Zimbabwe Buffalo 2023 - Recommendations

Killed my first buffalo with Martin Pieters’s Safaris in the Omay. Hunted with newly licensed PH Dalton Tink. Dalton is Martin’s nephew. Good hunter. Super hunt, super area. Hard hunting. Loved being on Lake Kariba.

I am biased/unexperienced since I've only been on one safari, but CMS is top notch. I know a well-run organization when I see one and CMS is certainly that. I also highly recommend my PH, Keith Wall. He and his trackers are awesome and a lot of fun.

Dear all, I am planning with a friend of mine a buffalo hunt, our target country is Zimbabwe.
We are looking for a fair hunt, no fenced area, no luxury necessary.

Do you have recommendations for safari operators, who are reliable and offer an affordable safari?
Martin Pieters or Dalton & York.

Lowveld Hunters - Zimbabwe
Steve Meyer
sgmeyerph@gmail.com

Just got back from an Outstanding "Dagga Boy" Hunt last May.

The area that you hunt is really important as this provides the long lasting memories. For me there is no better area than the epic Zambezi Valley. Concessions along or that have access to the Zambezi River offer hunting, fishing and experiences that are unparalleled. As has been stated there is no finer hunting and conservation company in the Valley than CMS safaris. They also operate and fund Dande Anti-Poaching Unit (DAPU).

I have known Buzz for ~20 years. Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
The area that you hunt is really important as this provides the long lasting memories. For me there is no better area than the epic Zambezi Valley. Concessions along or that have access to the Zambezi River offer hunting, fishing and experiences that are unparalleled. As has been stated there is no finer hunting and conservation company in the Valley than CMS safaris. They also operate and fund Dande Anti-Poaching Unit (DAPU).

I have known Buzz for ~20 years. Good luck and have fun!

Is it really you Bill C ? Back after all those years of being "gone"? Or maybe you are a different Bill C :LOL:

Besides the fact that there wasn‘t a single buffalo but countless head of cattles with bells on their necks, goats, donkeys and plenty of peoply, there were lots of other issues. What a waste of time and money.

Mapassa Safaris is very good too. Garth Adams / Vaughan Whitehead-Wilson. Younger guys so they will walk your feet off but they are very competent in Zim. Lots of good places to go for Buffalo and like most PHs in good standing, they can get access to the conservancies like Save which are excellent Buffalo grounds.

Well, relative luxury is all going to be about the same. Common question lately here it seems and I understand it. But the reality is even in bush fly camps most everything is aimed at providing what many hunters, used to DIY hunting, would call luxury :) Even in the most primitive fly camps there will be hot showers provided by water heated on open fires then pumped or lifted to either en-suite tented shower or separate bathroom/shower. Most have trained chefs who do magic on primitive fire griddles and mud brick stove arrangements.

A lot of what is written and advised is subjective of course. Much of any person's measure of success is also subjective. In terms of a good trophy well earned or good hunt has a lot to do with the individual hunter's willingness to walk, track and have shooting proficiency. The PH needs to be eager to do the same and have a good tracking team! The last place I hunted in Africa just prior to the scamdemic was Zimbabwe. Saw a ton of mature, hard boss bulls in the conservancy scattered here and there. The best dagga boy bull I have ever seen was on this trip but I wasn't hunting buffalo. If I were forced to pick a Zimbabwe buffalo hunt right now, I would contact either Shaun Buffee, Brent Hein or Peter Fick. They hunt a lot on the BVC. At over 850k acres, best of all worlds. I don't think the BVC has been mentioned yet in this thread- so there it is :)

Last edited:
If I were forced to pick a Zimbabwe buffalo hunt right now, I would contact either Shaun Buffee, Brent Hein or Peter Fick. They hunt a lot on the BVC. At over 850k acres, best of all worlds. I don't think the BVC has been mentioned yet in this thread- so there it is :)
I have hunted there this year in May. Won‘t hunt the BVC again, never ever.

I have hunted there this year in May. Won‘t hunt the BVC again, never ever.
You mentioned earlier in this thread about hunting with SSG Safaris. "Besides the fact that there wasn‘t a single buffalo but countless head of cattles with bells on their necks, goats, donkeys and plenty of peoply, there were lots of other issues. What a waste of time and money."

Where did you hunt with SSG? The implication is that was on the BVC? I'm not following or buying. The BVC does not have people other than work crews continually repairing dams, water lines, drinkers, roads, etc. The BVC simply does not have any goats, or donkeys or cows or people wandering around. I have no idea what or where you are talking about?

Are you sure you are not mixing up JSS- John Sharp Safaris with SSG Safaris?

I know you bombed out on BVC buffalo earlier this year (or you said you were on BVC). What camp did you hunt out of when on BVC? Hard to believe no buffalo chances since there are a ton of buffalo there- a few thousand! You went early in the year and blamed Sharp and the vegetation. Whatever. Those buffalo are there no matter the season- where else are they going to go? Sorry, I know better. I've been there early in the season and the buffalo are there and they leave tracks and they are very huntable. Your whiny complaints and excuses after that May hunt was possibly a clue. Or could it be you just want to drive around and shoot one from the cruiser or sit on a water hole during the dry season and pop one off the water ??

Last edited:
Sorry, I know better.
Not really. But why don‘t discuss you BVC‘s situation with its owner, the person who owns the BVC but has never been to his property, who doesn’t care what’s going on there? However it‘s not possible reaching him via his right hand because that lady is completely anti-hunting, not forwarding to him anything related to hunting. What a mess…

Last edited:
Save Valley Conservancy (Roger Whittall Safaris, Mokore Safaris) / Zambezi Valley / BVC

Your whiny complaints and excuses after that May hunt was possibly a clue.

I think there are hunts with chance to take a shot on a good animal, and hunts without chance of shot to good animal.

If there was no chance of shot, then it cannot be recommended.

So, basically I appreciate the feedback from client to client (or forum member to forum member) in such occasions.

I think there are hunts with chance to take a shot on a good animal, and hunts without chance of shot to good animal.

If there was no chance of shot, then it cannot be recommended.

So, basically I appreciate the feedback from client to client (or forum member to forum member) in such occasions.

There are too many good reports on the BVC on this forum to accept the assertion that there are no buffalo there. I also struggle to believe that the BVC is suddenly overrun with people and livestock. I’m sorry Mopani had a bad hunt, but his claims simply don’t add up.

I will guarantee there is more to the "story" than what @Mopani is choosing to reveal. There is a reason @Mopani leaves important details out of his "story". The only one who could shed light on what went on is John Sharp. And likely he just wants to distance himself from @Mopani. And I don't blame him!

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieQuelp

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg