Your opinion on the Sako 85

Lakebranch338

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I have owned two, one Deluxe in 9,3x62. I loved it. Absolutely beautiful gun. Lovley finish and handled like a well balenced shotgun..
However, it had a slight ejection problem. Not that it would not eject, but rather bang up the brass good. This was around 2012.

Then, recently i got my self a 85 Classic. It went back to factory without me shooting it.
Terrible finish. I swore i would never again buy something from Beretta again.

I keep reading about the ejection problem with the 85s. Also ive noticed that there is no mentioning about this until 2013ish..

Love Sakos. Have owned or own several 75, Finnbear and M98s.
Im a bit thorn about the 85 though. Its one of the finest gun to handle out there, in my opinion, but, there may be issues..

So, what is your opinion on the Sako 85? Lets love it or thrash it. Or both.

Last week, my promise to myself not to buy Beretta again went down the crapper..
Orderd a Sako 85, once again. I sure hope third times the charm.

Who knows?

I own 3 85s stainless laminate in 270, 300, 375. They are my favorite rifles. I like the thicker grip on the stock compared to other stocks and I think the triggers are the best. My 270 and 300 give me no issues. My 375 had issues ejecting shells, they would hit the scope and fall back into gun causing a jam. I turned the scope 90 degrees counter clockwise and resolved the issue. They are all really accurate. It would take a lot to get me to switch to a different rifle manufacturer at this point.

I have three 85 Classics and one 85 Bavarian. The alleged problem is with long and extra long actions. My 375H&H does not have the problem and was purchased in 2015. I am using the low and not the extra low Optilock mounts with a 30mm tube.

Own a 338 federal in s/s
A 370 Sako mag (9.3x66) blued
And a 500 Jeffery blued
all no problems with anything
All very accurate with factory and handloads

Well, as i said i sure hope for third times the charm. I will have to wait a few weeks and the see. Bye the way, it actually feel like ive come full circle with this one.
It is in a configuaration i want oh so bad back in maybe 09.

And, ive payed less for it brand new then a Tikka T3 costs:ROFLMAO:

I used a Sako 85S in 7/08 for 3 or 4 years of elk hunting. I didn't get an elk during that time so I switched over to a luckier rifle; but I really liked the rifle. It worked well for me in all shooting and mechanical aspects- it just couldn't find the elk. Maybe I shouldn't blame the rifle, but it wasn't hunter error.;)

I have three M85 rifles. I like them all, but the long & magnum action rifles do have a bit of a design flaw in the ejection.
My .308 ( short action) is perfect in all respects.
The 7x64 ( long action) was a bit fussy with ejection if a scope with large turrets was mounted low. Sometimes a case would hit the turret and bounce back into the action. I settled on a scope with smaller turrets anyway, so no problem.
The .375H&H was more serious. When shot using the excellent iron sights, no worries. But if a scope was mounted low, many times cases would hit the scope turret when ejected and fall back into the action. I did my research, and discovered that the problem was the amount of clearance between the extractor claw and the bolt face. This excess clearance lets the case wobble around a bit during ejection and so allowed the case to build momentum upwards instead of sideways. If the case was held tighter, it would eject at the correct angle. Sako had no solution to offer, a new extractor purchased from the factory had the same problem. So I had a skilled machinist make me three new extractors for the equivalent of $40 US. The first time he didn't get the fit quite right, and the heat treating was too brittle, and one broke. So he made me a new set, and these worked perfectly. I liked the new extractor in the .375 so much that I also put a new one in the 7x64.
All three rifles are now perfectly reliable, and I can truly say that Sako's advertised "controlled round feed" seems to be a fact, after the modification.
Such a simple fix, I wish Sako would just swallow their pride, make the adjustment, and fix the reputation of these rifles. It is very easy to change the extractor yourself if you have a couple of precision screwdrivers and some instruction.
I am perfectly happy with all three of my Sako 85 rifles now. I would confidently use my .375 on dangerous game. But before? - only with the iron sights or with a scope with a duplex reticle turned 90° counterclockwise to get the windage turret out of the way.
Actually, it makes me wonder why windage turrets were ever placed in their traditional position. I makes more sense to me to keep the load/eject port as open as possible. If the scope windage adjustment was normally on the left side, this "problem" wouldn't exist.

IMG_5735.jpg
IMG_5738.jpg
IMG_5736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have three M85 rifles. I like them all, but the long & magnum action rifles do have a bit of a design flaw in the ejection.
My .308 ( short action) is perfect in all respects.
The 7x64 ( long action) was a bit fussy with ejection if a scope with large turrets was mounted low. Sometimes a case would hit the turret and bounce back into the action. I settled on a scope with smaller turrets anyway, so no problem.
The .375H&H was more serious. When shot using the excellent iron sights, no worries. But if a scope was mounted low, many times cases would hit the scope turret when ejected and fall back into the action. I did my research, and discovered that the problem was the amount of clearance between the extractor claw and the bolt face. This excess clearance lets the case wobble around a bit during ejection and so allowed the case to build momentum upwards instead of sideways. If the case was held tighter, it would eject at the correct angle. Sako had no solution to offer, a new extractor purchased from the factory had the same problem. So I had a skilled machinist make me three new extractors for the equivalent of $40 US. The first time he didn't get the fit quite right, and the heat treating was too brittle, and one broke. So he made me a new set, and these worked perfectly. I liked the new extractor in the .375 so much that I also put a new one in the 7x64.
All three rifles are now perfectly reliable, and I can truly say that Sako's advertised "controlled round feed" seems to be a fact, after the modification.
Such a simple fix, I wish Sako would just swallow their pride, make the adjustment, and fix the reputation of these rifles. It is very easy to change the extractor yourself if you have a couple of precision screwdrivers and some instruction.
I am perfectly happy with all three of my Sako 85 rifles now. I would confidently use my .375 on dangerous game. But before? - only with the iron sights or with a scope with a duplex reticle turned 90° counterclockwise to get the windage turret out of the way.
Actually, it makes me wonder why windage turrets were ever placed in their traditional position. I makes more sense to me to keep the load/eject port as open as possible. If the scope windage adjustment was normally on the left side, this "problem" wouldn't exist.
I really have to wonder the same thing. Scope design must have been designed by a lefty.

Read my hunt report BUFFALO RODEO IN THE KALAHARI. I detail the familiar ejection problems while facing a wounded Cape Buffalo. My rifle is a Sako 85 Kodiak 375 H&H. My rifle jammed after a follow up shot on the afformentioned Buffalo, and caused my PH to have to finish off my Buffalo. I've had many other successful hunts with this rifle, and it's extremely accurate and fast handling, so I didn't want to sell it. I turned the scope 90° to the left and solved the ejection problem. In my opinion this is a great way to mount the scope on any rifle, as it clears the ejection port for easy reloading. But only works if you have a standard duplex scope with no elevation marks on the reticle.

Read my hunt report BUFFALO RODEO IN THE KALAHARI. I detail the familiar ejection problems while facing a wounded Cape Buffalo. My rifle is a Sako 85 Kodiak 375 H&H. My rifle jammed after a follow up shot on the afformentioned Buffalo, and caused my PH to have to finish off my Buffalo. I've had many other successful hunts with this rifle, and it's extremely accurate and fast handling, so I didn't want to sell it. I turned the scope 90° to the left and solved the ejection problem. In my opinion this is a great way to mount the scope on any rifle, as it clears the ejection port for easy reloading. But only works if you have a standard duplex scope with no elevation marks on the reticle.
I read your report previously, it’s really unfortunate. I’m glad I discovered the problem before my buffalo hunt and was able to put 3 quickly into mine. It’s really too bad they won’t fix what they know is an issue. My 375 kodiak is my favorite of my 85s, it just points and balances perfectly.

My 85 "Arctos" in 9.3 is my favorite black bear rifle. It has been to Canada with me three times. it would do equally well on PG in Africa, but I always seem to have a .375 along for that. It has never exhibited an ejection problem.

Well, i think its safe to say that some Sakos do have an ejection issue.
I would know, i did have one. Although it wasnt a really bad one since the cartridge always left the action.

But what about the overall finish on the rifle? Was i really unlucky last time or is this something that is more ocurring now days? As i remember there was no overall quality issues with the 75 and older 85. But now, i dunno?

For mine no complaints. Mine is 30-06, 85. Nice details in the overall finish.
When the rifle was bought, it was delivered in a box with thick paper between barrel and stock, to easily identify floated barrel. Paper was oiled.
Rose wood was added on lower part of pistol grip, and forend of stock, on fore schnabel (front beaver tail?)
Checkering is flawless, diamond type, i dont know how much LPI. But small and nice.
Palm swell on pistol grip.
Operation flawless. Ejection, extraction, bolt operation with full mag.
Set trigger, single stage, light as feather - one of the best I ever tried. three position safety.

Testing at range, very good. Full mag, 5 shots, keep the group, repeat, 5 shots, keep the group, etc.
(For african safari I was training with FMJ, but did not take sako 85 to Africa - where I used rental rifle)
Best group I ever made, from rest, was 3 cm, at 200 meters, with nosler ballistic tips, 180 grains, which makes 1/2 moa - but it was my lucky day.
I cannot say I can do that every time.

The only thing I am not delighted with is optilock QD mount system. The mounts must go were they are supposed to go, and my scope 56mm due to front bell getting on rear sight, I had to put on medium rings, not low.
But, using QD optilock mounts, the optics and rifle keep zero. Functional and reliable.

I have four Sakos - never a problem. However, there does seem to be a problem with ejection in the large calibers. That’s why I only have up to and including 338 Winchester magnum.

I have four Sakos - never a problem. However, there does seem to be a problem with ejection in the large calibers. That’s why I only have up to and including 338 Winchester magnum.

I had set my mind on a sako bavarian in 338 win mag flavour but the ejection problems are putting me off but it sounds like you are not having any trouble with yours. Have you had any trouble at all? What scope do you have on yours?

Besides my Kodiak 375, I also have a M85 9.3x62 and a M75 30/06 that do not have ejection issue at all. Like many have said, it seems to be the longer case length of the 375 that causes the issue the most.

Thanks to @spike.t , it has been brought to my attention that John Rigby & Co. has actually built 3 bolt rifles chambered in .458 Winchester magnum calibre ... on Sako Model 85 actions . This was the original British John Rigby & Co. too ( back when Mr. David Marx ran the show in the early 1970s ) and not the John Rigby & Co. that was established in Passo Robles , California for a brief period of time during the 1990s .
Certainly the Sako Model 85 cannot be all that bad .

Thanks to @spike.t , it has been brought to my attention that John Rigby & Co. has actually built 3 bolt rifles chambered in .458 Winchester magnum calibre ... on Sako Model 85 actions . This was the original British John Rigby & Co. too ( back when Mr. David Marx ran the show in the early 1970s ) and not the John Rigby & Co. that was established in Passo Robles , California for a brief period of time during the 1990s .
Certainly the Sako Model 85 cannot be all that bad .

Think it was on the older Sako actions as the 85 is relatively recent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coffeee9633

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?