Allure of the Ruger No1

Kevin-
Thanks for keeping this thread going! I’m still on the fence about which .375 H&H to take with me to RSA this July: the Parker Hale 1100M or my No. 1…..decisions, decisions

Just bought my very first Ruger No 1, which is also my very first .243. When I picked it up at my Gunsmith/FFL, he said, "I don't think this things been shot." It is in pristine condition. I ordered a NECG ghost sight for it and a bunch of Norma ammo with 100 gr bullets. Still need to order some dies and bullets. My plan is to use and ultimately give to one of my grandsons. They are still in the BB gun phase of life and will transition to the 22 and then the 243. I have some lefty and righty grandsons, so the No.1 is a great rifle from either side.

1705237593138.png

Just bought my very first Ruger No 1, which is also my very first .243. When I picked it up at my Gunsmith/FFL, he said, "I don't think this things been shot." It is in pristine condition. I ordered a NECG ghost sight for it and a bunch of Norma ammo with 100 gr bullets. Still need to order some dies and bullets. My plan is to use and ultimately give to one of my grandsons. They are still in the BB gun phase of life and will transition to the 22 and then the 243. I have some lefty and righty grandsons, so the No.1 is a great rifle from either side.
View attachment 580228
Congratulations, that No1 is a great looking gun.

Another high end single. I watched a show where an Austrian guide carried one of these Beautiful rifles. Is it a rising block ?

Attachments

• BLASER - CUSTOM MODEL BL 820 ROYAL MANNLICHER 5.6X50R MAG BUILT BY HORST BLASER FOR ROBERT E. ...pdf
    2 MB · Views: 37
Reactions: WAB
Another high end single. I watched a show where an Austrian guide carried one of these Beautiful rifles. Is it a rising block ?

@redleg has one. Every now and then he posts a picture just to get us to drool on our keyboards. Sooner or later he’s going to cost me a lot of money!

@redleg has one. Every now and then he posts a picture just to get us to drool on our keyboards. Sooner or later he’s going to cost me a lot of money!

My mistake, that is not the single shot he teases us with.

I almost gave up on my number one. Turns out the back screw on the dovetail base of this new production 30-06 was loose…

Got that sorted and….
168 TTSX factory.
That’s 2 shots that were same hole 5 inches high. Then I adjusted scope and shot that 3 shot group at 106 yards. Lucky me!

IMG_6478.jpeg

This was a rifle I traded for with @hawkeyesatx and I’m glad I could take it off his hands.

I almost gave up on my number one. Turns out the back screw on the dovetail base of this new production 30-06 was loose…

Got that sorted and….
168 TTSX factory.
That’s 2 shots that were same hole 5 inches high. Then I adjusted scope and shot that 3 shot group at 106 yards. Lucky me!

View attachment 580653

This was a rifle I traded for with @hawkeyesatx and I’m glad I could take it off his hands.
Awesome, glad you got it sorted out and nice group! Looks very similar to those from my 1A in 270 Win.

RugerNo1_270.jpg

I was in lockdown in 2020, just saw this. :)

I see the single shot as a stunt, same as using a 30-30 on the big Alaskan Bears, it works 99% of the time! that one percent can have a sad ending...Just my two bits, and to each his own..
It has to be a stunt to be a stunt. There is a mindset, and an expectation of reward/regard in a stunt.

Is it a stunt to use a double after the first shot has been sent off? Obviously not. What about if one is in a large cull situation where the number of targets is greater than the capacity of one's rifle.

I think before one can call an SS a stunt one would need some data. If having a single shot meant that you were twice as likely to be killed, then maybe the issue rises to that level. But if the difference is .001%, then not so much. SSs have advantages, such as that they focus on on the first shot, well one would hope so. A lot of folks around here fire off rounds so fast I generally don't believe they are really aiming.

For me though, in a classic encounter I want the classic experience. SSs post the BP era don't really seem to be that. Maybe I miss out on some part of it when the PH jumps in because it isn't sensible for him to wait for the reload, even if the wait is only 10% more than what it would be running a bolt. That can still seem like too much, and what If the client drops the round.

When weapons are seriously reduced in capability, the scenario normally gets changed up. A bowhunt is not normally what it would be if it were a rifle hunt. Sometimes it is better and more challenging, sometimes you need to really tip the playing field. Lake had a story about guiding a hunter to a lion where he had to tell him exactly where to put his sights, even though the hunter couldn't see the lion. He never saw it till they walked up to it. Perfect scenario for a single shot... (assuming you will shoot at stuff you can't see).

Awesome, glad you got it sorted out and nice group! Looks very similar to those from my 1A in 270 Win.
What bullet are you shooting! Great Shooting #1 you have

View attachment 580228
A stutzen is always nice

SAM_5847.JPG

My old lady in 45/70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Swamptrudger

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!

I live in Tyler Texas. I like Ruger single action revolvers Ruger rifles, and Marlin and Winchester lever guns.
SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,