Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASC
Hunted
UK, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire, Dumfries and Galloway, Isle of Arran (Scotland). RSA, North West, Kalahari, Limpopo
Went to the range today to shoot my 505. Anyway had a few too many click bangs than one would want. Cases are brand new, powder is N165 135 grns of and I'm using cci mag primers. Bullet is a 525 grn. The powder charge practically fills the case so I'm ruling out a flash over. Other than that I'm thinking damp powder.

Thoughts if you may. Thanks a million

I would say it’s the primer.

I use the same primers in all my other large rifle cases but I see the logic. Do y'all think the primers have got a little damp?? If so can they be dried out? Hard to find lrg mag primers in the UK

In my experience primers are pretty resilient little things and not really subject to dampness as a failure point. But if you think that there's not harm in pulling them out and putting them with a fan blowing on them, or even a dehumidifier.

But if the powder on the other hand was damp that'd be a bigger concern. One super basic check would be to pull the bullet (gently with a collect style puller, NOT a kinetic hammer) and then dump the powder to see if it came out free pour or clumpy. If clumpy, Id think that replacing it might be in order.

In my experience primers are pretty resilient little things and not really subject to dampness as a failure point. But if you think that there's not harm in pulling them out and putting them with a fan blowing on them, or even a dehumidifier.

But if the powder on the other hand was damp that'd be a bigger concern. One super basic check would be to pull the bullet (gently with a collect style puller, NOT a kinetic hammer) and then dump the powder to see if it came out free pour or clumpy. If clumpy, Id think that replacing it might be in order.
I have just dried my powder in the oven. Dont worry its not a gas oven. i had it in there at 40c for about 30mins to warm it through

Out of curiosity, when you pulled it from the cases did it pour smoothly?
ive not pulled any ammo yet this was just out of the can. Give me a moment I shall pull a few

so I have a friend that shoots lots of really big guns, 505gibbs included. I just texted him to confirm what it thought. It’s the primer. He found that federal match magnums are the only primer that would reliably ignite that much powder. He tried CCI & Win as well.

Things don't sound right. If it was the powder you would hear a bang, boom. With no click.

A click, boom sounds like the primer. There can be a number of problems for this from a weak firing pin spring to defective primers.

But in 50+ years of loading rounds I've never heard of it except for when moisture got into the primers causing a delayed reaction.

So I have just pulled 20 rounds no powder clumps all smooth as Cindys legs.

Have you ruled out the Firing Pin and or Spring causing light Primer Strikes Have a SC Win Mod 70 that was experiencing light Primer Strikes a new and stronger spring solved the problem
I dont think its the pin or spring. The rifle has hardly seen any work and I shot off some primed cases just to get the feel of it and they all went off without any issues

so I have a friend that shoots lots of really big guns, 505gibbs included. I just texted him to confirm what it thought. It’s the primer. He found that federal match magnums are the only primer that would reliably ignite that much powder. He tried CCI & Win as well.
This makes sense. I wonder if a 50BMG spec primer will do the trick?? Something tells me they are bigger though

215M federal primer is the only thing I use in high volume cases like the 416R or the Gibbs. Just like women, the hotter the better!

Sounds like damp primers then

215M federal primer is the only thing I use in high volume cases like the 416R or the Gibbs. Just like women, the hotter the better!
I might get a T shirt with that on. I like my primers like my women, magnum and hot :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Wait a minute...gotta think this through.

Like, the powder came out smooth, no clumping.

Who is Cindy? Before I ask or emoji anything else.:cool:
Who is Cindy?? Really!!!? Cindy Crawford man. The perfect primer, though be it a small mag primer not a magnum

Maybe oil in your hands/fingers and the primers got contaminated. Also, check and see how is the indentation, maybe delayed ignition due to weak primer strike. I would fire some of those primers without powder and see how they react.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
upreports

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.