What binoculars do you use while on Safari?

I just got the new Swarovski EL TA 10X32 from @Mark Biggerstaff
I exclusively use the Rick Young Ultralight Bino Harness on all my binos. There is no better way to carry!

I exclusively use the Rick Young Ultralight Bino Harness on all my binos. There is no better way to carry!

Yep… RYO on all of ours as well… doesn’t matter the size or brand… that’s the harness we use..

Super versatile.. super lightweight.. and super affordable..

Have used them everywhere from South Africa to Kodiak Island.. and couldn’t be happier..

I just got the new Swarovski EL TA 10X32 from @Mark Biggerstaff

Strongly agree here, the Rick Young harness is a must have for me. I take several of them with me, they never break, but don't want to do a hunt without one.

I take black rubber armored Zeiss 8x40's. I bought them from Cabela's in 2003 for $999.99.

I hunted elk with a guide in New Mexico in 2002 and I thought my $200 Bausch & Lomb 8-24x40's were decent. He let me used his German military surplus 8x40's and I could spot things that were invisible to my B&L's at 24X with his at fixed 8X. I did a little research and found out his had Zeiss glass.

They are great for full sized binoculars, as far as I am concerned. I have yet to look through Japanese glass that is better.

For compact binoculars, I use a pair of 8x20 Leica's. They seem to be very good as well. I've put them up against Nikon's and Maven's with larger objectives, but I think the Leica's are better.

Maybe I'll up the ante and get Swarovski's one of these days, but my Zeiss/Leica combo have served me well for many years.

My wife carried a pair of Leupold Mark 4's on our last trip and they seemed pretty decent for the money.

I've stopped using harnesses that leave the ocular or objective lenses exposed to dust/rain/etc.

I picked up a Marsupial Gear chest pack, I like it much better.

Leica Geovid ranging 10x42. I use Swaros in 8x30 and 10x40 as well

Sorry if this has been asked, or there are previous threads on it, but I tried searching in multiple ways and could not find anything on the subject?

Sooo, what do all of you use while on Safari? Brand, Model, Power?

I have mostly used Swarovski in the past but have been using a lot of Meopta lately. I have their 8x30’s, 10x42’s, and 15x56’s…
Though I’m thinking of bringing my old Doctor Optic 8x30 Aspherical binoculars this coming trip, wonderful glass!
When son and I go over July 2025 i'll be using my Meopta Meostar B+ 10x42's, i'll be using them for a Tahr hunt July this year, i'll also be taking my Meopta S2 Spotter.

8x30's are my preferred size. It's the right balance of size & weight.

I specifically use Zeiss Victory 8x32's and 10x32's. I prefer the 8's when I'm on a stalk and the 10's in the truck.

Does anyone know if the Swarovski EL Range TA 10x32 has field flattening lens like the regular Swarovski EL 10x32?
Thanks.

Leica Geovid 10X42 for both Tina and myself. I really didn't need to use the rangefinder often, but having good glass in a chest rig came in handy for viewing birds and lot's of non game animals.

After our hunt we toured Pilanesburg and saw a Brown Hyena during daylight carrying something in it's mouth. From what everyone has told me, getting a good look at a Brown Hyena in daylight is a rare occurence, and viewing it through good glass made it all the more enjoyable.

Swarovski CL Companion 8x30. They are clear and bright and as @Kevin Peacocke says, plenty of power for the glassing I do. I added the Els & Company sling strap because it looks so proper!
View attachment 584017
That leather strap is beautiful - even “stylish”…it also looks like it weighs as much as the binnoculars….Kidding a bit. I also like nice things and sometimes Form over rides Function - are these straps better then a lighter neoprene strap?

That leather strap is beautiful - even “stylish”…it also looks like it weighs as much as the binnoculars….Kidding a bit. I also like nice things and sometimes Form over rides Function - are these straps better then a lighter neoprene strap?
No doubt it weighs more than a neoprene strap. However, the difference is slight. I have carried them all day and never noticed the weight. Is the strap better than a neoprene one? Oh yes.

No doubt it weighs more than a neoprene strap. However, the difference is slight. I have carried them all day and never noticed the weight. Is the strap better than a neoprene one? Oh yes.
DOUG3006, that strap looks so good - and well crated…..it’s worth the extra few ounces - Heirloom quality !

Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. I have been using them for the last 10 years and they still work great. Bought a couple more for the kids from Mark Biggerstaff and they made for great Christmas presents for them last year!

HH

Leupold BX4 8x42’s went with me on my most recent trip to Limpopo. I had no complaints at all, and plan to take them again this year.

Swarovski 10x42 EL Range. I have been using them for the last 10 years and they still work great. Bought a couple more for the kids from Mark Biggerstaff and they made for great Christmas presents for them last year!

HH
Hunting HitMan, How to I get on Your Christmas List?? You give “good stuff”.
Regarding the Swarovski 10x42 EL - great glass but Not sure how they came up with the initials “EL” because they are hardly Extra Light vs the originals (save 4 ounces ?).

Leica Geovid Pro 10x32. Compact rangefinder binoculars that have been handy.

full

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VirgieDunh

Latest profile posts

Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!! :A Yell:

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !