Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI, NRA,Oregon Hunters Assoc.
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe x2 , Australia, Mozambique, Namibia, Canada & South Africa
Looking for recommendations on good Canadian Guide to Hunt Whitetail

What are you looking for specifically? I know a few but they all have strengths.

I want an area where I can have good opportunity to get a respectable Buck, a guide I can trust that’ll have good concession with decent camp/lodge

I have not hunted Canada for whitetails, but have heard and seen good things about Rob Nye in Saskatchewan with Canadian trophy quest especially if bowhunting

I have not hunted Canada for whitetails, but have heard and seen good things about Rob Nye in Saskatchewan with Canadian trophy quest especially if bowhunting
I looked at there website, thanks for the suggestion

I hunted Saskatchewan in late Oct 2022 with Buck Country Outfitters with Dean Kuypers in Goodsoil SK. They have a nice operation and really great lodge, good people. I was successful in getting a really nice 6x6 buck scoring right at 150”, heavy mass helped the score. He was only about 17” wide, so if he had been a bit wider like most of the bucks there he would have had more main beam length and scored much higher. He will make a nice shoulder mount and I’m excited to get it back any day now.
With all of the above said, I’m not interested in going back to Saskatchewan to hunt but I’m looking at Alberta instead for a couple of reasons. The standard hunt for whitetail in Saskatchewan in the far north woods is using a blind over bait (peas and oats with hay scattered over the top). They have several blinds set up to rotate hunters around from week to week and use game cameras at the blinds to see what is using the bait site. My blind had a younger 10 point and the 12 point I took using the site, however the hunter using my blind the week before never saw the 12 point all week. So I was told if I see him and like him I might not want to wait on taking the shot. Well, on day one around noon the 12 point came into the site and after watching him for several minutes I decided to take the 100 yard shot. He was a huge bodied deer, guessing he may have weighed over 300 lbs. after field dressing, skinning, head removed and legs cut off the carcass still weighed 215 lbs. So the downside for me was that after day one my five day hunt was over which was kind of a bummer even though I had a nice deer and I headed home early rather than hang around the lodge. I could have hunted for a black bear but wasn’t really interested because my wife didn’t want a bear rug!
I’m looking more at Alberta for my next Canada whitetail hunt because they don’t hunt over bait there and the hunt experience is more aligned to my preference. Nothing against Saskatchewan other than I didn’t find sitting in a blind over bait that challenging of a hunt experience. But you might really enjoy it, the boreal forest area is so thick hunting over bait may be the only method to be really successful. If you like Saskatchewan I would highly recommend Buck Country, look at their Instagram page to see all of the nice bucks they take each year.

IMG_5900.JPG

I hunted Saskatchewan in late Oct 2022 with Buck Country Outfitters with Dean Kuypers in Goodsoil SK. They have a nice operation and really great lodge, good people. I was successful in getting a really nice 6x6 buck scoring right at 150”, heavy mass helped the score. He was only about 17” wide, so if he had been a bit wider like most of the bucks there he would have had more main beam length and scored much higher. He will make a nice shoulder mount and I’m excited to get it back any day now.
With all of the above said, I’m not interested in going back to Saskatchewan to hunt but I’m looking at Alberta instead for a couple of reasons. The standard hunt for whitetail in Saskatchewan in the far north woods is using a blind over bait (peas and oats with hay scattered over the top). They have several blinds set up to rotate hunters around from week to week and use game cameras at the blinds to see what is using the bait site. My blind had a younger 10 point and the 12 point I took using the site, however the hunter using my blind the week before never saw the 12 point all week. So I was told if I see him and like him I might not want to wait on taking the shot. Well, on day one around noon the 12 point came into the site and after watching him for several minutes I decided to take the 100 yard shot. He was a huge bodied deer, guessing he may have weighed over 300 lbs. after field dressing, skinning, head removed and legs cut off the carcass still weighed 215 lbs. So the downside for me was that after day one my five day hunt was over which was kind of a bummer even though I had a nice deer and I headed home early rather than hang around the lodge. I could have hunted for a black bear but wasn’t really interested because my wife didn’t want a bear rug!
I’m looking more at Alberta for my next Canada whitetail hunt because they don’t hunt over bait there and the hunt experience is more aligned to my preference. Nothing against Saskatchewan other than I didn’t find sitting in a blind over bait that challenging of a hunt experience. But you might really enjoy it, the boreal forest area is so thick hunting over bait may be the only method to be really successful. If you like Saskatchewan I would highly recommend Buck Country, look at their Instagram page to see all of the nice bucks they take each year.
is it a spot and stalk hunt in Alberta?

Don't discount Manitoba or even NW Ontario for decent deer

Just a few that my buddies have been to, and can check out some of their videos
outfitters

Alberta Whitetails are 99.8% sitting in the same box blinds dawn to dusk, just without the activity of bait. You may/will sit for days without seeing a deer. First time I went to Alberta, I sat for 5 days without seeing a deer from the stand. Lower % of killing anything (despite much misdirection by camp owners about 10% kill), but higher chance it will absolutely stupid big.

When I finally had a monster buck coming in, a local drove right up to me road hunting the cuts.
I want an area where I can have good opportunity to get a respectable Buck, a guide I can trust that’ll have good concession with decent camp/lodge
For this I'd talk to Ryley Dewart of Saskatchewan Big Buck Adventures and see if he's a fit. He has a pretty good average size, clean well taken care of camp, well prepared hunting spots, and responsive guides. You wont find a white garbed french chef here, but Lar-Dawg (Larry) may attempt to kill you with solid home cooked meals.

Another place I'd hunt is Canadian Whitetail Outfitters LLC of Goodsoil. This si a small-mid outfit with a higher average buck.

Saskatchewan is particularly hit by the consolidation we have seen in much of American industries. there are a couple of mega outfits (think Brad Fry and the Kuypers) where enough celebrities film to keep the books full of guys who are happy to whack any dink with promising genes on the first day.

In either province, your "guide" will be little more than an unemployed local chauffer on high test weed. Tough for me, but it works.

Don't discount Manitoba or even NW Ontario for decent deer
I used

Just a few that my buddies have been to, and can check out some of their videos
outfitters
I used to love hunting NW Ontario. Much of it was wild and tough to access. Most fun I've ever had was doing deer drives on islands. That said, the herd wiped out about 8-10 years ago and most of the good camps closed. There are still some fishing operations running hunts to fill off season cabins.

i would take Sask. over Alberta just due to type of hunt mentioned above

The outfitter I've spoken with in Alberta does spot and stalk on bowhunts, however their rifle hunts are done viat sitting in tree stands or box blinds over ag field tree line edges

The outfitter I've spoken with in Alberta does spot and stalk on bowhunts, however their rifle hunts are done viat sitting in tree stands or box blinds over ag field tree line edges

The hunt I’ve been discussing with them is a bow hunt doing spot and stalk. They scout bucks all summer to get an idea of their home range area and then stalk in on them.

The hunt I’ve been discussing with them is a bow hunt doing spot and stalk. They scout bucks all summer to get an idea of their home range area and then stalk in on them.

That's how you have to do it when baiting is illegal.

This is the main method for mule deer in the Peace river region, are you looking at hunts over in the mountain crossover area?

That said, the herd wiped out about 8-10 years ago
Likely the case up by Dryden, but certainly not the case in Rainy River since you need a guide in that area compared to Dryden. That helps keeps hunters numbers lower
I have hunted there for about a dozen years, just wish I was closer to do a bit more work on my property

This is the main method for mule deer in the Peace river region, are you looking at hunts over in the mountain crossover area?
mountain crossover area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Malfowle

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.