Any point in a 'small' double rifle?

nomienos

Reaction score
First time poster so forgive mistakes, but I'm planning my first trip to Africa (probably still a few years out) and I'm starting to think more about guns to bring so I figured who better to enable me than AH. Specifically, I was thinking about buying a double rifle because to me, my first hunting trip to Africa wouldn't feel proper without a double rifle (yes I have read way too many books featuring big doubles). This has me stuck on if I should get a more practical and usable double in something like .375 H&H or 9.3x74r (this would probably be most practical as I have a Merkel drilling in the same chambering), or to get a "proper" double in .450 or .500 NE. I have the opportunity to buy a decently priced Sabatti Big Five in .500, and it's tempting me, but I know as a fact I will never use it here in BC, Canada. This leads to my main question which is, is there any real point in a double in a 'small' caliber, that can be matched with similar bolt guns? Are there any advantages if not that it can take a big F you caliber like .45+? Additionally, as much as I never need an excuse to buy new guns, does anyone here find uses with doubles in North America/ not Africa? Would really appreciate any advice/experience/comments!

I see no reason not to get a smaller double if you please. At the same time if you hunt in Canada the big doubles will work on game there just as good there as they do in Africa. I don't own a double yet but I regularly carry my 404 when I hunt. I can promise when I take the plunge on a Heym 500 NE I will use it to kill as many pigs as I can, or deer, or coyote, whatever. A double in 9.3x74R would have loads of cool factor to it as well!

Welcome to the forum. I use my 416 Taylor in Ontario to take black bears and have carried it for whitetails, though haven’t shot one with it yet, but I will. If you want a 375 H&H double or larger buy it. Will the animal care that it has a quarter bore hole vs a forty five or fifty cal hole in it, no. Hunt with what you love and have fun doing it.

I can certainly see the use for a double in "not Africa". But it would really depend on what type of hunting you do. On a driven hunt, where game may come flying fast past you at close range, or being able to stalk really close to a deer/moose/boar/bear, sure. For those 'across-the-valley' shots, not so much.

If I ever get into doubles, it would be really neat to have two sets of barrels - something like a 450/400 (or a 450NE) for large game, and 7x65R or 8x57IRS for the smaller domestic stuff. Until that day possibly comes, I'll continue to occasionally use my 404J at home. One fallow deer and and one red fox so far this season.

A 9.3 x74R would be a great do everything double.

For just North America, a double in 7x65 R or 8mm JRS does about anything.

You could use iron sights or a red dot for close range.

Or an optic sighted in for the right barrel for longer shots.

A double on your first safari is definitely an intriguing thought, but not really a practical thought, UNLESS you’re willing to pass up a large percentage of your opportunities to shoot your buffalo. A scoped bolt action will provide way more shot opportunities both near and far. The obvious advantage of a scope can not be overstated when hunting in areas where you’re sometimes having to thread a bullet through a small hole in the brush, or take a longish shot on other game that may pop up.
But if you’re willing to buck the odds and use a double on your first safari, my vote would be for the 375 or 450/400. I suppose you could add a scope with removable mounts and have similar capabilities as a bolt rifle, but then you may as well just use a bolt gun to begin with.
As for the 470 or 500, you’re limiting yourself even more, as your best option with those would be a red dot sight with their inherent range/visibility disadvantage. But again, if you’re willing to accept these disadvantages, have fun! And if you do get your buffalo, I’m sure you’ll be back for more!

Adjustable to suite your needs

They do one barrel is fully adjustable to the other. Great concept

.03-'06...

52208697183_89b364fa5f_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve722

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair