FINALLY!!!

DON'T WAIT TILL YOU GET BACK, START LOOKING FOR THAT 2ND TRIP NOW.
The plan is to hopefully have the missus so in love with it she starts talking about the return trip before we leave. :D

My new stock should be in next week. Boyd's makes one at 14.75" LOP, that ought to do. Rear aluminum pillar bedding. That's precisely the spot where the OEM stock cracked.

I have a nice pair or Merrell's, but they're more mountain boots, bought them for the North Central Idaho black bear hunt last year.

Had to send the stock back, the pillar holes in the stock were off by enough I could only get the first thread of the pillar screws to start.

By the by, I know I need to be ready for a fairly wide variation in temps, potential lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 80s. I'm not worried about trousers so much, but what about jackets? I like fleece outer wear, but I'm not sure it'll hold up with the wait-a-minute vines and thorns.

Suggestions on outerwear are welcome.

A light fleece sweater and a cotton jacket. Cabela’s used to make a great one in their discontinued safari line.

Had to send the stock back, the pillar holes in the stock were off by enough I could only get the first thread of the pillar screws to start.

By the by, I know I need to be ready for a fairly wide variation in temps, potential lows in the 40s and highs in the upper 80s. I'm not worried about trousers so much, but what about jackets? I like fleece outer wear, but I'm not sure it'll hold up with the wait-a-minute vines and thorns.

Suggestions on outerwear are welcome.
Couldn't use longer screws?

Fantastic you booked your first hunt!! I just returned home from another safari today, my first one was way back in 1988!! As to footwear, don't overthink that too much. The past 4 or 5 trips I have taken a pair of Oboz I purchased at Sportsmans Warehouse. If you do not already own some, look into some quality wool socks.

Couldn't use longer screws?
It wasn't the length, it's that they didn't align with the holes. The screws are tapered just enough on the first thread that I could get the first thread started (maybe). I might could have forced them, but I wasn't certain if they were actually getting started in straight, or if they were starting to cross-thread.

Agree 100 percent with Andrew on the socks. Good wool socks just as important as the boots.
I have a few pairs of nice Merino wool socks. I got that covered.

For outerwear this past July, I had bought a couple Cabelas items, heavier cotton canvas camo shirts for outer (Instinct?) plus a Squall jacket for early morning; camo Mechanix gloves. Light long underwear for shirt and under pants, merino socks. I've used the Duluth Trading Company Firehose pants in neutral green or tan, really like those with extra pockets, perfect for the winter in RSA. A neutral color or camo beanie cap is nice for mornings that you can pull over a ball cap also.

Bringing my 9.3x62, maybe my 6.5x55 for the smaller ones. I know I don't really need it, but it's a fun gun to shoot.

blue wildebeest, gemsbok, impala, warthog, and blesbok are what I'm after.
@sgt_zim
Mate you are going to have the best time you ever had with your clothes on. You WILL fall in love with Africa.
I love your choice of weapons and despite what the nay sayers will say with those calibers and your choice of game you will get by with 160gn Woodleigh RNSP in the 6.5x55 and 250gr accubonds in the 9.3x62 incase the range moves out a bit but you already know this.
If your camp food is anything like we had go on a diet before you leave. We all put on weight with the food despite the exercise we had each day.
Looking forward to your hunt report. Are you taking the family with you or hunting on your own.
Bob

@sgt_zim
Mate you are going to have the best time you ever had with your clothes on. You WILL fall in love with Africa.
I love your choice of weapons and despite what the nay sayers will say with those calibers and your choice of game you will get by with 160gn Woodleigh RNSP in the 6.5x55 and 250gr accubonds in the 9.3x62 incase the range moves out a bit but you already know this.
If your camp food is anything like we had go on a diet before you leave. We all put on weight with the food despite the exercise we had each day.
Looking forward to your hunt report. Are you taking the family with you or hunting on your own.
Bob
Bringing the missus only.

Likely ammo for my 9.3 is going to be Oryx 285. I have a good load worked up with those, but I have a bunch of 286 gr A Frames, and about to order some 258 gr Shock Hammers.

I never could get a decent group with the Accubonds or Partitions.

Congrats on getting your first safari booked. Sounds like you have a good list of animals you want to hunt. Enjoy the next 12 months of planning and getting your gear in order, that is an enjoyable part of the experience for me.
@Fatback
Having a list of animals you want is a good idea BUT be prepared to change.
My son had a zebra on his list. Due to the cost I let him have it as I couldn't afford 2. On arrival our PH said if any one wants 2 zebra the could have the 2nd half price. Needless to say I added it to my list very quickly. My son was out with the PH/ property owner and came across a nice female oryx. The PH told my son to shoot it. My son declined as it was on my list not his, again due to price. The PH told him it was a cull animal and he could have it for free. Needless to say my son didn't have to be told twice. Up came the 308 and down went the oryx. Nice almost 40" but one horn had a slight bend. Didn't worry my son. When he got back to camp to say I was a bit pissed was an understatement. I thought I had on less animal I could hunt until he explained it to me.
So be prepared to change your wish list.
Orys is one animal I wish I had shoulder mounted they are the prince of the horned animals in my book.
Bob

Absolutely! Have a list but be flexible too. You never know what treasures fate will send your way. Back in 2009, when I made my first trip, I could have added a Leopard for a trophy fee that today seems unbelievable. Been kicking myself for not taking the opportunity.

Absolutely! Have a list but be flexible too. You never know what treasures fate will send your way. Back in 2009, when I made my first trip, I could have added a Leopard for a trophy fee that today seems unbelievable. Been kicking myself for not taking the opportunity.
Same here for not hunting a caracal or big kudu that were offered.

A question on foot gear.

I have a nice pair of heavy-soled Merrills and a pair of vibram-soled Justin lacers. The lacers aren't great hiking boots, they're kinda heavy. But they have 10" heavy leather uppers.

My issue on finding boots is I wear 13B or 14A. I'd like to get a pair of Courtneys, but I imagine they'll flop around on my feet like my under armour slides.
@sgt_zim
Footwear is a personal thing.
To me as long as they are comfortable, water proof, breathable, give good ankle support and light. You will be doing a lot of walking.
MY personal preference is Magnum brand security boots ( made in England).. Mine have severed me well for 10 years and have done a lot of work in the Australian bush, walking in Canada, Ireland, Wales, England and France. They also served me well traipsing around Namibia and still serving me well in Australia.
The beauty of them is they only cost me $220Aud. A lot of security firms use then and at one stage they were the boot issued to the NSW police force. So they must be alright in my book that's why I bought them. My son has a pair as well and loves them.
Bob

Bringing the missus only.

Likely ammo for my 9.3 is going to be Oryx 285. I have a good load worked up with those, but I have a bunch of 286 gr A Frames, and about to order some 258 gr Shock Hammers.

I never could get a decent group with the Accubonds or Partitions.
@sgt_zim
DONT OVER THINK IT. If'n the 285 oryx work well just take them. Don't go trying different stuff you will only confuse yourself and start 2nd guessing your choice.
Bob

Bringing my 9.3x62, maybe my 6.5x55 for the smaller ones. I know I don't really need it, but it's a fun gun to shoot.

blue wildebeest, gemsbok, impala, warthog, and blesbok are what I'm after.

That matches my first list. Got them all plus a Black Wildebeest, waterbuck, springbok, white blesbuck and a red hartebeast...kind of blew my budget!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EugeniaVel

Latest profile posts

Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)
Woods wrote on Hunter-Habib's profile.
Forgive me if this is the incorrect area, I signed up to this forum just now because I wanted to be on the list to purchase a copy of your autobiography. Please feel free to pass my information along to whomever is selling. Thank you so much. I look forward to it!
I like the Tillie in my picture. They are supposed to fit loose (2 fingers inside hat band), have mesh for cooling, and hold their shape after washing.