ZIMBABWE: Almost 12 Days In The Omay, The Nyakasanga Special With Dalton &York Safaris

Why a straight tube? I never have understood that. Why less magnification? What is the real difference in 1X and 1.3X on the low end? If you ever look at the Z8 I mention you will see that there can be no DG scope that compares.
While I have 1X8 power on 2 dangerous game rifles I tend to agree with Philip. Not that much difference and a lot more power if needed.

HH

My 375h&h has a Meopita 1.7x10x42 I would have no problem taking it on a DG hunt. It has the same hight rings as my 1X6 Swarovski that is on my 458Lott. I like everything about the 1.7X13.3 Swarovski (except the price). Would not hesitate to use it on a DG rig. That said the fine balance points of a rifle or shotgun would be lost on someone like me. It's just not my game.

Why a straight tube? I never have understood that. Why less magnification? What is the real difference in 1X and 1.3X on the low end? If you ever look at the Z8 I mention you will see that there can be no DG scope that compares.
Honestly, the straight tube is not really my goal. It just helps with mounting on rifles, not having to worry about a front objective. What I'm mostly interested in, is having zero magnification or distortion in any manner, on the lowest setting. As far as I know only straight tubes have a true 1x.

That way I don't even have to take it off in a follow up. It's just a red dot.

I agree...thats what I have.

One of the MAIN things to consider is eye relief on a 416 Rigby. The scope will need to be mounted far enough forward to keep the eye piece away from your face. I believe that's one of the main advantages of a lower power scope on a hard kicking rifle. They tend to have plenty of eye relief, and something that goes up to 6x will give all the ranging capabilities you need with a 416. You gonna shoot prairie dogs with that thing? Lol!

Used a 375 h&h some on my first safari in May. I have literally shot 10000 rounds through a rifle. But I got excited and took a shot without stick freehand (good shot and he DRT). However, I was too focused and got too close to scope. A few minutes later I felt sweat and wiped it….it was blood. What a rookie move to get scope bite, but heat of the moment with first Africa trip. It happens!

Used a 375 h&h some on my first safari in May. I have literally shot 10000 rounds through a rifle. But I got excited and took a shot without stick freehand (good shot and he DRT). However, I was too focused and got too close to scope. A few minutes later I felt sweat and wiped it….it was blood. What a rookie move to get scope bite, but heat of the moment with first Africa trip. It happens!
It is very easy to do. Most anyone who shoots big heavy recoiling rifles has a story about getting scope bit. Its a right of passage. :cool::ROFLMAO:

Some of the Leupold scopes have 41/2 inches and some very close to 5 on one power. Knock on wood just been kissed never cut.

Just measured my 1-4, on one power it was just over 6 inches.

The more people I have spoken with since we got back, the more I am realizing how lucky I was. There was a lot of things that went very right on this trip. York and the crew are really something else!
It is very easy to do. Most anyone who shoots big heavy recoiling rifles has a story about getting scope bit. Its a right of passage. :cool::ROFLMAO:
Maybe it is my long LOP but I've never been bitten. I know it happens to the best of us however.

One of the MAIN things to consider is eye relief on a 416 Rigby. The scope will need to be mounted far enough forward to keep the eye piece away from your face. I believe that's one of the main advantages of a lower power scope on a hard kicking rifle. They tend to have plenty of eye relief, and something that goes up to 6x will give all the ranging capabilities you need with a 416. You gonna shoot prairie dogs with that thing? Lol!
You are right that eye relief is one of THE most important factors for these big bruisers. It will be listed in the specs. The Z8 has excellent eye relief. That is one of the reasons I bought it. All this DG talk is getting me excited for next month!

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Honestly, the straight tube is not really my goal. It just helps with mounting on rifles, not having to worry about a front objective. What I'm mostly interested in, is having zero magnification or distortion in any manner, on the lowest setting. As far as I know only straight tubes have a true 1x.

That way I don't even have to take it off in a follow up. It's just a red dot.
I understand where You are coming from. You won't know what I am describing until you get your hands on The Z8. I didn't know how good the Z8's were either a few years ago. You will never hear anyone in these discussions say "oh I had a Swaro Z8 and just didnt like it".

I understand where You are coming from. You won't know what I am describing until you get your hands on The Z8. I didn't know how good the Z8's were either a few years ago. You will never hear anyone in these discussions say "oh I had a Swaro Z8 and just didnt like it".

Agreed. The Z8’s are some of the finest glass I have used.

Maybe it is my long LOP but I've never been bitten. I know it happens to the best of us however.
Never scope bit given 15 LOP but I have sure bruised my fingers due to trigger hard kicking back…ouch!!!

This was a great HUNTING report until a group of nerds showed up to discuss optics (n);)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelicaMa

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]