Possibly dumb sling question

Axle2010

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
So let's all agree that the cobra style tooled/engraved/carved leather sling looks the best on an African rifle. That's what I've been looking at but they don't allow you to wrap your arms in them very well and I've read that they don't actually hold in place on your shoulder very well (slide down and off) especially with a heavier rifle. So what do yall use for your safari rifles that works well and looks the part?

On my .375 Ruger I have one of those rubber slings and it will not slip off of your shoulder, it goes with the rifle as it is a Houge stocked Ruger Alaskan. On my more classic .416 Rigby I have a buffalo leather cobra type sling and it works ok but I haven’t carried it near as much as the Ruger.
If I remember correctly the rubber sling is from Slogan Outdoors and the buffalo sling is from African Sporting Creations.

I use something similar to this:

Attachments

• Westley Richards 2%22 Canvas Rifle Sling in Green Canvas & Mid Tan.pdf
    954.9 KB · Views: 17
Trader Keith’s canvas sling. This photo is from their website.

IMG_0742.jpeg

Attachments

• Slogan Outdoors — Slings — Slogan Outdoors.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 23
I prefer the Trader Keiths as well. The leather slings with the leather thong ends that are tied instead of metal buckles also look right at place on a rifle for Africa.

The old GI leather slings are great. Several companies make reproductions very reasonably. I don't care for the cobra style because I'm often wearing a daypack. Those fatter slings sit on top of the pack's shoulder strap and tend to wander off my shoulder while hiking. The narrower military style sling stays nicely trapped on my shoulder between my neck and the pack's shoulder strap.

Trader Keith’s canvas sling. This photo is from their website.

View attachment 603070

Agreed, possibly the best sling made. The rubber in the weave absolutely hold it on your shoulder.

Oh, as regards the cobra style sling, IMO there is nothing Africa about them at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Africa, nor do I think I’ve ever seen one in a vintage safari picture.

The Trader Keith sling was recommended by several members here to me several years ago. Liked the first one, I own several now. Previously used leather or nylon and was constantly hitching the rifle up on my shoulder.

Agreed, possibly the best sling made. The rubber in the weave absolutely hold it on your shoulder.

Oh, as regards the cobra style sling, IMO there is nothing Africa about them at all. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in Africa, nor do I think I’ve ever seen one in a vintage safari picture.
You know I haven't seen them in pics either....I guess I just associated the wide slings with the heavy rifles and made up my own story lol. I think that T K will go great in my 375

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pshharriso

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg