Whisky appreciation

No, not even close to that price - so it might of been a 25 yr old?? This was 8-9 years ago and I believe the price was closer to $600 (I googled it later that week)—- I also think it was a “gift” given from a major business client to one of my Peers —- so he shared it with several of us (he wasn’t that generous to have paid for it himself !!)

I’ve had Macallan 25. It is one of the smoothest whiskies known to man. We really need to get you some help! And like @RedLeg, I would like to meet this friend. Any man who needs help disposing of a bottle of Macallan 25 is a man worth knowing.

I think I will stop by the liquor store on the way home from work today and try once again to like scotch. I'll report back later tonight. I have a side of ribs thawing in the fridge so i will light the grill and see how it goes
Any recommendations for some pretty decent everyday scotch to try out?

For a non scotch drinker try something like Balvenie Caribbean Cask.

If I’m going to spend money, Laphroaig 12 year old or if I don’t feel like the peaty taste, Balvenie 10 year old.

If I’m at a braai watching Rugby (like I will be doing this Saturday when we win the world cup), or on a hunt drinking a social whiskey and soda,
Monkey Shoulder does the trick.

Laphroig is the perfect example of a single malt that tastes like mud aged in burnt peat moss with a dash of dog dropping to add a subtle flavor.
So you “like it”?

Bowmore No 1 is a great introduction to peated whiskey and doesn't break the bank...

Also don't underestimate Johnnie Black, it is really good value for money.
Agree on the Johnnie Black - it’s good, smooth and NOT “peaty”. I also don’t care for the heavy peat -smoke- scotches.

Wife bought me a bottle of Balvenie 21 year old Portwood some years ago. It was amazing.

Wife bought me a bottle of Balvenie 21 year old Portwood some years ago. It was amazing.
That’s a good one BeeMaa, forgot about Balvenie and only found out about that 10 years ago - had a 15 yr that was outstanding, I also like some Scotch’s that are aged in a sherry or port cask. Since moving to VA, I’m enjoying the Bourbon’s more — both are nice in cold weather and especially after coming in from a long cold hunt

I’ve had Macallan 25. It is one of the smoothest whiskies known to man. We really need to get you some help! And like @RedLeg, I would like to meet this friend. Any man who needs help disposing of a bottle of Macallan 25 is a man worth knowing.
I know - I KNOW !! I need to see a Doctor ! It’s not that it was bad - but some of the other Execs were there “raving” about it - I felt too guilty to have more then one glass neat....I did the “honorable thing” - passed on any refills and let the others joy it.

Just tried the Hearach at a launch event the other day. Nice light whisky with a taste of the sea.
In regard to Macallan, I have a nice 18 year old at home BUT that is an older bottle. The distillery has not released anything worth their prices for a good 15 years. It will be another 20 years or so before they can get back to a semblance of what they were. This is because a previous owner sold off all their old casks to Japan. You need to remember that the age statement on the label pertains to the youngest whisky used for that batch NOT the oldest whisky.

I know - I KNOW !! I need to see a Doctor ! It’s not that it was bad - but some of the other Execs were there “raving” about it - I felt too guilty to have more then one glass neat....I did the “honorable thing” - passed on any refills and let the others joy it.

I had that experience with a bottle of 23 yr Pappy at a closing dinner. It was fine, but honestly no better than a number of bourbons I keep on hand at $40 to $50 a bottle.

Image1698365077.230395.jpg

Not whiskey, but if you get a chance to try this gin from Annapolis Royal, NS, do so. They use dulce in the production. It provides an outstanding flavor.

On a side for the Louisianans, Annapolis Royal is where the British herded the Acadians onto the boats for deportation.

View attachment 566052

Not whiskey, but if you get a chance to try this gin from Annapolis Royal, NS, do so. They use dulce in the production. It provides an outstanding flavor.

On a side for the Louisianans, Annapolis Royal is where the British herded the Acadians onto the boats for deportation.
Well the flavor better be outstanding because it’s only 80 proof? most better Gin’s (except Hendricks) are 90+ proof ie: Bombay Sapphire, Tanguray, etc..

A bottle of Macallan 1926 Abani just sold at Sotheby's of London for $2.7 million USD.
well we know there is at least one idiot with to much money in the world,lmao

I really wish I liked Scotch and single malts but I don't. I bought a bottle of Singleton given its history, took one drink, and gave the rest to a friend whose wife likes Scotch. Bourbon, rye, Irish, and Canadian whiskies are more my taste.

Speaking of which, I found this bottle of 6 y.o. Very Old Barton when cleaning out my Mom's house a few years ago. By the bottle markings, it was bottled in 1992. I think my Mom used it for cooking and baking. That said, even after all these years it wasn't bad. Definitely a touch different than today's bourbon but that was OK. BTW notice the price!

1700446664560.png

Remember Why did the Scotch make Whiskey ?
So the Irish would not rule the world !
The Scots make whisky and the Irish make whiskey. Failure to adopt modern still technology about a century ago had a major impact on Irish exports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.