Questions on London Gun Shops

The above photo in the production floor got my attention; especially the reference library below the rack full of lovely firearms ...

I am a big fan of William Evans. If for no other reason, you can find an affordable jacket or sweater while looking at their wonderful on hand guns.

I have told this story here before, but several years ago I accompanied a friend and his spouse into Evans while they were looking for a used 20 bore for her. She really liked a perfect little gold name Westley Richards on the rack which had been built between the wars. The 14" LOP was exactly correct for her. The staff was extraordinarily patient with her as she fondled it and as my friend did math in a slightly cold sweat. We finally told the two delightful gun room salesmen that we would think about it over lunch and would be back in a couple of hours. They assured us it would be waiting on her when we returned.

To everyone's lasting credit, we returned to the shop though my friend was not sure what he would do. But as we walked downstairs, there was the gun on the long table laying across a dozen roses. She shoots it wonderfully to this day. :love:
Wonderful story…thanks for sharing it again!

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

(1) The Holland & Holland showroom, at the end of Bruton Street, has closed. As I understand matters, the gunroom is being run out of (what they call) the Beretta Gallery, which is on the corner of Jermyn Street and Pall Mall (you apparently need to book to get in), and the West London Shooting School.

It is sad, I suppose. I always enjoyed the shop, but the operation decidedly lost its way under the management of Chanel, flogging absurdly expensive guns and rifles on the one hand, and the usual weird clothing and branded tat on the other. Staffing the shop with supercilious and patronising staff didn't help, either. My favourite memory is going in and asking for a packet of .375 ammunition, only to be told that they didn't stock it: perhaps that says it all.

(2) Longthorne guns are based in Northampton (an hour and a half outside London). The shop floor is not particularly interesting. The actions are bought in from Mayfair Engineering.

(3) That area of central London is full of expensive hotels, which are much of a muchness. The one best situated for your criteria is probably the Connaught. The other one that I should recommend is Dukes Hotel, which is on the south side of Piccadilly. However, if you are a member of a club, and the club has reciprocal visiting rights, you can stay in a club which would be considerably cheaper.

The disadvantages of clubs are the nursery food and the bores that one encounters.

The Dunhill shop at Bourdon Street has an (outdoor) cigar smoking section, which may be of interest. It is, however, generally full of the sort of people that I seek to avoid!

(4) Personally, I find Heathrow considerably easier to get away from than Gatwick, especially as the new Elizabeth (underground) line has recently opened. It is easy to navigate the underground and busses using the Apple Maps function on your iPhone: that's how I know which bus to catch, and I live in the place. Buy an Oyster (travelcard) for use on public transport - you probably need to arrange this in advance.

(5) Taxis (black cabs) are expensive and staffed by semi-literate morons. Uber works in London and is a slightly less unpleasant way of taking cabs.

(6) London, especially in the centre, is generally safe. Do not go through the parks in darkness. Do not show off your expensive watch.

(7) At the weekend, you can stroll-up to Hyde Park Corner (/ Marble Arch) and watch the crazies espousing their favourite political and religious causes. On the south side of Piccadilly (Green Park), the railings are used to hang dubious art, which makes for a pleasant stroll.

Some thoughts, in no particular order:

(1) The Holland & Holland showroom, at the end of Bruton Street, has closed. As I understand matters, the gunroom is being run out of (what they call) the Beretta Gallery, which is on the corner of Jermyn Street and Pall Mall (you apparently need to book to get in), and the West London Shooting School.

It is sad, I suppose. I always enjoyed the shop, but the operation decidedly lost its way under the management of Chanel, flogging absurdly expensive guns and rifles on the one hand, and the usual weird clothing and branded tat on the other. Staffing the shop with supercilious and patronising staff didn't help, either. My favourite memory is going in and asking for a packet of .375 ammunition, only to be told that they didn't stock it: perhaps that says it all.

(2) Longthorne guns are based in Northampton (an hour and a half outside London). The shop floor is not particularly interesting. The actions are bought in from Mayfair Engineering.

(3) That area of central London is full of expensive hotels, which are much of a muchness. The one best situated for your criteria is probably the Connaught. The other one that I should recommend is Dukes Hotel, which is on the south side of Piccadilly. However, if you are a member of a club, and the club has reciprocal visiting rights, you can stay in a club which would be considerably cheaper.

The disadvantages of clubs are the nursery food and the bores that one encounters.

The Dunhill shop at Bourdon Street has an (outdoor) cigar smoking section, which may be of interest. It is, however, generally full of the sort of people that I seek to avoid!

(4) Personally, I find Heathrow considerably easier to get away from than Gatwick, especially as the new Elizabeth (underground) line has recently opened. It is easy to navigate the underground and busses using the Apple Maps function on your iPhone: that's how I know which bus to catch, and I live in the place. Buy an Oyster (travelcard) for use on public transport - you probably need to arrange this in advance.

(5) Taxis (black cabs) are expensive and staffed by semi-literate morons. Uber works in London and is a slightly less unpleasant way of taking cabs.

(6) London, especially in the centre, is generally safe. Do not go through the parks in darkness. Do not show off your expensive watch.

(7) At the weekend, you can stroll-up to Hyde Park Corner (/ Marble Arch) and watch the crazies espousing their favourite political and religious causes. On the south side of Piccadilly (Green Park), the railings are used to hang dubious art, which makes for a pleasant stroll.
What a pity about H&H, Chanel should be strung up for what they did to that business. The need for an appointment is probably because the nook dedicated to H&H is not even staffed. The Beretta gallery is really quite small, three stories, but small area on each.

And the H&H social media team that hopefully recently was changed out due to Chanel sale also did a lot to rupture the HH spirit . Not good at handling polite comments they were either on feedback of their weird photo shoots.
I have recently dealt with Emmanuel Guegan in the shop section and Charlie Young in the gun shop. They were both polite and helpful. Ask for Emmanuel by name.

Thats good to hear and some names to remember .

I visit the H&H range fairly regularly. They have not lost their way there! It is not to be confused with the West London Shooting Grounds. H&H have their own facility and it is what you would expect of a company of their provenance.

Hi
I can give you live info. I am currently on a train home after a five day visit. It had been several years since my last visit.

I cannot give practical information about airports. It is nice to have a hotel close to the useful metro lines. Metro´s are cheaper and faster than a taxi. We come with the eurostar train from brussels. It arrives at kings cross – st pancras station (the harry potter station). It is located along the piccadilly line, many of our trips could be made with it.

The Piccadilly Circus and Green Park tube stops are central to the gun shops (and Buckingham palace and many other shops). Purdey in the Mayfair district. Holland and Holland, Beretta and William Evans in the st james district.

Given the takeover, Holland and Holland are now within in the Beretta store. The website of H and H indeed indicates that they prefer to work by appointment. If it's just to look around, just ask the folks at Beretta.

William Evans is a cozy shop. Lots of beautiful bronze statues on display. All kinds of guns of own making and of other brands and all kinds of accessories. I bought a croots cartrige bag.

Purdey shop is fantastic. Several historical rifles on permanent display in the front shop. In the gunroom there is a mix of historical objects and new guns. to be expected especially shotguns. There were 4 rifles. The people are very helpful and friendly.
There are always small items for sale at an acceptable price, depending on what you want to spend. And compact, considering you're in transit. The people are so helpful to talk to you, I think it's polite to buy something anyway. It is always a nice souvenir. Don't worry too much about your outfit, just look decent. A blazer is not necessary.

And then Rigby. Located outside the center, but well worth it. (Northern metro line from station kings cross or station bank and get off in clapham north. And then another 10 min walk. Total 40 min on the way. Note the northern line often splits, from the mentioned stations it is without changes.) Great atmosphere in the shop and also seen the workshops. A whole variety of old and new guns. And again very friendly people. I hope to be able to visit again in the future. I can tell a lot about it, but you better experience it yourself. Again, had a great welcome and experience.

Westley Richards is easily accessible with the right choice of train station and good planning. Count on half a day travel time between London and Birmingham and back. We have not been there this time.

(Most museums are free. Book your tickets in advance to avoid having to queue for an hour.
Discovered today that in the natural history muzeum in the main hall to the left of Darwin hangs a bust of Selous. The last two times I must have seriously over looked it)

Gr

My wife and I in the future want to visit the following UK gun shops next year: Rigby, Westley Richards and Holland & Holland. My questions please are the following:
1. What UK airport is closest?
2. How far apart are they…can I stay at one hotel and go to all 3?
3. What is a grand hotel to stay closest to them?

Thanks!!!
@Rare Breed When my family was in London we went to the Holland and Holland shop. Mate you will need to take a towel with y ou to wipe the drool off your chin when you see their showroom. Also take something to hang onto, you will need it when you see the prices.
An entry level 270 on a Mauser action will set you back 39,000 euro, a cheap field shotgun sxs a measerly 60,000 euro. Now a Royal double in 600 nitro ( they will D o any caliber your little hear desires ) for a mere 250,000 euro. Those were the prices 8 years ago and I don't think they will have come down.
You could buy a hunting vest for 400 euro.
The only thing I could afford was a few packets of H&H ear plugs. They were free, well I think they were they were in a crystal bowl on the counter so a got a few packs.
Bob

Well you’ve got London and Birmingham shops mixed together there, so no, one hotel won’t do.

I am in and out a lot and visit all three shops. Here is my suggestion:

Heathrow is a nightmare. I just spent 2 1/2 days getting home
From Heathrow. I would fly in and out of Birmingham, visit Westley Richards there, and take the train to London for your visit to Rigby and H&H. The H&H factory and range are much more interesting than the showroom. I would set up some shooting at the range.

If you want to really have fun, fly Dublin return and take cheap Ryan air flights from Dublin to Birmingham. A couple of nights in Dublin will set the mood for the trip!
@WAB
A couple of nights in Dublin in the Temple Bar region enjoying a few pints of Guinness and some good craic he may not want to leave Dublin.
Bob

Good advice above.
Obviously you will also see the sights. If you do the Tower of London then walk over Tower Bridge and up river and have a look at HLS Belfast then the Imperial War Museum. It’s worth it. If you’re into that sort of thing. Also worth booking on line a visit to Windsor castle. The display of arms is one of the best I’ve seen. Also has stuff for the wife to look at.
Now after all that running around. I’d book a table here.
Try the veal.
Best Italian imo in London. Have even taken Italians (hard to please them as their mum always makes it better) they said it’s was very good.
If you want a go at some clay birds and have a car. Try https://www.barburyshootingschool.com/
Give the guys here a call.
Tell them you would like a go at in their rose bowl. They can send you out with an instructor and hire you shotgun and shells.
While out this way you can duck into Stonehenge and Avebury.
When are you looking at coming?

Good advice above.
Obviously you will also see the sights. If you do the Tower of London then walk over Tower Bridge and up river and have a look at HLS Belfast then the Imperial War Museum. It’s worth it. If you’re into that sort of thing. Also worth booking on line a visit to Windsor castle. The display of arms is one of the best I’ve seen. Also has stuff for the wife to look at.
Now after all that running around. I’d book a table here.
Try the veal.
Best Italian imo in London. Have even taken Italians (hard to please them as their mum always makes it better) they said it’s was very good.
If you want a go at some clay birds and have a car. Try https://www.barburyshootingschool.com/
Give the guys here a call.
Tell them you would like a go at in their rose bowl. They can send you out with an instructor and hire you shotgun and shells.
While out this way you can duck into Stonehenge and Avebury.
When are you looking at coming?
Not sure yet. Hoping for early next year though

Well you’ve got London and Birmingham shops mixed together there, so no, one hotel won’t do.

I am in and out a lot and visit all three shops. Here is my suggestion:

Heathrow is a nightmare. I just spent 2 1/2 days getting home
From Heathrow. I would fly in and out of Birmingham, visit Westley Richards there, and take the train to London for your visit to Rigby and H&H. The H&H factory and range are much more interesting than the showroom. I would set up some shooting at the range.

If you want to really have fun, fly Dublin return and take cheap Ryan air flights from Dublin to Birmingham. A couple of nights in Dublin will set the mood for the trip!
That offer of a beer next time you’re in London still stands hombre

I was in London a couple of months ago to visit Rigby. I flew into Gatwick and just took a train to the City. From there a tube ride to my Airbnb at Greenwich.

Getting to Riby was easy via tube with one transfer. About a 10 minute walk at the most to get there.

Uber was considerably cheaper than black cabs during our time there.

One highlight of the trip was taking my 89 year old mother with me. She travels a lot solo and one of here cruises had gotten canceled so she had a few days free. I was glad as she is headed to Austria in October and Canary Islands in February. Busy lady for sure.

Sky tram crossing the Thames to river cruises.
1690922646642.jpeg

After taking a river cruise to Westminster Abbey and back.

1690922728925.jpeg

And she enjoyed the London underground.

1690922885162.jpeg

I was in London a couple of months ago to visit Rigby. I flew into Gatwick and just took a train to the City. From there a tube ride to my Airbnb at Greenwich.

Getting to Riby was easy via tube with one transfer. About a 10 minute walk at the most to get there.

One highlight of the trip was taking my 89 year old mother with me. She travels a lot solo and one of here cruises had gotten canceled so she had a few days free. I was glad as she is headed to Austria in October and Canary Islands in February. Busy lady for sure.

View attachment 548960

View attachment 548961

View attachment 548962

Awesome Tanks. FYI, Uber is always cheaper than cabs. When you arrive Birmingham via train or air, simply Uber to Westley Richards and prepare to step back in time! I believe that Westley Richards is my preferred shop, even over all of the storied shops of London!

View attachment 548960

View attachment 548961

View attachment 548962
My mother is the exact same age but cannot travel…you are fortunate and a very good son!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DanielSide

Latest profile posts

Safari Dave wrote on CoElkHunter's profile.
I didn't get drawn for Wyoming this year.

Are you planning to hunt Unit 4 this fall?

(Thinking about coming out)
another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone