Who Are The Best Running Shots With A Rifle?

I opened those videos prepared to have an 'opinion'. It wasn't anything like I expected and for once I'm glad I waited to form an opinion. I'm a fan and I'd love to go to Europe and give that a try. Very cool!

Both Running wild boar and running deer was Olympic sports.
Many Scandinavian competed there.

One was Franz Rosenberg that competed in 1912 .

Running deer was 2 shots on each turn of target so light quick rifles used.
6,5*55 900 meter load , 6,5 gram bullet mostly. Bolts, straight pulls, m95 customs , double rifles and even some Farquasohns.

Other cartridges used also. 8mm, 7mm. .303 and more

I'm sure the choices are all over the place but are there any particular calibers that are favored over others?

Impressive !! Great consistent rifle shooting by any standard. I don’t think many in the U.S. get to practice much on running big game. A friend told me that shooting at running jack rabbits as a kid helped him learn to shoot a rifle well on moving targets - no one cares about missing or wounding & losing a rabbit. But when you only have one Elk tag or one deer tag - most wait for a standing shot. Now after that guy in the video was done hunting - did he promptly return his Rifle to the local Police Department (for safe storage) and account for every round of ammo he used? Actually, makes his shooting prowess even more Impressive because he might Not be allowed to shoot as often as he likes and have all the ammo he needs??

Driven rabbits are not easy but that's with a shotgun and has NO comparison to driven boar with a rifle. Especially no comparison to the many videos of Franz Albrecht choosing the gender and age and snatching them out of a running group of pigs...5, 6, 7 in a row. It's not even worth debating.
I do well enough at running targets. I confess to missing a very close running shot at a gemsbuck bull a couple weeks ago. That was a rare miss. The scope was cranked up to 6x and he was running through some partial brush. But it turns out I already hit him in the neck with first shot as he busted. After the miss he ran a short ways and turned to face me. I think he was about done. Heart shot in the chest finished it.
20230817_090946.jpg

Last year's nyala. Hit it a bit low off the sticks. It ran to the river, fell down, got up, and took off. Shot it through the heart running at 100 yards.
20220827_125858.jpg

Shot this bull buffalo on the run at sixty yards slightly quartering away. Behind the shoulder and through both lungs. Shot him again in the chest when he stopped and faced us. I called the shots before we were to the carcass.
20210822_094301.jpg
IMG_1740(1).JPG

The previous year I nailed this coyote through the heart on the fly at fifty yards, a crossing shot.
20201129_110147.jpg

My first trip to Africa I shot this gemsbuck incoming at a gallop less than twenty yards twice through the heart.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

Later in Montana I killed this muley buck on the run after hitting the hill I was shooting over with the first shot. Got up from prone position and flattened him with second shot.
16 November 2019.JPG

There's lots more including two huge bull elk shot on the move ... in the head.

I rarely miss a running shot because 1) I only take close running shots with high probability of hitting the target well, 2) my gun fits me perfectly, and 3) I shoot a LOT of birds and clay targets. Yes, a shotgun is different than a rifle, but for moving targets the principles are the same. Watch the target not the gun/crosshairs. And follow through. Oh, and a good trigger helps immensely, much more so when shooting moving animals with a rifle than wingshooting a shotgun.

Well, Franz is a legit prince in Germany and he doesn't have regular problems like your average guy. One thing I like is that he really seems humble, believe it or not and he does get nervous on some hunts and talks about it. He would be an interesting guy to have lunch with.

He has several Schiering doubles and kiplauf rifles...some are ported and some are not. His videos on driven boar hunting, roe deer hunting, red stag hunting and Cape buffalo are all excellent. I saw him hit a running buffalo 2x AFTER the reload at somewhere around 80-100 yards as it went towards cover.

Well, Franz is a legit prince in Germany and he doesn't have regular problems like your average guy. One thing I like is that he really seems humble, believe it or not and he does get nervous on some hunts and talks about it. He would be an interesting guy to have lunch with.

He has several Schiering doubles and kiplauf rifles...some are ported and some are not. His videos on driven boar hunting, roe deer hunting, red stag hunting and Cape buffalo are all excellent. I saw him hit a running buffalo 2x AFTER the reload at somewhere around 80-100 yards as it went towards cover.

Would be a nearly impossible question to answer. Americans have the most accessibility to practice shooting. I wish we had running rifle ranges, but sporting clays with shotgun translates well to rifle shooting. Shooting is much more restricted in Europe. I’ve seen some extremely good shots in Europe but I’ve heard the stories of some of the worst shots from Europe as well, particularly French and sometimes Spanish. I’ve also heard the horror stories of terrible gun safety from Eastern Europeans. The amount of wounded and lost deer at the end of season in the eastern US would suggest we have some of the worst shots though too. I think it’s all a function of a person’s ability and desire to practice and what their normal hunting looks like. There are good and bad shots everywhere.

My local rifle shooting range offers:
  • Running Wild Boar at 50 meter with .22LR
  • Running Elg (Moose to those in the US) at 100 meter with caliber of your choice
That range is located in a city with approx 1,5 million inhabitants.

Out deer hunting, half my shots have been to animals in motion.

I prefer them to be standing still, I make every effort to trick them into stopping before I press the trigger, but if I had to refrain from shooting at a running animal due to lack of training on my part, I would miss a lot of opportunities. It is a skill worth learning.

Would be a nearly impossible question to answer. Americans have the most accessibility to practice shooting. I wish we had running rifle ranges, but sporting clays with shotgun translates well to rifle shooting. Shooting is much more restricted in Europe. I’ve seen some extremely good shots in Europe but I’ve heard the stories of some of the worst shots from Europe as well, particularly French and sometimes Spanish. I’ve also heard the horror stories of terrible gun safety from Eastern Europeans. The amount of wounded and lost deer at the end of season in the eastern US would suggest we have some of the worst shots though too. I think it’s all a function of a person’s ability and desire to practice and what their normal hunting looks like. There are good and bad shots everywhere.
Personally, I think skeet is much better practice. Many of the sporting clays presentations would never be encountered shooting running game (e.g. jumping teal, falling bateau, overhead flyers). Every station at skeet is good practice: crossing, going away, and incoming. And LEARN TO SHOOT LOW GUN. Pulling targets with the gun shouldered doesn't help you at all.

If I was a dangerous game PH, I would set aside at least a thousand rounds of shotgun ammo every year designated to shoot only station eight skeet. I can't think of anything that would be better practice for charging animals.

Last edited:
Personally, I think skeet is much better practice. Many of the sporting clays presentations would never be encountered shooting running game (e.g. jumping teal, falling bateau, overhead flyers). Every station at skeet is good practice: crossing, going away, and incoming. And LEARN TO SHOOT LOW GUN. Pulling targets with the gun shouldered doesn't help you at all.
Agreed. I guess I use the words interchangeably because that’s all I’ve ever known at my sportsman club.

Driven rabbits are not easy but that's with a shotgun and has NO comparison to driven boar with a rifle. Especially no comparison to the many videos of Franz Albrecht choosing the gender and age and snatching them out of a running group of pigs...5, 6, 7 in a row. It's not even worth debating.
Most of the men I grew up around used cooey 39s unless they were hunting in a group, I learned alone with a winchester model 62 and in groups with a shotgun.

Although Americans once called themselves "a nation of riflemen" I just wonder if we can lay claim to being the best in this category these days. After all, I see hunters on TV waiting interminably for an animal to even stop walking before pulling the trigger. On the other hand, in many European countries, one cannot be certified to hunt moose, etc unless proving shooting proficiency, off-hand, at a mechanized running moose target at about 80 meters. Where else is this standard required. Where else is driven hunting so greatly practiced?
What say ye--who are the best running shot artists?
I’ve been giving more thought to this statement about Americans on TV waiting stop before pulling the trigger vs European driven hunts. Most American hunts are done individually no dogs no groups. European stalking hunts will wait just the same for an animal to stop. I’ve participated in a two day driven hunt in Spain called Monteria. There were 24 shooters and a very large number of dogs 100+. There was some very poor shooting on display by several hunters. However, no game was lost because of the dogs. Large group hunts with dogs make these running shots much more ethical than the majority of American hunts where in some cases a dog cannot be used whatsoever and might be several hours before your friends can come help you.

I’ve been giving more thought to this statement about Americans on TV waiting stop before pulling the trigger vs European driven hunts. Most American hunts are done individually no dogs no groups. European stalking hunts will wait just the same for an animal to stop. I’ve participated in a two day driven hunt in Spain called Monteria. There were 24 shooters and a very large number of dogs 100+. There was some very poor shooting on display by several hunters. However, no game was lost because of the dogs. Large group hunts with dogs make these running shots much more ethical than the majority of American hunts where in some cases a dog cannot be used whatsoever and might be several hours before your friends can come help you.
What is missing in the video - the Out takes (misses - wounded game). All hunting videos show case the “success”, none of the famous gunmakers that show their rifles taking game at 700 - 1500 yrds show the “wounded animals”. I am sure the shoooter in the video is a fine Rifleman and far better then most - but he misses and wounds also —— just less often. A miss on a Boar (pig) rarely matters but a trophy Elk, Grizzly, Deer is another matter and “waiting” for a standing shot will almost always have a higher success rate. Only wounded game or very close running shots make sense for big game hunting — in my opinion (except Pigs, coyotes or other varmints).

What is missing in the video - the Out takes (misses - wounded game). All hunting videos show case the “success”, none of the famous gunmakers that show their rifles taking game at 700 - 1500 yrds show the “wounded animals”. I am sure the shoooter in the video is a fine Rifleman and far better then most - but he misses and wounds also —— just less often. A miss on a Boar (pig) rarely matters but a trophy Elk, Grizzly, Deer is another matter and “waiting” for a standing shot will almost always have a higher success rate. Only wounded game or very close running shots make sense for big game hunting — in my opinion (except Pigs, coyotes or other varmints).
In the US I’d fully agree with you. In Europe though many trophy hunts are done with drives. Especially Spain because some properties are difficult to hunt by stalking for deer, so a driven hunt is used as a once per year management tool. The Monteria I participated in was 24 hunters each with a quota of 4 stags, 4 females, and unlimited boars if seen. My first day stand location had shots to about 250 yards looking at a hillside but I could wait for an animal to pause. The second day I was set up on a corner where 50 yards would be the longest shot all running fast. With the dogs available for follow up, I thought it was fine to hunt deer this way. I shot well thankfully, one boar and one female required a short follow up. I took 4 stags, 4 females, 2 boars. I chose a lower priced Monteria without big trophies but others get deer as nice as you will take by stalking. Big Boars are highly valued in Europe as a game animal as well, not like feral hogs in US. Here was second day Monteria results.
IMG_2069.jpeg

In the US I’d fully agree with you. In Europe though many trophy hunts are done with drives. Especially Spain because some properties are difficult to hunt by stalking for deer, so a driven hunt is used as a once per year management tool. The Monteria I participated in was 24 hunters each with a quota of 4 stags, 4 females, and unlimited boars if seen. My first day stand location had shots to about 250 yards looking at a hillside but I could wait for an animal to pause. The second day I was set up on a corner where 50 yards would be the longest shot all running fast. With the dogs available for follow up, I thought it was fine to hunt deer this way. I shot well thankfully, one boar and one female required a short follow up. I took 4 stags, 4 females, 2 boars. I chose a lower priced Monteria without big trophies but others get deer as nice as you will take by stalking. Big Boars are highly valued in Europe as a game animal as well, not like feral hogs in US. Here was second day Monteria results.View attachment 554681
I guess the dogs got to that big one first?

I guess the dogs got to that big one first?
With that many dogs the handlers do their best, but yes. You cannot leave your stand location for safety reasons until the drive is over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davelotman21

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.