Who Are The Best Running Shots With A Rifle?

steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
In what may be the first of several installments: "Who are the best shots?" it occurs to me that there must be several categories. I propose the first category be "WHO ARE THE BEST AT RUNNING SHOTS WITH A RIFLE." Although Americans once called themselves "a nation of riflemen" I just wonder if we can lay claim to being the best in this category these days. After all, I see hunters on TV waiting interminably for an animal to even stop walking before pulling the trigger. On the other hand, in many European countries, one cannot be certified to hunt moose, etc unless proving shooting proficiency, off-hand, at a mechanized running moose target at about 80 meters. Where else is this standard required. Where else is driven hunting so greatly practiced?
What say ye--who are the best running shot artists?

The best on running shots? Easy,
The Beethoven of driven hunts,
The Da Vinci of the off-hand shot,
Terror of all running wild boar:

Prince Franz-Albrecht Oettingen-Spielberg.

Last edited:

In what may be the first of several installments: "Who are the best shots?" it occurs to me that there must be several categories. I propose the first category be "WHO ARE THE BEST AT RUNNING SHOTS WITH A RIFLE." Although Americans once called themselves "a nation of riflemen" I just wonder if we can lay claim to being the best in this category these days. After all, I see hunters on TV waiting interminably for an animal to even stop walking before pulling the trigger. On the other hand, in many European countries, one cannot be certified to hunt moose, etc unless proving shooting proficiency, off-hand, at a mechanized running moose target at about 80 meters. Where else is this standard required. Where else is driven hunting so greatly practiced?
What say ye--who are the best running shot artists?
I do not know who the best running shots are.

Many here, though they will not publicize it.

We Americans should practice the Scandinavian method, crossing running moose targets at 80 meters,
and only a few seconds for 2-3 shots in a proper kill zone.

I still need more practice.

Has to be those that participate in driven hunts. Every time I’ve seen an American on Wild Boar Fever they’ve struggled. Not saying I could do any better.. I think we should all practice off hand shooting and shoot clays often to improve in that area.

Driven rabbits are not easy but that's with a shotgun and has NO comparison to driven boar with a rifle. Especially no comparison to the many videos of Franz Albrecht choosing the gender and age and snatching them out of a running group of pigs...5, 6, 7 in a row. It's not even worth debating.

So your vote is for Germany?

Germans are known to be serious rifleman but my vote is for that particular German!

Driven rabbits are not easy but that's with a shotgun and has NO comparison to driven boar with a rifle. Especially no comparison to the many videos of Franz Albrecht choosing the gender and age and snatching them out of a running group of pigs...5, 6, 7 in a row. It's not even worth debating.
I thought they were describing hitting rabbits with a rifle?....

Those who learned by shooting rabbits run by hounds.
Well, not unless they were shooting those running rabbits with a rifle - it’s fairly easy with a shotgun —- and I can still manage to miss running rabbits w/my 16 ga.!!

Prince Franz-Albrecht Oettingen-Spielberg

Is the man. I saw him drill a Buffalo on the run also.
Buffalo fever? He is a shooter. His Scheiring double is ported :eek:. A heck of a shot regardless

Nice to see someone of his stature who is unafraid to be seen hunting in addition to being such a proponent of hunting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.