FINALLY!!!

A question on foot gear.

I have a nice pair of heavy-soled Merrills and a pair of vibram-soled Justin lacers. The lacers aren't great hiking boots, they're kinda heavy. But they have 10" heavy leather uppers.

My issue on finding boots is I wear 13B or 14A. I'd like to get a pair of Courtneys, but I imagine they'll flop around on my feet like my under armour slides.

The problem with most light hikers is that the soles are not made for stalking, they are noisy! Probably not a big deal on a rifle hunt for PG, but a deal killer on buffalo and elephant. The one light hiker I’ve found with a semi reasonable stalking sole is the Merrill chameleon. I also saw some keens with soft soles but they don’t fit me.

Russell makes a good boot but they have serious issues keeping their soles glued on. After 3 pairs and countless sole re-glues I’ve given up on them.

Courteney has been the best solution for me, but I wear a size 10 so it’s pretty simple.

Congratulations on booking your first safari. You only have one "FIRST" safari, so enjoy it all. Will be watching for your first hunt report on your return.

A question on foot gear.

I have a nice pair of heavy-soled Merrills and a pair of vibram-soled Justin lacers. The lacers aren't great hiking boots, they're kinda heavy. But they have 10" heavy leather uppers.

My issue on finding boots is I wear 13B or 14A. I'd like to get a pair of Courtneys, but I imagine they'll flop around on my feet like my under armour slides.
youve got plenty of time to have some bespoke, custom hunting boots made that will fit your 13B feet like a glove... that have a price tag in the same range as a pair of Courteneys...

Several members here have had Al at James Leddy boots make a pair of "africa" style hunting boots for them.. his turn around time us usually about 90 days.. (so plenty of time to arrange a trip to Abilene to get measured, get the boots made, and still have plenty of time to wear them for a little while and get them good and broken in)...

My JL boots are far and away the most comfortable boots I own.. Ive worn them on 2x hunts in South Africa so far and they have performed perfectly..

I used Lowa's on my trip. They worked well for me as an all around boot. Would not be as comfortable in the mountains, the souls are a little soft for that, IMHO. A good boot that you can walk for miles in comfortably and you are good to go.

The rabbit hole now, your trip is planned and you have to control your mind from buying all the new gear you " think you need".
sitting here trying to figure out what I do need, if anything other than boots and a jacket, maybe a pair of gaiters. I have a heavy camo jacket, but it's for sitting still in the deer woods when temps are below 40. it's a sweat-fest to walk more than a couple hundred yards even if it's in the 20s.

I usually just wear my subdued Carhartt pants when I'm hunting - olive, khaki, or "Carhartt brown"

Doesn't always work but check the historical weather on Accuweather.com. This year one day started out with frost and a -1C temperature only to rise to the mid 60s during the day. I layer and shed as the day progresses.

Lowa Renegades worked for me also. A fitter at REI actually knew what she was doing and got me sized correctly. (A half size longer than normal.) Made a huge difference to my old feet. Hint: pull out both intersoles and stand on them to see if size looks correct.

I used Courtney's on my 2021 trip and came back with a good case of plantar fasciitis. (Probably more a function of my old feet, but I'll stay with the Lowas.)

Very nice choice of animals for your first trip....be open-minded if a big Kudu suddenly shows up. Saw an awesome waterbuck my first time and should have asked about it, regretful later. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Booked my first hunt - RSA with @Limcroma Safaris for August of 2024.

Dan and Hannes have been very helpful.

First-class operation in every way!

All consummate, expereinced professionals at Limcroma! You are in excellent hands for your first African safari!

Congratulations! There is nothing like a fist safari. Your rifle choices sound spot on.
Boots: I’ve used Rocky Outback’s on both of my trips and I’ll use them on my next.

A lot of the fun is the planning! You’re going to think and rethink everything. If you try Courtney boots you’ll be limited to the Selous model, I think that’s the only one in our size I wear a 13 with pretty narrow feet and mine work just fine. Enjoy the anticipation!

Congrats. you will enjoy !

As for boots, never felt the need for them, just used well worn hiking shoes.

Brought two pair, just in case...

Well pisser. Discovered a crack in my 9.3 stock a few minutes ago, down under the receiver.

About to order a Boyd's, just trying to figure out how they define LOP on a raw stock. Planning on having them install a 1" Decelerator and buying the 14" stock. Wondering if the indicated 14" would include the recoil pad or if I can expect 15", which is what I really want.

Congrats on booking your first Safari. Don't worry about hunt boots, just use hiking shoes. Limpopo is not a mountainous area, so you don’t the ankle support.

Congrats on booking your first Safari. Don't worry about hunt boots, just use hiking shoes. Limpopo is not a mountainous area, so you don’t the ankle support.
The area that I hunted in Limpopo was pretty mountainous at least from some one that comes from sea level. A picture from up high!

Attachments

• 946335BF-1D88-4CC3-9593-80750137B7DB.jpeg
    946335BF-1D88-4CC3-9593-80750137B7DB.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 53
youve got plenty of time to have some bespoke, custom hunting boots made that will fit your 13B feet like a glove... that have a price tag in the same range as a pair of Courteneys...

Several members here have had Al at James Leddy boots make a pair of "africa" style hunting boots for them.. his turn around time us usually about 90 days.. (so plenty of time to arrange a trip to Abilene to get measured, get the boots made, and still have plenty of time to wear them for a little while and get them good and broken in)...

My JL boots are far and away the most comfortable boots I own.. Ive worn them on 2x hunts in South Africa so far and they have performed perfectly..

That's SA ...you need to bring them to zambia so you can test them in proper Africa..... :E Rofl: :A Outta:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanaKraker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?