ZIMBABWE: Almost 12 Days In The Omay, The Nyakasanga Special With Dalton &York Safaris

Never scope bit given 15 LOP but I have sure bruised my fingers due to trigger hard kicking back…ouch!!!
Yea I've also learned the hard way to be cautious. I've been banged around many ways.

Excellent report and great hunt - Congrats!

Enjoyed your report very much brute of an eland.

This was a great HUNTING report until a group of nerds showed up to discuss optics (n);)

How true! I actually chuckled out loud upon reading this. That said the Swarovski Z8 is an awesome product.

HH

This was a great HUNTING report until a group of nerds showed up to discuss optics (n);)
Good one! @buck wild

Seriously though; @Backyardsniper excellent writing and you have completely put aside any qualms about a venue change regarding my 2024 tuskless with Dalton & York given the Omay situation and thanks for sharing - hope to see you again at DSC 2024!

My first post and I want to say thank you for the insightful report. Been lurking for a long time now and learning from many of you. My first Buffalo hunt is scheduled for one year from now. A lifelong dream... 61 now.

Congratulations on such an amazing trip!! Your write up was top notch and I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it. The humor was awesome. A Pat McManus in the making I tell you. Thank you. It’s been a long time since I read such a great story. And the actual animals harvested - truly out of this world. You could have been writing about squirrels and bunnies and still had me hanging on to the edge of my chair. Then you threw in THOSE and I was just in awe. Thank you for sharing.

Finally finished reading your report- outstanding storytelling, great shooting, and awesome trophies! Thank you for sharing!

Dalton and York keep impressing. I think I've yet to hear of a dissatisfied client. I'll be booking all future Zim hunts with them through Michelle Buchanan.

Also glad to see the questions about Omay North have all been cleared up and locked in for the next 5 years.

Great hunt and even better story telling! Who's your ghost writer? There wasn't even a hint of a Kentucky accent!
Thanks for truly bringing us along with you on an excellent adventure!

As I am sure not everyone is interested in spending a great deal of time reading my ramblings about this hunt in order to get the information they are looking for as far as whether or not they should be interested in booking a hunt with Dalton&York, or book their future hunts through Buchanon Hunts, I will do a very brief review of all that up front here. Now, for those who have the patience, or are simply bored and wish to subject themselves to what I am sure is a very sad attempt at writing an entertaining report of a very fantastic first safari, to those individuals I would say, stay tuned, as I will do this in installments of a day or two at a time. Since this was my first safari and I have no other first safaris to compare it to I can only assume that not all first safaris go as this one went. All of the facts I have written herein are in fact facts. While I have tried my best to add a little artistic flare to the writing and also tried to convey the true emotions and feelings of the moments as they felt in those moments, the facts remain the facts. If I say leopard sawed, then a leopard did in fact saw, if a tsetse bit then a tsetse did in fact bite, and so on and so forth, you get how this works.

I'm late to the party but wanted to add my accolades to the pile. Enjoyed the write up very much. Great job!

Also, might have been a bit of a strategic error to sandbag as hard as you did (see above) and then give us a fine yarn. Now I am expecting to get a custom rifle from your next classified posting of a standard mass produced plastic gun.

Did I spot my former ammo belt in one of your pictures? Glad to see it return to Zim.

I'm late to the party but wanted to add my accolades to the pile. Enjoyed the write up very much. Great job!

Also, might have been a bit of a strategic error to sandbag as hard as you did (see above) and then give us a fine yarn. Now I am expecting to get a custom rifle from your next classified posting of a standard mass produced plastic gun.

Did I spot my former ammo belt in one of your pictures? Glad to see it return to Zim.
I did take the ammo belt. It was a bit of a motivator for me. When I first got the belt it was probably four inches from touching around my waist :LOL: I decided come hell or high water I was going to lose enough weight to wear that damn belt. It made it easy for me to gauge my progress as I was getting ready for the hunt. I lost enough weight to just buckle it in the first hole ha ha. I am starting back with my Keto lifestyle and working out now that I'm back from the hunt and I plan to continue to use that belt as a marker of my progress. I figure if I can get 3 or four notches into it before my 2026 hunt then I should be about where I need to be!

I had a similar story as I purchased a very nice ammo belt from @Manny R . I was barely able to get to the first notch, but a little more (or less) diet, work out and hanging a 10 lb weight from the end as it was suspended, I got to the second notch before the hunt. :ROFLMAO:

Congratulations on some great animals.

Really enjoyed your report.

Congratulations on a great hunt! Was great reading your report. D&Y has been an outfitter I've long considered reaching out to when I'm ready to book an Ele hunt and this just pushed me a bit closer to doing so.

Depending on the measurements you've got a lot of great scope options for that .416. Surely one of these would fit her; S&B 1-8, Swaro Z8 1-8, Z6 1-6, Z6 1.7-10, Leupold VX6 1-6, Trijicon 1-6 and the list goes on. You can always do what a lot of us do and buy or build another gun for the next hunt .....
Congratulations on a great hunt! Was great reading your report. D&Y has been an outfitter I've long considered reaching out to when I'm ready to book an Ele hunt and this just pushed me a bit closer to doing so.

Depending on the measurements you've got a lot of great scope options for that .416. Surely one of these would fit her; S&B 1-8, Swaro Z8 1-8, Z6 1-6, Z6 1.7-10, Leupold VX6 1-6, Trijicon 1-6 and the list goes on. You can always do what a lot of us do and buy or build another gun for the next hunt .....
Why build when it's already nearly perfect...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
BTW, congrats to the OP on an epic first safari--enjoyed every minute of the read!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinjo

Latest profile posts

Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt