and begin to tip muzzle downward. Your bolt should slide completely forward and close itself with a very satisfying snap.

I do so after cleaning to see if I've sufficiently oiled mine.

She's a peach!

Welcome to the M/S 'fraternity', you're going to love that stutzen (or full stocked rifle?). What is the barrel length?
Are original cleaning rods in the trapdoor butt?

Here's a fun little trick; with empty chamber and magazine, open bolt and pull all the way back. Then hold rifle level, pull trigger and begin to tip muzzle downward. Your bolt should slide completely forward and close itself with a very satisfying snap.

I do so after cleaning to see if I've sufficiently oiled mine.
I will check it out when I have a min.

Am I correct in assuming a Greek contract firing pin nut would fit? I was thinking of getting one and using it to have a peep sight fitted

Agreed that function comes before form. That said, perhaps consider a side mount that would not cut a dove tail into the engraving on the receiver ring or drill holes in it. Some side mounts also allow you to co-witness the iron sights too if ever needed. Although most side mounts are quick detach anyway. Be prepared for a relatively high mounted scope because of the flag safety. Not the biggest muley in the world but the 102 yr old Model 1903 below (with a single trigger like yours) can still put 160 gr pill very accurately down range.
View attachment 550677
Do you have any idea where to look for proper drivers? All I have is a Wheeler set

Pre war MS rifles have another quirk--the diagonal flat on the rear of the receiver is NOT at the same height as the front receiver ring. A Redfield/knockoff will reveal this! They are sized to fit the 1950 and later actions which ARE even in height. My gunsmith buddy arrived at a brilliant conclusion to the problem--just reduce the height of the front Redfield type mount by re-radiusing the bottom. Take off just enough metal from the BOTTOM of the front mount piece so that they match in height. He did that to my 7x57, tho I cannot quote the exact height of metal removed. Otherwise you end up shimming the rear mount to raise it, resulting in an additional piece for the mounting bolts to go through--not a very good idea in my book.
Maybe the claw mounts are made to cover that problem. As Brian Rothammer states, they are the most elegant solution. The Redfield mounts are dedicated scope mounts--you cannot use irons with them installed. (Yet both my rifles are so fitted) Had a Leupold mount, but am no fan, and disposed of it. Enjoy!

Hi Aaron,
Wheeler bits are too thick. So are most of the grace screw drivers. Brownell's "thin bits" fit very well. You'll need several different widths (0.12, 0.18, 0.24, 0.3 and 0.34) to ensure you have a bit that spans the width of the different screws. Typically you can buy a whole set but you can also buy them individually. Here's a link: https://www.brownells.com/tools-cle...-tools/screwdrivers-sets/magna-tip-thin-bits/

A good tip is to scrape out all the old gunk in the screw slots gently using the blunt end of a sewing needle. The two screws on the butt plate are the most problematic. Their tops have been polished down, they are typically full of gunk, they are typically never loosened when other parts of the rifle are taken apart and they are stubborn. My advice is to use a gun vice or similar set up to hold the rifle steady and remember, slow, even pressure.

I've never tried a firing pin nut from from a Greek MS but they look like they'd work. You can sometimes find just the nut on Ebay. There are whole MS bolts on there but they are an expensive way to get just that one piece you need. Interestingly, I found a Lyman 1A sight that was attached to a discarded '03 Springfield firing pin in a pile of old gun parts recently. The owner sold me the firing pin. I didn't tell him that I was really after the sight! I'm putting it on an extra MS nut I have lying around.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.37.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.37.41 AM.png
    517 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.37.43 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-16 at 8.37.43 AM.png
    405 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fogaves

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.
Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!