416 Rigby take-down

Just to add this HS precision build's a take down rifle and I believe it's available in 416 Rigby.

The gun vertigobe was discussing was a custom 416 take down, not a takedown made by John Rigby. I’m not as bullish spending $20-$25k on an unknown maker’s takedown.

Just taking the action out for the stock makes it pack down small. I don't know if I'd pay for the takedown feature unless it was Weibe. The Dakota/Parkwest is cool too and reasonably affordable. I just pack the full length rifle in the light weight single Boyt travel case, in its soft case with the scope and bolt removed in their own soft cases. Comes in pretty light and easy to move around.

Just taking the action out for the stock makes it pack down small. I don't know if I'd pay for the takedown feature unless it was Weibe. The Dakota/Parkwest is cool too and reasonably affordable. I just pack the full length rifle in the light weight single Boyt travel case, in its soft case with the scope and bolt removed in their own soft cases. Comes in pretty light and easy to move around.

This concept is known as a "Take Apart" gun rather than a "Take Down". Two examples of this design is the Holland & Holland and the Mannlicher Schoenauer. The MS requires no tools, the H&H requires a quarter to tighten two screws in the trigger guard.

The downside to this design is loss of accuracy and lack of repeatable point of impact. The reason is that the action tension varies by how much you torque the screws each time. I haven't seen this design used on a caliber larger than 375HH, so it may not be durable enough for a large bore.

A true take down using the Westley Richards with a bayonet style attachment is about ideal. The Dakota design is also quite good but it requires an allen wrench to assemble and disassemble the forend/barrel. H&H also made a true takedown but I've only seen one and it was in 275HH. The HH true takedown required threading the barrel/forend 12-15 full rotations to tighten it to the action, then a bolt is threaded in with a tool to lock it in position. (I was not impressed with the HH design)

As research develops as per all of the input you guys has provided, the Parkwest "Continent" is leading the pack. That's simply based on a value for dollar basis. They seem of rather good quality for what I would consider a reasonable price compared to other options in this category. I want a true take-down, not a "take-apart"as pretty much every rifle is a capable of being taken apart. The 416 I'm looking for is to be paired with a double and being able to fit them both in a relatively small and inconspicuous case together is the whole idea. Thank you for all of the suggestions and wisdom thus far.

As research develops as per all of the input you guys has provided, the Parkwest "Continent" is leading the pack. That's simply based on a value for dollar basis. They seem of rather good quality for what I would consider a reasonable price compared to other options in this category. I want a true take-down, not a "take-apart"as pretty much every rifle is a capable of being taken apart. The 416 I'm looking for is to be paired with a double and being able to fit them both in a relatively small and inconspicuous case together is the whole idea. Thank you for all of the suggestions and wisdom thus far.

@redriverjake Might I make a suggestion? Yes, I agree a Parkwest Continent is a great choice, but I think you're overlooking a better caliber. If you go with a 375HH bolt face, you can get a second barrel in a related belted magnum caliber. This means you have a 375HH and a 458 Lott. Thus, if you're on safari and your double rifle has an issue, you've got many lifelines: 375HH, 458 Win Mag, and 458 Lott. Odds are you will find/borrow/beg for ammo in those popular calibers and you can kill everything on the planet with those choices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AundreaHal

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.