Your opinion on the Sako 85

Think it was on the older Sako actions as the 85 is relatively recent
I did not think of that . Thank you so much , Spike T. Who ever owns 1 of those 3 rifles ... probably has it locked up in a vault , some where . They are so incredibly rare , that even a photograph does not exist on the internet . I cannot imagine the premium that a collector would pay... just to own 1 of those 3 rifles.

I had set my mind on a sako bavarian in 338 win mag flavour but the ejection problems are putting me off but it sounds like you are not having any trouble with yours. Have you had any trouble at all? What scope do you have on yours?

I have Swarovski and Leupold scopes.
I do not have the Bavarian but the 85 stainless steel barreled Hunter 85s.
The Bavarian stock drops a fair amount so when you line up to see through the scope you’ll have the stock against your face but a lot farther down instead of your cheek bone.
The Bavarian in my opinion is best suited to open sights.
Suggest the Hunter 85 series.
I’ve never had any issues at all in my Sakos.

I have a .300 Winchester Magnum Sako 85 L action stainless synthetic I bought in either 2008 or 2009. It has a 4-12x50 Swarovski AV scope mounted in low (if I recall correctly) Optilock rings. I have never had any ejection or other issues with it. I have been very satisfied with it.

Interesting, there are similar issue listed elsewhere on the net.
My only experience with a Sako 85 was a hire rifle on my only African Safari. It worked flawlessly and I would expect it would it was owned by he outfitter. He said it was his personal rifle. One of a few I guess but I opted To try the 7mmRM in our early discussions

What I did see was the difference between Sako and Tikka. I was disappointed in my first Tikka T3 purchased online. Just the plastic etc but they work otherwise.

The Sako are the better of the higher quality and better by design but don’t discount the Tikka for value and affordability

I own an 85 Hunter in 338 Federal with a straight stock. It's a really nice gun - fit and finish are quite good. No ejection issues at all. Nice trigger, smooth action. She does seem to be a bit picky about what she shoots well, however. Need to do some more work at the reloading bench with 210 grain Partitions and 215 grain Gamekings.

I'd gladly own another Sako and have looked at a few in 338 WM. I like the 85 Classic. I will say that I dislike the weird, non-parallel integral scope mounting bases on the 85s. Essentially forces you to use the Sako rings. As long as you are using the permanent Optilock ringmounts that are the bases/rings in a single package it works well. I think the separate Optilock bases are chunky and ugly.

.... I will say that I dislike the weird, non-parallel integral scope mounting bases on the 85s. Essentially forces you to use the Sako rings. As long as you are using the permanent Optilock ringmounts that are the bases/rings in a single package it works well. I think the separate Optilock bases are chunky and ugly.
I guess Sako thought it is a better mouse trap.

Sako recently released a new series of actions/rifles: the S20. It has integral picatinny rails on the action. Esthetics will not appeal to traditionalists but reviews look favorable so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Goose Cracker

We share the same thought for optilock mounts. I just posted it on my earlier post!

I guess Sako thought it is a better mouse trap.

I'm sure they did. I think I understand the rationale from an engineering perspective. But I'm a finance guy and a skeptic, and my guess is they primarily did it to sell you their own mounts as well.

Sako 85s look pretty.

Design is a cost cutting POS.

If the ejection raffle isn't bad enough, pull one out of the wood and have a look at how the recoil lug meets the stock. I can't bring myself to refer to sheet metal and wood screws as "bedding".

Maybe the bigger calibres are done differently - I don't know.

Sako 85s look pretty.

Design is a cost cutting POS.

If the ejection raffle isn't bad enough, pull one out of the wood and have a look at how the recoil lug meets the stock. I can't bring myself to refer to sheet metal and wood screws as "bedding".

Maybe the bigger calibres are done differently - I don't know.
Interesting, I just looked at n exploded view.
I had previously only seen recoil lugs s integral or at least locked in sold like the Remington version
Tikka have it sitting in the stock and the cation rate catches on it, I thought it was back to front t first but I guess it’s the action down tight it’s going to stay tight against it.
I’m no engineer but make , design, build many things I don’t understand this but I guess their engineers have done testing or calculations to show these recoil lug deigns have sufficient shear strength albeit we re used to seeing them as a solid protusion integral or ireffuteably locked in.

It seems the a the recoil lug / sheet metal insert of the Sako 85 offends the sensibilities of many traditionalists. But I've never heard of the system failing, and the model 85 rifles do come with an accuracy gaurantee, something lesser quality but "traditional" rifles seldom offer.

Sorry to revive a dead thread- But does anyone know the purpose of the bolt in the front of the stock on the Sako 85 Kodiak? Hoping it can be removed to install another sling swivel stud. I don't see any other Sako with a bolt there. Any help is much appreciated.

Sorry to revive a dead thread- But does anyone know the purpose of the bolt in the front of the stock on the Sako 85 Kodiak? Hoping it can be removed to install another sling swivel stud. I don't see any other Sako with a bolt there. Any help is much appreciated.
I believe they just used the same stock as on their grey wolf model, so they just used it to fill the hole where the swivel should go. I’ve thought of doing same to mine, the recoil isn’t severe enough to justify being on the barrel.

Dead threads keep it interesting. We can go back to what we wrote or see what others think.
Can you post a pic. I haven't handled the Kodiak or grey wolf.

Dead threads keep it interesting. We can go back to what we wrote or see what others think.
Can you post a pic. I haven't handled the Kodiak or grey wolf.
I don't yet own a Sako Kodiak but I am considering purchasing one, however I like the ability to run a sling swivel mounted bipod and unless I can easily install one to this rifle it might be a deal breaker.
That said, here is a pic I snatched from Sako's website showing the fastener in question.

Sako kodiak forearm screw.jpg

That is just a blank - it has no function. I took my Kodiak .375 out of its stock because I was curious. It would be the obvious place to put a bipod attachment point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyMcAuley

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles