What binoculars do you use while on Safari?

CZDiesel

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
United States
Sorry if this has been asked, or there are previous threads on it, but I tried searching in multiple ways and could not find anything on the subject?

Sooo, what do all of you use while on Safari? Brand, Model, Power?

I have mostly used Swarovski in the past but have been using a lot of Meopta lately. I have their 8x30’s, 10x42’s, and 15x56’s…
Though I’m thinking of bringing my old Doctor Optic 8x30 Aspherical binoculars this coming trip, wonderful glass!

Swaro 8x30, 10x42 Range Finders, 10x25.

All depends on the terrain, species, and how much walking and especially climbing.

For Western Hemisphere and Europe, I use Leica 10x42 Geovid range finders. For Africa, 10x42 Leica HD. I have never had a need for range finding in Africa. However, quality optics are invaluable for judging and spotting any African game.

I use Leupold BX-4 pro-guide 10x42

My wife has a set of Zeiss Conquest 10x42

We’ve also got a set of Riton 10x42 that I typically use as either loaners or as a spare set in the truck / back up

I’ve been thinking about picking up a lightweight set of either Zeiss or Swaro 10x32’s for Africa though..

For my last trip I left the Swaro's at home and took my Leopold BX-4 10x42's. I figured that my PH and tracker would do 99% of the spotting and determining if the animal was worthy of me going after it I didn't need my higher end ones. It ended up being just that way. There were a few animals that I looked at and or for and I never did feel like I needed the better glass.

For home here in the US 90% of the time I'll have my Swaro El's 10x42's with me. Just driving around in my vehicles I usually have the Leopold's with me since they fit right into the console and that is where they live..

Ok Bob stop bullshitting how hard up cattle farmers are in usa .....:E Big Grin::A Outta:
Mike take your fine lady and some friends out for steaks ;)

In my limited experience binoculars were a waste of weight in my luggage. The PH and trackers had me on the game. I just had to find the quarry in the scope and make the shot. I carried bino’s for a day and a half never needed them and left them in the tent for the remainder of the 7&1/2 days. If the PH wanted me to have a closer look, he just handed me, his.

Swaros are getting love I see… Truth be toId I worked for Swarovski NA doing trade shows for them for their sport sales dept.
I used to use nothing but Swarovski and for good reason for many many years but I started using some other brands and found some amazing glass out there!
But Swarovski will still alway be my first love lol

Swaro 8.5x42 I couldn't ask for more. My second best binos are Tract Toric, they are incredibly nice in general and outstanding for the money.

Swaro El Range. If I’m hunting, they are on my chest.
A big part of hunting is just getting to see different types of game. If the PH sees and passes on an animal, I also want to see what they are looking at. Binoculars help fulfill my goal of exploring.
It is true that you could hunt Africa without binoculars, but you will miss the chance to see cool stuff. (Note: birds!)
Also, if you are hunting with another shooter, it is helpful to have another set of eyes watching the bullet impact and animal movement post shot.

Ok, I've haven't been to Africa yet and I feel like the poor kid on the block. I have used Wind River 10x42 all over the west, since 2000. At the time, they were the best mid range glass out their, now they are really showing their age.

My go to binocs for the last 40 years are my 10X40 Zeiss black armor. In 40 years Zeiss replaced eye cups and cleaned (no charge).

I also have one pair of Swarovski, their great, one pair of Leica not so great plus one pair of Kahles 10X40 I will allow clients to use the Kahles, no one ever touches my Zeiss.

Lon

My go to binocs for the last 40 years are my 10X40 Zeiss black armor. In 40 years Zeiss replaced eye cups and cleaned (no charge).

I also have one pair of Swarovski, their great, one pair of Leica not so great plus one pair of Kahles 10X40 I will allow clients to use the Kahles, no one ever touches my Zeiss.

Lon
That's pretty awesome, I was wondering about their service.

Swarovski CL Curio 7x21. They are very compact, but powerful and clear. I am not looking a mile, all is usually within 100m. My system is nothing around the waist or around my neck, super lght and clean, so binos in the right cago pocket, Opinel No7 in the left, bullets in loops above my left breast pocket. That is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IvanBouie1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!