416 Rigby take-down

redriverjake

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Europe, Middle East, Australia
Hello all,

I'm extremely keen to either locate or have built a take-down "field grade" rifle in .416 Rigby. If anyone as any information of where I can find such a rarity or perhaps who to talk to about a build, I would greatly appreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Jake

Gordy & Sons in Houston had a bunch of Rigby’s last week when I was in their store.

If you are interested in importing a rifle from France I just saw this, only a stock take down however:

Attachments

• Carabine d'Occasion BRIANO Luxe Cal. 416 rigby.pdf
    181.1 KB · Views: 14
Hello all,

I'm extremely keen to either locate or have built a take-down "field grade" rifle in .416 Rigby. If anyone as any information of where I can find such a rarity or perhaps who to talk to about a build, I would greatly appreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Jake
By field grade, do you still mean Rigby built? There are smith's whom can turn a Ruger RSM 416 Rigby into a take down and various Mauser style actions.

Blazer R8 ? Not technically designed as a take down but it fits the bill I think.

By field grade, do you still mean Rigby built? There are smith's whom can turn a Ruger RSM 416 Rigby into a take down and various Mauser style actions.
Rigby doesn't make one and neither does Heym, which would be my first choice in their express. I'm looking for something of a similar style and quality.

Mark Crudgington at George Gibbs

Paul Roberts (of course)

Lee Butler

Mauser used to sell take-down rifles as part of their 'Diplomat' range, but - if they still make them - they are not on the website. On the basis that if you don't ask, the answer is going to be 'no', it might be worth checking with them what the situation is and if they might be able to pull something suitable out of the warehouse for you.

The other word of warning is that you will never recover the cost of the custom work if and when you come to sell the rifle. Second hand, the name engraved on the barrel counts.

Hello all,

Warmest regards,

Jake

the word take-down increases the costs 4x-5x of a non-takedown in most situations.

the least expensive take-down 416 Rigby available today to my knowledge, is a parkwest. (formerly dakota) A base model 416 Rigby with no options or upgrades is $17,000.

I'm not sure of John Rigby themselves make a take-down in their present lineup? Their base model 416 Rigby single square bridge starts at about $14,500, so I'd imagine their price for a take down if they'd build you a custom take-down model for $30k-$40k if they are willing to undertake it.

Westley Richards has made 425 Westley Richards mausers in Take-down configuration over the past 125 years. Those sell on the vintage market starting at $25,000.

If you like importing from the EU, I'd take a good look at this one:

Attachments

• Orth Take Down .416 Rigby - Gunfinder.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
If you like importing from the EU, I'd take a good look at this one:

Even if it costs 5000 euros to import it, that's a hell of a deal. It's for sale in Deutschland for <$20,000 USD! Untouchable price. For crying out loud, I've seen lower grade non-take down models sell for more than that price!

Even if it costs 5000 euros to import it, that's a hell of a deal. It's for sale in Deutschland for <$20,000 USD! Untouchable price. For crying out loud, I've seen lower grade non-take down models sell for more than that price!
And it's new btw...

And it's new btw...

@VertigoBE as your least qualified financial advisor, I'd recommend you sell some of your precious metals and buy that rifle. You can probably negotiate a bit. I think that's a fantastic alternative investment. You will not lose on that one! That's the kind of gun I'd buy a newborn to enjoy as an adult or sell for university/wedding/first home.

@VertigoBE as your least qualified financial advisor, I'd recommend you sell some of your precious metals and buy that rifle. You can probably negotiate a bit. I think that's a fantastic alternative investment. You will not lose on that one! That's the kind of gun I'd buy a newborn to enjoy as an adult or sell for university/wedding/first home.
precious metals have not been doing too badly lately either. And a bit easier to convert back to cash too...

You'll be the ruin of me... putting these thoughts in my head.

That engraving on the bottom metal though... gorgeous, I love the design that was used. A very elegant modern interpretation of the traditional arabesques.

precious metals have not been doing too badly lately either. And a bit easier to convert back to cash too...

You'll be the ruin of me... putting these thoughts in my head.

That engraving on the bottom metal though... gorgeous, I love the design that was used. A very elegant modern interpretation of the traditional arabesques.

@VertigoBE I'm sure this is rhetorical, do you believe inflation is happening? YES!

Do you believe that Rigby would want $20,000 USD/EU for that gun new as a non-takedown?

Do you believe in the worst of times, such as the great depression 2.0, the very best items are saleable and nothing else is?

Do you think its logical a takedown is worth at least 1.5x to 2x of the more pedestrian regular rifle that outnumbers it 100:1?

Do you have the money in alternative assets already?

Diversify! This is a no-brainer.

One warning: under no circumstances shoot this rifle. Keep it mint purely as an investment. l predict 1.5x ROI in 12 months.

How about Keith D Thomas or Lancaster both would do it.
Lancaster just did a great job on a take down 375 for me..

No offense to these firms or gentlemen, but who? Even the very best custom boutique makers on the planet cannot pull rank on their name and justify big money. Not Todd Ramirez or JP Smithson or Griffin & Howe.

If on the other hand you mean Charles Lancaster Ltd of London in a vintage gun, that certainly is a storied name and a 100 year old firearm. I'm a fan of that maker, but nonetheless it isn't approaching the value cache that comes from John Rigby or Hartman & Weis on a contemporary basis.

Exactly
Yes I had Charles Lancaster build me a 375 and it’s an absolutely stunning rifle. In my opinion well surpasses the quality of the Rigbys of modern times.

No offense to these firms or gentlemen, but who? Even the very best custom boutique makers on the planet cannot pull rank on their name and justify big money. Not Todd Ramirez or JP Smithson or Griffin & Howe.

If on the other hand you mean Charles Lancaster Ltd of London in a vintage gun, that certainly is a storied name and a 100 year old firearm. I'm a fan of that maker, but nonetheless it isn't approaching the value cache that comes from John Rigby or Hartman & Weis on a contemporary basis.

IMG_2222.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.