Client killed Kafue National Park, Zambia

Indeed sad news, tourists just wanted photos. I shall not watch the videos.

I can tell one thing. The person doing the filming had some intestinal fortitude! They kept it going until the end. RIP to the victim.

The video is not graphic at all, it only shows the ele charging the vehicle and flipping it over.

Idiots around dg game.....
They cant read body language....should never have stopped....
I have said it so many times....ears are ALLWAYS OUT not tucked in on a actual charge.....this one was determined from the start.....lone bull...horny....

Same shit happened in Pilanesburg with a truck not a bakkie.....luckily nobody was killed in that one....

Sadly someine died in Zambia....tragic and totally avoidable....
Completely agree!!!

@Jeff505 and I experienced the same thing twice in the Luangwa! All except the deadly outcome. Still a closer deal than we would prefer. The elephants there are being harassed so much that they’ve become homicidal! My prayers for the dead and their loved ones. So tragic.

I didn't...just noticed it...asked Wayne to check what going on.....
April 1, It was apropos! It took 39 hours for anyone to notice. Damn.

Lon, the ele was not baited.
In fact quite the opposite. The guide got caught in a tight spot and moved off road to give the ele a wide berth. The ele noticed them and made a determined effort to get them. Driver got into a position where he could not more forward any further.

Not good decision making, but also not baited.
Reason he gave a wide berth as soon as seeing the ele is it is known to be a bit ill tempered and tried to get around and away.

This is what has been reported to me so far.
Whether there is more to the story, time will tell.

Sad news. Lufupa is a lovely area and unfortunately the ele in Kafue are generally short tempered. Even in the hunting concessions to the south of Kafue where my dad used to hunt regularly, there were many a plaque attached to trees where ele had killed people.
I'll go with your 'baiting' assessment because I trust you. That it was not intentional.
But, it sure looks like baiting when the vehicle varies it speed and the Elephant responds in kind to continue pursuit.
Judgement error on the pros part.

I'll go with your 'baiting' assessment because I trust you. That it was not intentional.
But, it sure looks like baiting when the vehicle varies it speed and the Elephant responds in kind to continue pursuit.
Judgement error on the pros part.

And who would admit to baiting/harassing the elephant when this was the result.

Seems reasonable to wait for all facts to come out before labeling someone personally responsible for anothers death.

This was not a stupid tourist in a rental vehicle in Kruger putting themselves in harms way through ignorance or stupidity.

How did the professional get into the "tight spot"? The Elephant did not apparate and present a surprise from behind a bush.
The Guide got too close to this Elephant. The animal did not like it. Period.
"Too close" is always determined by the Elephant in that moment, just like it is with a Grizzly Bear.

If a professional is in charge or your safety, they are responsible. The guests were in a vehicle being driven by the professional in whose judgement they trusted. That is why the law requires international hunters to follow a PH's direction. It is the law. They are supposed to know better.

And who would admit to baiting/harassing the elephant when this was the result.

They do not have to be harassing the Elephant. Simply entering "it's space" is enough for an Elephant to take "offence". ie. Bait it. What's his name, Ivan Carter, is famous for "approaches" with Clients. Watch the videos, you will know the exact moment that they "cross the line". The Elephants reactions tell it all. Ivan has a gun and that changes the game.

Obviously, if they could have been on a clean tar road and been able to accelerate to 80 kph the Elephant would have been left in the dust to his personal frustrations.

This past August in the Save we had an large Cow Ele with what looked like a dependent young calf charge at our truck from her herd while we passed a water hole. We took off 150-200 yards, slowed to look back and she was still charging.
We took off again 150-200 yards to see her veer off into the brush to come back out behind us by maybe 30 yards. She was stalking us.

This cat and mouse game went on 4-5 more times to about 3/4 mile or more. We only slowed periodically as we did not want the mad cow following us into the village while enraged. The Parks Ranger had stated that Ele was going to get herself shot by continuing the chase on us.

I've done game drives in which we had close encounters with Elepahnts in RSA. Now having hunted them and seen an enraged elephant first hand. I never want to be in a position to not be sufficiently equipped while in their territory. It can turn so quickly as it did for this poor group of tourists. The power of these animals in simply extraordinary.

Here is the view from the truck elephant is minding his own business.....guide(if you can call that) decides not to keep his distance but rather turn around and confront the bull head on......and loses the fight......idiot.....
In this video it looks like the tourist truck was at the end of the road and at a turn around point. The driver seemed to be impatient about waiting on the elephant to peacefully move on its way.

At the end of the video it can be clearly seen that the elephant had moved away from the road for the tourist truck to safely be on its way yet the driver seemed to wanted to continue antagonizing the elephant.

Yes. What an idiot.

This was not a stupid tourist in a rental vehicle in Kruger putting themselves in harms way through ignorance or stupidity.

How did the professional get into the "tight spot"? The Elephant did not apparate and present a surprise from behind a bush.
The Guide got too close to this Elephant. The animal did not like it. Period.
"Too close" is always determined by the Elephant in that moment, just like it is with a Grizzly Bear.

If a professional is in charge or your safety, they are responsible. The guests were in a vehicle being driven by the professional in whose judgement they trusted. That is why the law requires international hunters to follow a PH's direction. It is the law. They are supposed to know better.

Do you have access to some video that we all don't or do you have some sort of super power to see what wasn't in the video? You have no clue until further evidence is presented of any stupidity or wrong doing on the drivers or other professional in the vehicles' part. The elephant was pursuing them from behind at a reasonable distance for a tourist vehicle. Where did you see them pointing the vehicle at the elephant, cornering it, harassing it, chasing it, etc.? How do you know that they didn't just happen upon the elephant at too close of a distance at some point through no fault of their or the animals own? How do you know there wasn't a fallen tree in a tight brushy spot in the road that blocked them? Maybe a washout or collapsed section of road from an aardvark/warthog burrow? They did say that the terrain and vegetation presented a problem for the vehicle and we did see the vehicle backing up in the video. Another vehicle became incapacitated, stuck, blocked?

You really seem to want to blame someone in this.

I can tell one thing. The person doing the filming had some intestinal fortitude! They kept it going until the end. RIP to the victim.

Intestinal fortitude, ??. Or just plain ignorance,??, wanting to post a Social Media video so they could get a few likes or followers.

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.