Blaser ideal Africa 2 barrel set

Mike Wachtel

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
First, what opinion on Blaser as an Africa rifle? I need a Buffalo caliber, and a Duiker caliber! The Luxus model is available in .375 H&H and the seemingly common in Africa "triple two". To get a .416, you need to go to their Safari model, which doesn't offer a small caliber barrel. As I'm getting older, I want to sell/trade a bunch of my rifles and and consolidate to a single platform. I've never shot or handled a Blaser, but am intrigued. Mike Wachtel, Lacona Iowa

I use a blaser as my daily gun and back up gun on big game
Some advice
Select calibres that compliment each other
Eg if you take a 375 hh which is a magnum calibre then choose a magnum caliber in smaller caliber. This way you only change the barrel u dont have to change magazine or bolt head-which is very easy anyway
I have 2 setups
9.3x62 paired with 6.5x55 sm
And 416 RM with 300wm

U will not be sorry with a blaser they are great rifles and work very well

I had a client tecently that needed a left hand rifle, so just ordered a left hand bolt and done away we go

Btw. Diker is better to shoot with a big caliber with solid bullets does a lot less damage than a small fast calibre

All R8 barrels interchange with the limiting factors being: 1) bolt face, which is changeable, 2) stock barrel channel width, which, if wide enough for safari barrels, will allow any smaller barrel. So, the 416 is still an option. The 416/375 magnum bolt head would also take 300 win, or 6.5PRC, (and others) which you can load with solids for the tiny 10.

Peronally, we usually take 2 Blasers....

I really want a Dakota Traveler in .375 H&H but I am starting to warm up to Blasers.
I have a Blaser S2 double in .375 and it is an accurate as it is ugly! :)

First, what opinion on Blaser as an Africa rifle? I need a Buffalo caliber, and a Duiker caliber! The Luxus model is available in .375 H&H and the seemingly common in Africa "triple two". To get a .416, you need to go to their Safari model, which doesn't offer a small caliber barrel. As I'm getting older, I want to sell/trade a bunch of my rifles and and consolidate to a single platform. I've never shot or handled a Blaser, but am intrigued. Mike Wachtel, Lacona Iowa
The R8 is serving many of us well in Africa. Once you get one you will never look back. You can get ANY combination of barrels, calibers, and stocks. The barrel thickness may limit some combinations however. I'll have mine in Professional Success leather in .300 Win and topped with Swaro Z8 scope for my leopard hunt.
You can go with the most popular combination of .375 and .300Win or just stick with the .375. If you shoot Barnes TSX you will, in most cases, be able to shoot smaller animals with good success. Or you can shoot solids for your Duiker which would be ideal.

I have .22 Hornet, .30-06 and .375 H and H barrels for mine. I thought about a .22 Hornet, 7x57 and .404 Jeffrey but the delays for custom barrels and ammunition availability put me off.

I think a nice combination would be .280 Jeffrey, .333 Jeffrey and .404 Jeffrey but good luck if the airline loose your ammunition!

I have two R8s in many calibers. For me 375 and a 30-06 is the normal setup - I can do anything with some thought about loads. I carry a Z8 0.75-6 and Blaser RD20 red dot for 375 and Z8 2-16 for the 06. I also pack one spare bolt, spare bolt head and magazine for each caliber, and a spare trigger group.

I have .22 Hornet, .30-06 and .375 H and H barrels for mine. I thought about a .22 Hornet, 7x57 and .404 Jeffrey but the delays for custom barrels and ammunition availability put me off.

I think a nice combination would be .280 Jeffrey, .333 Jeffrey and .404 Jeffrey but good luck if the airline loose your ammunition!
Where do you live you you could get the Hornet? Barrels have been in the US for a year but no bolt faces.

This June we brought two R8’s with .375, 9.3x62 and .270 Win barrels in one small case. I also brought a left handed bolt for my sister.

I hunted Dik Dik and Cape Buffalo with the .375. The 9.3 was for my daughter to hunt hippo.

I own and use the .22LR barrel regularly for shooting practice and small game hunting. It is a great advantage to be able to get a variety of calibers, but I’d recommend having a bigger caliber for Africa. Invariably, while hunting Dukier, you will see a nice animal in a much bigger species.

Note: I brought the two stocks and 3 barrels in my case under my name. The case was about 44 lbs. The scopes went in my carry on. So… you could go 3 barrels, but you might never use the others after you get on a roll with the .375.

Out of my price range unfortunately:>)))

You can always look in the safe, rifles or optics that do not get used. You can sell them and fund the purchase or most of it. An R8 in 375h&h can take care of 90% of Africa if you really want to do it with one rifle (one cartridge).

I’m relatively new to the Blaser: November. When I do get back to Africa, the R8 will accompany me. Tough to beat the .375 / .300 mag combo in the standard configuration. If you want a little more gun, the .416 or .458 Lott in the safari (22mm) configuration. A standard .300 mag barrel will still fit, although with a gap in the barrel channel. Either way, just switch barrels and the magazine insert.

How do you document on the Saps paperwork the different barrels. Or are the the same serial number.
Any concerns with Saps

I list the stock as the rifle and include the serial number. I also list the barrels as “barrels” and include the serial numbers. It has not been a problem. I traveled with 2 stocks and 3 barrels in June/July though South Africa and Namibia, no issues.

According to Blaser R8 caliber chart, if you choose a Safari rifle, you cant choose 30-06 or 300WSM. But is it realy true?

6 trips to Africa (multiple countries) and on all forms I list the stock as STOCK with serial # and each barrel as “CALIBER” BARREL with serial # and never a problem at all. Going again this fall and don’t anticipate any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.