Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
My wife and I in the future want to visit the following UK gun shops next year: Rigby, Westley Richards and Holland & Holland. My questions please are the following:
1. What UK airport is closest?
2. How far apart are they…can I stay at one hotel and go to all 3?
3. What is a grand hotel to stay closest to them?

Thanks!!!

Rigby is in central London, but across the Thames River. You need a cab from central London Hotels. Holland and Holland and Purdy are in walking distance if you stay in central London. Westley Richards is in Birmingham England You will need to take a roughly 1 hour train from central London. Many, many hotels in central London. The question is how much to you want to spend. I have stayed the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury in London 3 times at about $300 per night. In Birmingham I stay in the Holiday Inn Express at about $110 per night. There are many more gun shops in central London you have probably not have heard of. Do your homework.

Well you’ve got London and Birmingham shops mixed together there, so no, one hotel won’t do.

I am in and out a lot and visit all three shops. Here is my suggestion:

Heathrow is a nightmare. I just spent 2 1/2 days getting home
From Heathrow. I would fly in and out of Birmingham, visit Westley Richards there, and take the train to London for your visit to Rigby and H&H. The H&H factory and range are much more interesting than the showroom. I would set up some shooting at the range.

If you want to really have fun, fly Dublin return and take cheap Ryan air flights from Dublin to Birmingham. A couple of nights in Dublin will set the mood for the trip!

My wife and I in the future want to visit the following UK gun shops next year: Rigby, Westley Richards and Holland & Holland. My questions please are the following:
1. What UK airport is closest?
2. How far apart are they…can I stay at one hotel and go to all 3?
3. What is a grand hotel to stay closest to them?

Thanks!!!
Please do also consider visiting the James Purdey & Sons and William Moore & Grey gun shops in London. You won’t regret it.

Rigby is in central London, but across the Thames River. You need a cab from central London Hotels. Holland and Holland and Purdy are in walking distance if you stay in central London. Westley Richards is in Birmingham England You will need to take a roughly 1 hour train from central London. Many, many hotels in central London. The question is how much to you want to spend. I have stayed the Holiday Inn Bloomsbury in London 3 times at about $300 per night. In Birmingham I stay in the Holiday Inn Express at about $110 per night. There are many more gun shops in central London you have probably not have heard of. Do your homework.
Thanks so much. Are there any other gun shops beyond the big 4 I should visit?

Well you’ve got London and Birmingham shops mixed together there, so no, one hotel won’t do.

I am in and out a lot and visit all three shops. Here is my suggestion:

Heathrow is a nightmare. I just spent 2 1/2 days getting home
From Heathrow. I would fly in and out of Birmingham, visit Westley Richards there, and take the train to London for your visit to Rigby and H&H. The H&H factory and range are much more interesting than the showroom. I would set up some shooting at the range.

If you want to really have fun, fly Dublin return and take cheap Ryan air flights from Dublin to Birmingham. A couple of nights in Dublin will set the mood for the trip!
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much. Are there any other gun shops beyond the big 4 I should visit?
Goggle Central London Gun Shops map. This will bring up more gun shops than you will have time to visit on a single visit. It should also cover the major hotels in the city center. But this covers only the central London city, not other cities. Again do your research before you travel to make the most of your visit.

I typically stop at Park Street Guns in St Albans. Bob Battaglia owns the shop and is a true gentleman. He can kit you out with proper shooting attire at a fraction of what you would spend in London. He usually has a couple of very interesting game guns on hand.

London is reasonably navigable, and the taxis or tube are easy to use. Give some thought to the type of hotel that appeals to you and perhaps let that be your anchor. We have traditionally hunted at a friend’s place each fall in Lincolnshire and stayed in London for a few days at the Goring, or elsewhere depending on our mood. We have always stopped at JJ Fox for Cuban cigars, and Berry Brothers for ports, wine, and bourbon. Swaine Adeney has great leather items, and of course the gun makers are fun to visit. If you enjoy antique books, Cecil Court is hard to beat. London is an incredible city, and hope you enjoy yourself.

Taking the tubes and trains is really quite simple to get around. A little shoe leather will also finish most of the rides off.
Enjoy your adventures.

I used to visit London fairly often and early on I formed the opinion that London is s man's city. I loved visitng H&H, Boss, Wilkes, William Evans, Hardy bros., etc. For luxury goods, quality clothing, and great dining London is probably unsurpassed, tho' I am quite found of Paris, too, which has even better dining and some very good gun shops.

I would avoid Heathrow if at all possible... it's difficult to negotiate and too far from the city. When I traveled on the continent I would weekend in the Thames Valley - Issac Walton Inn - and relax in unforgettable luxury and surroundings. I fly in and out of Gatwick, which is more conveniently located tha Heathrow. A weekend in the country offers '40 sporting' shooting, pub lunches, regattas, and true English breakfasts. Well worth the effort.

Don't rush your trip, there is much to see and do.

The International airports are much of a muchness. Flying from the US, your (direct) options are Heathrow and Gatwick. If I had to pick, I'd go with Gatwick but it's only marginally less bad than Heathrow from an efficiency and accessibility aspect.

I would add Boss & Co and WIlliam Evans for sure.

If you want to keep the shotgun theme going then William Powell is worth a visit if you're prepared to travel about an hr out of London to Banbury (it's actually en route to Birmingham if you were driving). Their house brand guns are now made by Rizzini to Powell's design (i.e. very English in design and engraving).

I would fly into Heathrow, because you are then connected directly to Paddington Station via the Heathrow Express non stop fast train. Then get a hotel near Hyde Park, I favour the Thistle Hyde Park, but there are others right there. If you want really grand try the Ritz, near all of the places I mention. You will be near the Swan pub and the Victoria pub, both historic. The Victoria has three fireplaces. Take a cab to Holland and Holland, then pop across the road to the old pub right there. Then walk up to James Purdey and Sons, maybe 15 minute walk. Pop in at Barclay Bentley store on the way just up from the pub to smell the leather, and then the Porsche shop across the square.
Once you have had your Purdey fill retrace your steps, passing Churchill tobacconists, nice range of cigars. When you get back to the Porsche shop turn left, three blocks up is Gray’s antiques, many interesting things.
For WR take an early fast train to Birmingham, it is a short cab ride from the station. Contact Steven Haridence to organise your visit. Make it a relaxing day and end up back in London late afternoon.
For an interesting meal book the Rabbit in Chelsea, quite cramped but divine food.
Rigbys is quite a trek, expensive cab ride, but probably easier than tubes and busses. To fill the rest of that day before pub time maybe visit Farlow’s or Beretta at the top end of Germyn Street, opposite Davidoff. Your wife will like Fortnum and Mason department store near there, great high tea. Also a wander through Burlington Arcade, full of luxury goods shops. Also for the wife Patrick Mavros in Chelsea is an absolute must.

As many of us have stated, London is an unbelievable city. Even though all of us on this forum have a major interest in rifles and guns (although many of us can't afford the "good stuff" which London and Birmingham are noted for) it still doesn't hurt to ooh and ah at them when we are there. In my past I was able to get to London and Paris when I was contracting in the Middle East and Eastern Europe fairly often. During those times I had a major interest in book shops/libraries, antique shops and museums. If this is your first time, trust me and many others, London has it all. Before you leave, study maps and know where you want to go. If you are going with a wife or girlfriend that will add another layer of places you will want to visit while there. Since it has been six years since I was there, I am anxious to read a travel report once you return (including pics). Have a great time.

I would fly into Heathrow, because you are then connected directly to Paddington Station via the Heathrow Express non stop fast train. Then get a hotel near Hyde Park, I favour the Thistle Hyde Park, but there are others right there. If you want really grand try the Ritz, near all of the places I mention. You will be near the Swan pub and the Victoria pub, both historic. The Victoria has three fireplaces. Take a cab to Holland and Holland, then pop across the road to the old pub right there. Then walk up to James Purdey and Sons, maybe 15 minute walk. Pop in at Barclay Bentley store on the way just up from the pub to smell the leather, and then the Porsche shop across the square.
Once you have had your Purdey fill retrace your steps, passing Churchill tobacconists, nice range of cigars. When you get back to the Porsche shop turn left, three blocks up is Gray’s antiques, many interesting things.
For WR take an early fast train to Birmingham, it is a short cab ride from the station. Contact Steven Haridence to organise your visit. Make it a relaxing day and end up back in London late afternoon.
For an interesting meal book the Rabbit in Chelsea, quite cramped but divine food.
Rigbys is quite a trek, expensive cab ride, but probably easier than tubes and busses. To fill the rest of that day before pub time maybe visit Farlow’s or Beretta at the top end of Germyn Street, opposite Davidoff. Your wife will like Fortnum and Mason department store near there, great high tea. Also a wander through Burlington Arcade, full of luxury goods shops. Also for the wife Patrick Mavros in Chelsea is an absolute must.

We frequent many of the same haunts Kevin. Hopefully some day we will end up there at the same time! That said, I must add the Harp to your list of pubs. Truly an iconic London pub.

One note of caution that I mentioned above, Heathrow is not what it once was. We have had folks getting stranded there. I was supposed to arrive home on an flight originating in Heathrow at 6 PM Wednesday night. I arrived home at midnight Thursday.

On a related note, I was fitted for a white tie outfit on this last trip as I have been invited to attend the Gunmakers dinner at Mansion House (Lord Mayor of London’s Official Residence) in November. One of my friends has been appointed as an assessor for the Order. Do any other AH’ers plan on attending?

We frequent many of the same haunts Kevin. Hopefully some day we will end up there at the same time! That said, I must add the Harp to your list of pubs. Truly an iconic London pub.

One note of caution that I mentioned above, Heathrow is not what it once was. We have had folks getting stranded there. I was supposed to arrive home on an flight originating in Heathrow at 6 PM Wednesday night. I arrived home at midnight Thursday.

On a related note, I was fitted for a white tie outfit on this last trip as I have been invited to attend the Gunmakers dinner at Mansion House (Lord Mayor of London’s Official Residence) in November. One of my friends has been appointed as an assessor for the Order. Do any other AH’ers plan on attending?
True, the Harp is fantastic, and also a Sunday roast at the Sherlock Holmes pub.

Many years ago we found a row of jaz pubs along the Thames in Chiswick. I could never re-find them again, but you would be hard pressed to have a better evening out.

Once you attend, you will be the only person I know to have attended the Gunmakers dinner. A report, with photos will most certainly be required once you return.

Thanks Kevin! Making sure the wife has fun too is important!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RogelioCat

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on tracker12's profile.
PARTITIONS
SEND ME PAYMENT INFO, PLEASE AND THANKS.
Khalanyoni Game Ranch wrote on Joshlee0518's profile.
Hi Joshlee0518 (please let me know if you are fine being addressed like that),

Thought I would drop you a PM. It is super exciting to plan a hunt and we are more than happy to assist you. Have you given any thought yet to which species you would like to take?

What do you hunt usually and which weapons/calibers are you using?

Look forward to swapping experiences and ideas.

Happy hunting - Daniel
Our trophy shed is filling up and we are only getting started,

cwpayton wrote on CM McKenzie's profile.
Sir ,is that picture of you packing the shoshone river trail thru buffalo pass? Im trying to get a plan togather for a ride. do you pack professionally or for pleasure. thanks
Cal {cwpayton}
ghay wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Is this rifle sold? If not what is the weight of it and do you know if there is enough difference in diameter between the 35W and the 9.3 to allow for a rebore to a 9.3x62 which is what I am after?
Thanks,
Gary (Just down the road in Springfield)