ZIMBABWE: Almost 12 Days In The Omay, The Nyakasanga Special With Dalton &York Safaris

That was an amazing first safari. It would be a great 10th safari. I don’t get jealous of many trophies, but that is an awesome eland. I’m very glad to see that 416 getting some use and out of my gun safe as well!

I think it says a lot about D&Y they took you to Nyakasanga instead of a lesser concession. It’s definitely one of the premier concessions in Zimbabwe, a huge upgrade on the Omay. You were incredibly lucky to get to go there and that quota was available. They probably made very little profit at Omay prices, but it shows they want their clients happy and care about their reputation while the Omay issue is being sorted out.

That was an amazing first safari. It would be a great 10th safari. I don’t get jealous of many trophies, but that is an awesome eland. I’m very glad to see that 416 getting some use and out of my gun safe as well!

I think it says a lot about D&Y they took you to Nyakasanga instead of a lesser concession. It’s definitely one of the premier concessions in Zimbabwe, a huge upgrade on the Omay. You were incredibly lucky to get to go there and that quota was available. They probably made very little profit at Omay prices, but it shows they want their clients happy and care about their reputation while the Omay issue is being sorted out.
That is 100% man. They really went out of thier way to take care of me. I knew they had to have pulled some serious strings. They only have 3 eland on quota in that area per year! York said he had to do some real sweet talking to get them to let him have that eland. I repeatedly told York how much I appreciated the opportunity to hunt an area like Nyakasanga, I knew he didn't have to do that. Those dudes really do care about taking care of thier clients.
That 416 is my go to gun now. I am going to upgrade the scope to a nightforce NX8 1-8 for a little extra magnification on longer shots and that is it. She is perfect other than that, as far as I'm concerned.

That is 100% man. They really went out of thier way to take care of me. I knew they had to have pulled some serious strings. They only have 3 eland on quota in that area per year! York said he had to do some real sweet talking to get them to let him have that eland. I repeatedly told York how much I appreciated the opportunity to hunt an area like Nyakasanga, I knew he didn't have to do that. Those dudes really do care about taking care of thier clients.
That 416 is my go to gun now. I am going to upgrade the scope to a nightforce NX8 1-8 for a little extra magnification on longer shots and that is it. She is perfect other than that, as far as I'm concerned.
I bet you're glad you didn't sell that 416 back to me now! Lol! It was fate!
Great report! I'm going to really have to step up my game now. I just hope I have the opportunity to have anywhere near the hunt that you had! Now you're hooked. Good luck with your next 5 safaris that I know you're currently planning....

I bet you're glad you didn't sell that 416 back to me now! Lol! It was fate!
Great report! I'm going to really have to step up my game now. I just hope I have the opportunity to have anywhere near the hunt that you had! Now you're hooked. Good luck with your next 5 safaris that I know you're currently planning....
It had to be fate LOL. That 416 almost got sold like 5 times. I am so glad I kept it now, that thing is a lazer!

Double check those measurements, mine would not work on my 416REM in M70. Scope is too short and the eye relief was all jacked up. Not saying it can't work for you, it unfortunately did not work for myself.

Excellent writing! I will need to read more books to get me ready for the next write up. Need to up my game, you are setting a higher standard! Good on you!

Double check those measurements, mine would not work on my 416REM in M70. Scope is too short and the eye relief was all jacked up. Not saying it can't work for you, it unfortunately did not work for myself.

Excellent writing! I will need to read more books to get me ready for the next write up. Need to up my game, you are setting a higher standard! Good on you!
I wondered if that would be the case! That front tube is so short on those. I bet it won't fit. Man, that would be the perfect scope for that too!

Congratulations on a great hunt! Was great reading your report. D&Y has been an outfitter I've long considered reaching out to when I'm ready to book an Ele hunt and this just pushed me a bit closer to doing so.

Depending on the measurements you've got a lot of great scope options for that .416. Surely one of these would fit her; S&B 1-8, Swaro Z8 1-8, Z6 1-6, Z6 1.7-10, Leupold VX6 1-6, Trijicon 1-6 and the list goes on. You can always do what a lot of us do and buy or build another gun for the next hunt .....

Thanks @Backyardsniper for taking the effort and time to do that great write up!!
Had a good chuckle at the elly eating out of the trash can!
That brought back a lot of memories from vic falls they used to walk up the Main Street! Had some clients that went to play golf there and one walked across the course so they decided to use it as target practice lol

That eland hunt sounded like a goodie.
Good to see that you took some time out to do a bit of fishing Those are some really good T’s that you hooked!
Did you find a website to practice on your Shona before you went?

Thanks @Backyardsniper for taking the effort and time to do that great write up!!
Had a good chuckle at the elly eating out of the trash can!
That brought back a lot of memories from vic falls they used to walk up the Main Street! Had some clients that went to play golf there and one walked across the course so they decided to use it as target practice lol

That eland hunt sounded like a goodie.
Good to see that you took some time out to do a bit of fishing Those are some really good T’s that you hooked!
Did you find a website to practice on your Shona before you went?
Thanks man!

Yeah I found an App called bluebird that offered Shona.

I wondered if that would be the case! That front tube is so short on those. I bet it won't fit. Man, that would be the perfect scope for that too!
Look at Leupold VX6 2-12X or Swaro Z8 1.3-13X for your DG rifle. Far superior to the others folks always mention considering.

Look at Leupold VX6 2-12X or Swaro Z8 1.3-13X for your DG rifle. Far superior to the others folks always mention considering.
For the swaro, why not the straight tube version? Z6i or Z8i ? 1-6x24 or 1-8x24. Why a larger objective?

IMG_3788.png
Here it is on my M70 in 375. Even if you use a different mounting method, it’ll give you an idea on the proportions. The scope pretty much becomes a 1x red dot when cranked down.

View attachment 544299
Here it is on my M70 in 375. Even if you use a different mounting method, it’ll give you an idea on the proportions. The scope pretty much becomes a 1x red dot when cranked down.
I am gonna have to get my hands on one and measure it up on my rifle and see if it fits. I am a believer in nightforce optics and the FFP MOA reticle would give me pinpoint accuracy out to about 400 yards with that 416.

For the swaro, why not the straight tube version? Z6i or Z8i ? 1-6x24 or 1-8x24. Why a larger objective?
Why a straight tube? I never have understood that. Why less magnification? What is the real difference in 1X and 1.3X on the low end? If you ever look at the Z8 I mention you will see that there can be no DG scope that compares.

That Swaro Z81.3-13 sounds like a hell of a scope. I will definitely check that one out!
It will ruin you! There is no DG scope like it. Versatile and powerful. It has the red dot and the close quarters circle dot.

Why a straight tube? I never have understood that. Why less magnification? What is the real difference in 1X and 1.3X on the low end? If you ever look at the Z8 I mention you will see that there can be no DG scope that compares.

We will have to agree to disagree. I own both. I prefer the straight tubes on my DG rifles. They allow the most flexibility in mounting position with QD mounts. This is an aid to fast, accurate shooting. I have never faced a situation with my DG rifles that could not be handled with 6x or 8x on the top end. And yes, I have shot plenty of PG with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindiapowerballk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!