Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
South Africa
Two things I just learned about using my cell phone while traveling to South Africa from California using Verizon cell service.

One: my iPhone 12 will work without getting a new sim card. It will txt, email and make calls via travel pass plan. It’s about 20$ per day. I spoke with a tier 2 technician who explained this to me. Some Verizon customer service people don’t know this

Two: I just used my phone via WiFi while I traveled to and from South Africa. I turned off my cellular data in the general settings area. I used what’s app to talk to, send pictures and txt everyone.

When I got my bill they charged me an extra $100 bucks, the reason is on iPhone 12 and above they have another setting that must be turned off to. All the way at the bottom in settings it says WiFi assist???? If on it will find cellular data and use it. So crazy. They did take that $100 off my bill.

Also you must turn on roaming as well and your phone will capture cellular data from around the world.

I hope this helps. It would have been Nice to know my phone would have worked when I was in Cape Town.

E5F8DB1C-5BEB-490C-B14B-CEAE48761742.jpeg
87A0CC1E-3C06-48DE-87E7-49B76060A5B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have Verizon and was curious as to how that would work when I travel to Namibia next year. Thanks!

Great info!

I have Verizon as well. Looking at the length of my trip it appears it would approximately $100 to use Verizon Travel Pass or $10 daily. I am still wondering if I would do better to skip the International Travel Pass, keep my iPhone in Airplane Mode while in South Africa, and use WhatsApp for all communications home. From what my outfitter has told me, we will have WiFi in both lodges where we will be staying.

Has anyone ever purchased a Vodafone e-sim card at the airport in Jo'berg and gone with that instead? I'm interested in learning how that worked for you.

I have Verizon as well. Looking at the length of my trip it appears it would approximately $100 to use Verizon Travel Pass or $10 daily. I am still wondering if I would do better to skip the International Travel Pass, keep my iPhone in Airplane Mode while in South Africa, and use WhatsApp for all communications home. From what my outfitter has told me, we will have WiFi in both lodges where we will be staying.

Has anyone ever purchased a Vodafone e-sim card at the airport in Jo'berg and gone with that instead? I'm interested in learning how that worked for you.
My experience with Verizon Travel Pass is to pass on it.

I set it up 2 years ago for my hunt. I am on a pre pay plan with them so I added $100 to my account before I left for South Africa. I tried to make a call to the US from the airport in Joberg, couldn't get it to work, however I did get a text message that they charged me and deducted $10 for the next 24 hours. We arrived in Port Elizabeth and I tried another call, yep it didn't work.

All I managed to do in 10 days was to be charged $30 for trying to make a call along with their text message telling me that the money was deducted from my balance.

After that I gave up trying to get it to work, I kept it touch with emails and post on FB and a couple of forums.

Fast forward to this past February, knowing that I had to add money to my account for their travel pass to get my phone to work during a trip through areas out west here I added $30 to my account and set up travel pass. Yep, you guessed it. It didn't work. When I tried to make a call I got a recording saying that I could only make 911 calls.

I spent a hour on a call with their customer service with them telling me that it was my problem but they couldn't tell me what the problem was.

I always put my phone on airplane mode when I leave the US and never take it off until I return home. While in SA I use the wifi at lodges and use WhatsApp or regular texting with family. I’ve also used FaceTime to call home every evening (morning at home). You can also use WhatsApp to make calls. No need for Travel Pass

I have T-Mobile, .25 per minute calls, free WiFi calls back to the USA, unlimited texting, medium speed data(fast enough for email), high speed data pass is $50 for 30 days. Use it up before 30 days just buy another. But with WiFi in camp, that’s not likely.

I’m glad it worked for you. I have AT&T and the rate for international use is $10 per day. It was absolutely useless in Namibia last year. I didn’t get a SIM card there so I relied on WiFi and WhatsApp for communication

Put your phone on airplane mode and use wifi and WhatsApp. I do almost all of my calls and texts that way. In my experience, Spectrum has the best international rates (free texting) and there is no charge for just turning your phone on like with other companies. We have Spectrum now but wifi and WhatsApp is what we use the most.

Safe travels

I use T-Mobile and wifi calling in RSA, no sim card swap necessary.

I’m glad it worked for you. I have AT&T and the rate for international use is $10 per day. It was absolutely useless in Namibia last year. I didn’t get a SIM card there so I relied on WiFi and WhatsApp for communication
My experience, it’s worthless in Namibia and South Africa.

I've had decent luck with the Verizon travel pass. The $10 daily like others mentioned. I still use whatsapp regardless.
No wifi in camp in south africa last year but was still able to call and text as well as the locals.
I've used it also in England, Costa Rica , and El salvador with similar results. Not great but always able to get by.

Thanks for this detailed info. I stay on airplane mode on all of my trips. With Verizon iPhone you can call and text from WiFi without WhatsApp just like a normal network.
I am in Guatemala on a mission trip now and am amazed and frankly frustrated with all the kids on network all day($20x7 days=$140 but daddy’s paying!).
Carrying their battery chargers to the home building sites and constantly checking their phones.
When I leave home I need to be only mildly connected. Email and text is 95% of what I do.
Turn it off and enjoy!

ATT has $10 per day, max $100 per month international plan. ATT generally has best network coverage in most foreign countries. Calls and texts. Wifi what's app on local Wi-Fi networks. I prefer what's app but found out not all my us friends on what's app.

One Sim is another option. Used to use them before I had T-mobile. Swapped out the card on the plane and was ready to go when landed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gwol1f

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)