Any point in a 'small' double rifle?

First time poster so forgive mistakes, but I'm planning my first trip to Africa (probably still a few years out) and I'm starting to think more about guns to bring so I figured who better to enable me than AH. Specifically, I was thinking about buying a double rifle because to me, my first hunting trip to Africa wouldn't feel proper without a double rifle (yes I have read way too many books featuring big doubles). This has me stuck on if I should get a more practical and usable double in something like .375 H&H or 9.3x74r (this would probably be most practical as I have a Merkel drilling in the same chambering), or to get a "proper" double in .450 or .500 NE. I have the opportunity to buy a decently priced Sabatti Big Five in .500, and it's tempting me, but I know as a fact I will never use it here in BC, Canada. This leads to my main question which is, is there any real point in a double in a 'small' caliber, that can be matched with similar bolt guns? Are there any advantages if not that it can take a big F you caliber like .45+? Additionally, as much as I never need an excuse to buy new guns, does anyone here find uses with doubles in North America/ not

I use a 303 double rifle with quick detachable scope . The 303 will do anything the 308 can do so a great all round cartridge . As you live in Canada there should be plenty of ammo available or you can reload . The 303 doubles were popular for Red Deer stalking in Scotland . You could use it in Canada and for plains game . For a larger double - there are many options but I would stick with rimmed cartridges .

At some point our gear becomes perfectly sufficient under normal conditions, and we’re free to allow other considerations, such as aesthetics, to enter into our decision making. While I appreciate titanium and carbon fiber for the most extreme conditions, there’s nothing wrong with a graceful piece of figured wood under more routine circumstances. Hunting isn’t always or even usually about maximizing efficiency.

Thank you very much for your quick response! A lot of this new to me and I appreciate the advice. I am looking at a used Merkel B3 O/U in 9.3 and a used Chapuis SXS in same caliber. About a 1k Euro difference but the Chapuis comes with a Leica scope so the higher price. I am hesitant about the B3 because of the cocking mechanism (like on the K gun or a Blaser).
The cocking mechanism is a great safety device....

Look at the Blaser O/U and spend a bit more.....
Merkel also use the same block as Blaser but is not the same quality as Blaser but it is German.....

I use a 303 double rifle with quick detachable scope . The 303 will do anything the 308 can do so a great all round cartridge . As you live in Canada there should be plenty of ammo available or you can reload . The 303 doubles were popular for Red Deer stalking in Scotland . You could use it in Canada and for plains game . For a larger double - there are many options but I would stick with rimmed cartridges .
308 cant shoot 215gr bullets......

308 cant shoot 215gr bullets......
Well, while I haven't seen any 215 grain bullets in .308 diameter there are 200 and 220 grain bullets in .308 diameter. I'm sure a reload recipe could be safely developed for use in a double to regulate.

Well, while I haven't seen any 215 grain bullets in .308 diameter there are 200 and 220 grain bullets in .308 diameter. I'm sure a reload recipe could be safely developed for use in a double to regulate.
Most 308 wont shoot 200 or 220 grains they normally max out at 165gr.....who in any case wants a 308 win double rifle?

I can only say good luck with trying that if it cant shoot 200 or 220 gr out of a bolt action....

A friend of mine just loves doubles, he has even written a book about them. Among those, he has a 7x57, or had, as his wife uses it most of the time.

Most 308 wont shoot 200 or 220 grains they normally max out at 165gr.....who in any case wants a 308 win double rifle?
Well the OP asked the question; "Any point in a "small" double rifle?".

So why not a DR in .308 for a handy brush/ woods gun for deer, hogs, elk. Where shot distance is going to be under 100 yards.

SD and more versatile.....303 215gr Eland no problem.....308 165....problem

IMPO....using a .308 on an eland is a bit being under gunned. If one is going to use a .308 diameter bullet they should bump it a notch to at least a 30-06.

I can only say good luck with trying that if it cant shoot 200 or 220 gr out of a bolt action....

I would have to do the ballistics math, but I don't see why a .308 topped with a 200 grain bullet wouldn't be effective on eland or moose out to 150 to 200 yards. Then again I prefer 30-06 over 308.

I'll ask. What is the book? I too love doubles.

The Express Rifle, by Saúl Braceras

Foreword by Tony Sanchez-Ariño

ISBN: 84-609-1291-4

The OP asked a few pages ago what about 450-400 vs 470NE.

470NE is preferred for simplicity. It's designed for one bullet weight, 500gr. That takes a lot of variables out of the equation, and it permits the chance to get a factory load for all seasons.

450-400 Jeffery and its rimless equivelant 404J are well regarded for their versatility. But that versatility comes from different bullet weights. You're not going to harness all the 450-400's capabilities if you're not hand loading and regulating for 3 different grain weights.

For the non-handloader, 470NE is the preferred option IMO.

The jackalopes can charge all they want, but that cool little rifle is no longer listed on Guns International...

I do think it would be nice to have a double in .22 Hornet. A set of barrels there, maybe another set in 7X65R for whitetail, and a third set in 9.3X74. Actually, I take it back. I have some brass for 9.5X57R, which I bought thinking the R was mis-posted and they would fit in my M1910. No joy on the M1910, but I have some brass that would work great in a double... until I need to find more brass!
I had the chance to look at a 9.5 x 57 a couple of years ago. A Mannlicher Schoenauer 1910
The furniture had heavy patina (lol) but the action was as smooth as silk and a pristine bore.
Would love to be able to hunt with it

1710605275506.jpeg

And below on the right
1710605344064.jpeg

(Sorry for the rubbish photos)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WilburnHar

Latest profile posts

dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !