ZIMBABWE: Almost 12 Days In The Omay, The Nyakasanga Special With Dalton &York Safaris

Completely agree with the others, your writing is spot on. A true story. You depict the true wildness well. At least as well as I can imagine since I’ve never experienced it. It sounds very exciting. Please keep it coming. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Day 2 Proper Dagga Boy Hunting

The Land Cruiser coasted to a stop at about 0630 and we took a short walk out to a water hole. There were a few tracks, a herd of elephants came out behind us, but they were too far to see. Michael heard them and got Zvito's attention, unfortunately the situation wouldn't work for a stalk due to the wind, so we finished our stroll of about a mile and met up with the truck. The tracks of a lone buffalo bull crossed the road as we drove along at about 07:30. We followed him for a few minutes but the tracking was difficult and it appeared he was heading for a water hole up ahead so we attempted to cut him off. He was a clever one though, we couldn't find the tracks at the water hole so we returned to the original spot and started tracking. By 09:00 we had tracked him back to the water hole that we thought he was headed for originally, and then on past it. It was now around 11:00 and the buffalo had joined with a herd and we were now tracking the whole herd, which even I could follow. The spore of an entire herd of buffalo is impressive! We tracked them to a pan where we took a short break and developed a game plan. We would follow them just a bit farther, then come back in the afternoon and try to cut them off going to water once the wind became more cooperative.

Still tracking, we followed on about another 500 yards when Zvito suddenly stopped with his hand up. We all froze and in just a few seconds we all heard the low BAWWW of a buffalo. The wind was not good so we backed out to the pan where we had taken a break, and waited for Sunnyboy to bring up the truck. Sticking with our plan, we headed to lunch. Enroute to our usual lunch and siesta spot, Zvito spotted a buffalo right off the main road. These guys' ability to spot game in the bush even at high speed from a moving vehicle borders on supernatural! We stopped and made a short stalk, but it didn't work out, that was for the best as you will see later. By the time we dealt with that buff and made it to the lunch spot I was extremely hungry! We had put in several miles that morning and the 05:30 sausage and eggs had definitely worn off!

By 15:30 we were back at the pan as planned and as soon as we pulled in we ran into a tuskless. We got out and took a look but she had a small calf. This little side hustle had delayed us slightly from our original timeline. We tracked back to where the herd had bedded for the day and ran into them as they were moving our way towards the water. So began the chess game of working our way in on the herd, and as luck would have it, we ended up pinned down by the herd at 40-60 yards. Probably 40 buffalo that we could see, but no shooter bulls. A lone tuskless appeared on top of a termite mound in the middle of the herd. Really!? Right now? The elephant that we need decides to show up right in the middle of a herd of buffalo! Then it happened, the wind swirled and hit us on the back of the neck. The buffalo departed swiftly, along with my tuskless elephant.

There was a short attempt to find the tuskless, but it was unsuccessful so we decided the most logical course of action was to go towards where the herd came from to see if we could catch some stragglers still on thier way to the pan. We had not gone 200 yards when we ran directly into a cow crossing the path and another buffalo behind her. York and I slowly stalked up to a small bush approx 20 yards from the bull. I saw the sticks going up slowly and I knew this was about to happen. He was standing facing us with a small tree blocking his vitals. York whispered, "Kill him whenever he gives you a shot." We stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. Mopane flies swung from my eyelashes and lit in my ears, sweat ran into my eyes, my heart beat a drum solo in my throat, the tsetse flies set up shop and broke out a cooler full of beer. Still, the buffalo and I stared at each other. I decided if this went down there would be no time for hesitation. It would be fast and my actions had better be decisive. The space I had to shoot was narrow and our escape plan, if things went pear shaped, was even more narrow. Finally he swung his head to the left and stepped into the opening to cross it. I slipped the cocking lever of the Kreighoff forward and the bull swung now to face me. He was quartering to us and looking directly at me. In the background I heard York say, "on the point of the shoulder" and as I eased the dot slightly to the right to compensate for the angle of the bull, I touched off the right barrel of the big double. The impact of the bullet was audible and I knew that it had hit true. The recoil rocked the rifle up and out of the shooting sticks just the way I had practiced it. This allowed me to freely swing the rifle to stay on the bull for the follow up shot. The bull was charging across the opening now as I came down out of the recoil and acquired him again. He had managed to get his front half into the bush as York yelled "AGAIN AGAIN!" I sent the second 500 grain A Frame into the bull just behind his ribs. I broke the rifle open, shucked the empties and slammed 2 more shiny nickel plated cases into the barrel and snapped it shut. We all looked at each other for a few seconds in silence. There was much crashing and thrashing. Shortly York smiled and held his hand up. "Do you hear that?" he asked. I didn't hear anything, then a slight noise, but what is that I thought? York still smiling said "the blood pumping, do you hear the blood squirting out of him?" Then there it was "BAAAHHHHHWWW". We all exchanged handshakes and hugs then York and I slowly slipped into the brush, very, very carefully. It was a short trip. Perhaps thirty yards from where the bull was standing we found him, he was making an effort to get up but he was on his way to the promised land. Due to the thickness of the bush, we were not able to circle behind him so from 5 yards I squatted and put a quick right/left into his chest through the brisket. Your first animal in Africa is a special moment. Couple that with your first animal in Africa being a proper Dugga Boy at 20 yards with a double rifle, not to mention the whole scene unfolding like a hunting novel, that is a moment that will be forever cemented in your mind. it will live there rent free for you to replay at your leisure for the rest of your life. You are now officially addicted to the drug that is Africa!

Now the brush clearing and road cutting operation began. It was closing in on dark and old Shumba would be nosing around soon. Sunnyboy started the truck toward us as we cleared some brush and got a few quick pictures. After a quick radio call, the other car left from the skinning shed with the recovery crew. Dana, York, and I started heading back to the truck to meet up with Sunnyboy as he was cutting his way into where we were. The other crew arrived about 45 minutes later and the road cutting began in earnest. I claimed myself a seat on the top of the Land Cruiser and enjoyed a very delicious beer, possibly, the most delicious beer that has ever been had! It was 19:30 before we reached the buffalo with the second truck. We left our truck about 100 yards back to give room to maneuver the recovery crew's truck and load the meat. I watched the crew disassemble the buffalo in awe. The entire operation only took about an hour and a half once the skinning crew got to work on him. This poor buff had at some point had all of his dangly bits bitten off by hyena. The rocky mountain oysters had been gone for a while; that wound was entirely healed over. However, the removal of his other equipment had been more recent. It was PAINFULLY clear that he had been urinating through a small hole in a very pus filled wound where his equipment used to be. It was a reminder that Africa can be quite a cruel place! Once the cutting was complete, we moved back to our truck. There were hyena tracks on top of the tire tracks from the first car. He had cut between our vehicles not 50 yards from us, just a reminder that you never know what is just out of sight in the bush around you.

It was a very enjoyable ride back to camp, and when we arrived I partook in several refreshments. We made plans for a relaxing day of tiger fishing on the Zambezi the next day.

IMG_6075.jpg
20230618_172017_HDR.jpg

Congratulations! What a great write up and start for the story. Thank you for sharing it with us!

Congratulations! Once you are on the ground all the travel headaches just disappear. Thank you for taking a good and amusing writeup. Keep it coming.

Congrats on the buff!

Congratulations and really enjoy your writing and taking us along on the safari. I’m headed that way in July 2024.

Congratulations! You have the most excellent writing skills. Looking forward to more.

Doing great so far. Your writing skills definitely exceed my own. Wish I could write better. I get the facts of the hunt across, but you do it with style. Nice buffalo. Good shooting.
Bruce

Nice report, love the detail, sounds like you are having a great hunt, thanks for sharing it

Awesome hunt. Looking forward to reading more. Possibly also hearing what you know from that N. Omay thread....thing...

I'm wheels up for the Save in 35 days, so this is getting me excited.

Day 3 Tigerfish with Gin and Lemon

The night of the buffalo, back at the lodge, York and I discussed the cooler load out for the next day. I mean what's in the cooler for a day of fishing is rather serious business. He asked if I wanted lemon for my gin and tonic. I have always been under the impression that lime was the ubiquitous garnishment of the gin and tonic. Always being up for a new adventure, "Sounds good to me," I said. "Never had it with lemon." Now that I am in "the know", I will add to this report as a side note that lemon is far superior to lime. Perhaps, it is just that it goes particularly well with the delicate botanicals of the higher end Gordon's Gin. ;) Nonetheless, a very cold stainless steel cup filled with a couple of very large chunks of ice and a hefty dose of Gordon's finest offerings and a solid splash of Indian Tonic water accented with a fresh squeeze of lemon being enjoyed while gently floating down the Zambezi and listening to the chorus of Hippo, that sound to me exactly like a 4 stroke dirt bike at a motocross race, is truly a divine experience! Really, you should try it if you ever get the chance.

All in all, a very relaxing morning. The wife reeled in a 14lb Tigerfish, which is a really nice tiger fish.

We broke for lunch at about 12:00 and came back at 3:15. York hooked a Vundu that I fought for a few minutes but the line snapped. A short while later I hooked a tiger and we got him in the boat. It was a 16lb fish. The largest the charter captain had ever seen caught was 22lb so this was quite a sizeable fish as far as tigerfish go. To have caught two double digit tigers on your first tiger fishing trip is a pretty solid day of fishing!
20230619_092856.jpg

I will not bore you with too much fishing details. We all know how a good day of fishing feels. I will take a moment to say that if you are going to this area of the country, I do recommend scheduling time in your trip to do a little fishing. This is a once in a lifetime chance to catch a fish that a lot of anglers make a trip all the way over there just to catch. So, while you're in the neighborhood, why not right? Tiger Safaris is great, nice equipment, and knowledgeable captain. It was time well spent for sure.

Day 3 Tigerfish with Gin and Lemon

The night of the buffalo, back at the lodge, York and I discussed the cooler load out for the next day. I mean what's in the cooler for a day of fishing is rather serious business. He asked if I wanted lemon for my gin and tonic. I have always been under the impression that lime was the ubiquitous garnishment of the gin and tonic. Always being up for a new adventure, "Sounds good to me," I said. "Never had it with lemon." Now that I am in "the know", I will add to this report as a side note that lemon is far superior to lime. Perhaps, it is just that it goes particularly well with the delicate botanicals of the higher end Gordon's Gin. ;) Nonetheless, a very cold stainless steel cup filled with a couple of very large chunks of ice and a hefty dose of Gordon's finest offerings and a solid splash of Indian Tonic water accented with a fresh squeeze of lemon being enjoyed while gently floating down the Zambezi and listening to the chorus of Hippo, that sound to me exactly like a 4 stroke dirt bike at a motocross race, is truly a divine experience! Really, you should try it if you ever get the chance.

All in all, a very relaxing morning. The wife reeled in a 14lb Tigerfish, which is a really nice tiger fish.

We broke for lunch at about 12:00 and came back at 3:15. York hooked a Vundu that I fought for a few minutes but the line snapped. A short while later I hooked a tiger and we got him in the boat. It was a 16lb fish. The largest the charter captain had ever seen caught was 22lb so this was quite a sizeable fish as far as tigerfish go. To have caught two double digit tigers on your first tiger fishing trip is a pretty solid day of fishing!
View attachment 543705
I will not bore you with too much fishing details. We all know how a good day of fishing feels. I will take a moment to say that if you are going to this area of the country, I do recommend scheduling time in your trip to do a little fishing. This is a once in a lifetime chance to catch a fish that a lot of anglers make a trip all the way over there just to catch. So, while you're in the neighborhood, why not right? Tiger Safaris is great, nice equipment, and knowledgeable captain. It was time well spent for sure.
With all that drinking going on, I hope you didn't point your rod in the wrong direction. Very irresponsible! LOL!!!

With all that drinking going on, I hope you didn't point your rod in the wrong direction. Very irresponsible! LOL!!!
ShitStirer458!

Waidmannsheil to a very proper buff! Although you do seem to make him look small compared to you! :D very well done!

Oh you are going to make this month along one. We leave to hunt with them 1st of August.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarleSincl

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?