Whisky appreciation

IMG_0337.jpeg

My favorite LAPHROAIG 10 yr., from Islay
the peatest I found, maybe even a little seaweed mixed in:)
Jeff, why is “a little seaweed mixed in” a good thing? Does “everything” that gets thrown into a barrel of Scotch make it better? I like fish and shrimp but NOT in my Scotch. However, I have friends that love that heavy, smoked, peat, ashtray taste so there most be something to it.

Jeff, why is “a little seaweed mixed in” a good thing? Does “everything” that gets thrown into a barrel of Scotch make it better? I like fish and shrimp but NOT in my Scotch. However, I have friends that love that heavy, smoked, peat, ashtray taste so there most be something to it.
For the record, I'm talking about single malt Scotch whisky, not blends...

Some have developed (or were born with) a palate for these flavors, others...not so much. Not all Scotch whisky is the same. It's like ones taste in rifles...some prefer stainless and synthetic while others can not stomach these "flavors". They mostly include the Islay region where they use peat as fuel to dry the malted barley and the whisky develops this smokey, peaty, ocean kind of taste that is very distinct. I'd say it's not for the uninitiated.

The good thing is that there are enough different Scotch whisky distilleries (and rifle makers) that there is something for everyone. ;)

If you stay with the whisky distilled in the Highland region, this will most closely resemble what most Americans view as "Scotch". The other regions are Speyside, Campbeltown, Lowlands along with the previously mentioned Islay and Highland. Each has their own distinct flavor profile and then each distillery in each region has a very specific type of taste they are known for.

One could spend a lifetime sampling and documenting these profiles...and it would not be a wasted life.

well we know there is at least one idiot with to much money in the world,lmao
That's a lot of hunting and still some money left over to enjoy some quality Scotch

Thank you, Ive had a line on Pappy 23 for three years now but family matters have always seemed to creep in and I haven’t been able to collect one yet…
Ive tried so hard for a 15yr for 10 years and just can’t seem to get my hands on one? I’ll keep trying! I also have the last three years of Birthday Bourbon, a 9yr and 11yr Old Fitzgerald, an Elmer T Lee, a 10yr and 12yr Jack, and a Coy Hill Jack that is impossible to find!
And sorry, I just wanted to share, I’m seriously not bragging as this collection has taken many years of hard work to obtain as none of it was bought on the secondary market at inflated prices
68369847125__9414BF95-8FA0-4A78-BB65-7F632B2C0A54.jpeg
68369845778__36E7CE03-5127-495D-B540-4C7F199D0858.jpeg
66605687242__4CD42C1C-52EF-4ACF-9AE2-EE2AF5838732.jpeg
66120969580__42C13B67-C7AC-428B-926D-FF8DD919E556.jpeg
66120969580__42C13B67-C7AC-428B-926D-FF8DD919E556.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you, Ive had a line on Pappy 23 for three years now but family matters have always seemed to creep in and I haven’t been able to collect one yet…
Ive tried so hard for a 15yr for 10 years and just can’t seem to get my hands on one? I’ll keep trying! I also have the last three years of Birthday Bourbon, a 9yr and 11yr Old Fitzgerald, an Elmer T Lee, a 10yr and 12yr Jack, and a Coy Hill Jack that is impossible to find!
And sorry, I just wanted to share, I’m seriously not bragging as this collection has taken many years of hard work to obtain as none of it was bought on the secondary market at inflated prices
View attachment 577905View attachment 577906View attachment 577907View attachment 577908View attachment 577908
You’ve gotta try and find one of the Elmer T 100th Aniv. Bottles

Birthday Bourbon is a personal favorite. I know a few people who might consider trading them for your pappy holes.

I’m also a big fan of the Orphan Barrels. Barterhouse is a personal favorite of mine.

I try to support the country of my background. This is not a very old distillery by USA means. However, according to history passage I had read, it was noted that Welsh distillers introduced Bourbon to the colonies in the 1750's. Can be found at Wine n More stores. Strange, it seems to be near Navy bases. never very plentiful, cost ranges from $60-100 at this time. I took a bottle of Celt and left it for the PH's at the lodge. Lots of nice things are from Wales- Richard Burton, Tom Jones, Myrna Loy, Catherine Zeta Jones!

IMG_5628.JPG
IMG_5629.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
My firm owns Milam & Greene whiskey out of Blanco, Texas. The CEO was recently on the cover of American Whiskey Magazine. I wouldn't call myself a connoisseur, but it is very fine and has won many, many awards. I particularly like the Rye. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradja...an-craft-spirits-association/?sh=7ddac22c425e

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KurtVH

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.