Click BANG!!!

CCI primers are harder than others, I've had the same problem. I've replaced firing pin springs, as they should be every so often, that has always solved the problem. But 215M work every time

Exactly, and this is why I'm thinking it's the primer. Otherwise, it would be a small bang (primer detonation), followed by the bigger bang (powder ignition). Not, click, bang. :E Shrug:
Well I do have a fresh pack of 1000 primers I can try from. Only that that's confusing me is the 20 primed cases I fired this morning all went off without an issue

The primers can be compromised but still ignite. The click bang is actually the primer pop muffled by the loaded case. You absolutely have an issue with the primer or powder but experimenting with either or both in a loaded round is very dangerous. New powder old bad primer doesn’t fix it and new primer and bad powder doesn’t fix it. Each shot with those components is rolling the dice.

If you have any cases that didn't fire with primers still in them, gently press out the primers and you can see if they fired or not, or incomplete burn. Also take some of the pulled rounds with primers only and fire them to see of the reports are all equal. Maybe even compare sound to fresh, known good primed (but not loaded) cases.

If you have any cases that didn't fire with primers still in them, gently press out the primers and you can see if they fired or not, or incomplete burn. Also take some of the pulled rounds with primers only and fire them to see of the reports are all equal. Maybe even compare sound to fresh, known good primed (but not loaded) cases.
All 20 of the cases with primers had the same report. I seem to remember the last tub of n165 powder i had no issues with and used the same batch of primers

I use the same primers in all my other large rifle cases but I see the logic. Do y'all think the primers have got a little damp?? If so can they be dried out? Hard to find lrg mag primers in the UK
@norfolk shooter
Yes they can be dried or in a very very hot oven.
If'n they go bang they were fine. Ifn they don't go bang they were faulty
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

So I have just pulled 20 rounds no powder clumps all smooth as Cindys legs.
@norfolk shooter
I didn't know your wife's name was Cindy. I thought it was something else. Just wait till I talk to you best time I will get to the bottom of this.
Bob

Wait a minute...gotta think this through.

Like, the powder came out smooth, no clumping.

Who is Cindy? Before I ask or emoji anything else.:cool:
@Ridge Runner
It sure ain't his wife mate I've spoken to her she's a lovely lady but if'n she finds out about Cindy me thinks he will be in the shit
Bob

I might get a T shirt with that on. I like my primers like my women, magnum and hot :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
@norfolk shooter
I wouldn't
A magnum refers to something oversize like a magnum of champagne about twice the normal size.
So that may not go well advertising you like big hot women.
Remember I have seen and spoken to your wife and she is definitely ain't big but she is very nice.
Bob
Ha the gas fumes from those boilers got to you finally.

The dangers of reloading. I'll never understand it. Especially for DG.
Best of luck.

If proper procedures are followed there is nothing wrong with home loaded ammo.

Novice re loaders make a lot of mistakes from leaving the cap off of a bottle of powder to handling primers with their bare fingers that may or may not have some contaminate on them.

A couple of years ago I condensed all of my loading information into a single book and while I was doing it I added up all the rounds that I have loaded. It was over 50,000 of mostly pistol but also about a quarter of them being rifle rounds.

In all that time I have only had a single problem. A load that I was using to fireform a wildcat case where I didn't have enough powder in the charge. But other than that every single round went bang when I pulled the trigger, and even that one round went bang.

The big thing with loading your own ammo you need to pay attention, if you don't you may get into trouble.

@Ridge Runner
It sure ain't his wife mate I've spoken to her she's a lovely lady but if'n she finds out about Cindy me thinks he will be in the shit
Bob

Ought Oh....I'm thinking we need to hurry up and get @norfork shooter to add us to his will leaving his friearms collection to us. Just in case he doesn't make in out, up right, from the hospital after his wife finds out about Cindy and her smooth legs.:E Rofl::E Rofl:

Ought Oh....I'm thinking we need to hurry up and get @norfork shooter to add us to his will leaving his friearms collection to us. Just in case he doesn't make in out, up right, from the hospital after his wife finds out about Cindy and her smooth legs.:E Rofl::E Rofl:
@Ridge Runner.
I think you would get much pleasure out of his4 bore Dowling piece or his nose sxs ten bore.
His ten bore is only fractionly shorter than him and when he swings it on a flock of ducks after firing it he is still turning in circles.
On thin he does enjoy his big toys like his 505.
Bob

Ten bore isn't a problem, have one. Now that 4 bore and 505 I wouldn't mind trying at least one shot out of each. If I survive then we might have to flip a coin. :E Rofl:

Guys I love that 4 bote and the 505. Feel free to have a shot on them. Both bloody good fun.

@Philip Glass load development is precisely that development and getting it right. Then your good to go in the field. All the deer ive taken apart from x2 have been done with home loads. Also all my DG (OK it's only x2) have been home loads. In terms of how many deer I take per annum it's around 50-60 in a typical year in a good year it has numbered 126

Ten bore isn't a problem, have one. Now that 4 bore and 505 I wouldn't mind trying at least one shot out of each. If I survive then we might have to flip a coin. :E Rofl:
@Ridge Runner
If'n @ Norfolk shooter can handle the 4 bore you should be fine after all he is only a little takker. Even tho he is vertically challenged he packs a lot of personality into that package. He's a top little bloke and I talk to him regularly and am proud to call him a friend.
Bob

@Ridge Runner
If'n @ Norfolk shooter can handle the 4 bore you should be fine after all he is only a little takker. Even tho he is vertically challenged he packs a lot of personality into that package. He's a top little bloke and I talk to him regularly and am proud to call him a friend.
Bob

I figured you and @Norfolk to be good friends as you know his gun collection. Well that and his wife's name isn't Cindy.

I hope to be able to make a trip to Australia to hunt and perhaps meet some of you AH Aussie characters over a beer...or several.

1st thought is primer not seated at the correct depth.

If you have fresh powder and primers load up a few rounds with them. You will have an answer pretty quick.

I have not experience with a 505.

@Philip Glass we have many documented case of factory ammo being bad too. I can't guess at the amount of reloads I have made in my life. I'll say that nothing crazy has happened in factory or reloads. I have had failed loads on both. Not very often, it does happen in both types of ammo.

The big thing for myself, I work up a load. I know for a fact what is in it and what I can expect out of it. Even factory ammo for DG, it is going to be the same lot number and I'm going to check and verify speed and function of that ammo in the rifle I'm going to take.

1st thought is primer not seated at the correct depth.

If you have fresh powder and primers load up a few rounds with them. You will have an answer pretty quick.

I have not experience with a 505.

@Philip Glass we have many documented case of factory ammo being bad too. I can't guess at the amount of reloads I have made in my life. I'll say that nothing crazy has happened in factory or reloads. I have had failed loads on both. Not very often, it does happen in both types of ammo.

The big thing for myself, I work up a load. I know for a fact what is in it and what I can expect out of it. Even factory ammo for DG, it is going to be the same lot number and I'm going to check and verify speed and function of that ammo in the rifle I'm going to take.
I know, I know. Factory ammo fails too. Someone has to win the lottery. I am sorry to chuckle at all of the posts of reload failures. I just can't help it. I just don't want to hear about it (like we often do) on a DG hunt.

I know, I know. Factory ammo fails too. Someone has to win the lottery. I am sorry to chuckle at all of the posts of reload failures. I just can't help it. I just don't want to hear about it (like we often do) on a DG hunt.
No one wants problems when it comes to a DG hunt. It is more than just yourself at risk. I understand why you feel reloads are a failure point.

I am not trying to change you mind, you have a valid point. Some people should not reload. The other side of the coin, people that know what they are doing will have a more reliable round than factory. For the most part, I am painting with a broad brush. Most that reload shoot more. Have better knowledge of what they and their rifle are capable of. I'm not saying that is a hard rule, it is something that I have noticed. Reloading is like any other craft, some should not do it. Others are good at it, they grasped the concept and make good ammo. They you have people that really go down the rabbit hole. Those people have many years of experience and have a very good understanding of what it take to make A+++ ammo.

So, I guess to pose the question a different way. If you had to have major surgery. Would you want a machine cutting on you? Or a surgeon who has had 30 years under his belt and had 1000s of successful surgery? That might not be the best analogy, it is a view that might help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wsaacjqa

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.