Your favorite 2 rifle and 1 shot gun combination

I have a CZ 557 in .30-06 and a CZ 550 in .375 H&H. I would add a plain pump action 12 gauge chambered for 2 3/4 or 3 inch with screw in chokes.
Having answered a question on favorite cartridges differently, I have to admit that these are not my favorite combination - they would rather make up the most useful combination in my battery. My favorites are a Mossberg .22LR, a Winchester .30-30 and a Remington 870 in 20 gauge. Those are the guns in my battery that see the most use.

Blaser R8 300WM and 375H&H for the rifles. For the shotgun I have the Blaser F3 but it’s limited by the 3” chambers. It’s not sexy but my Benelli SBE3 is the most versatile for all conditions. I’d probably take it over the F3 if I could only have one for that reason.

when I go back to Africa the combination will be a Kimber(89) 330 Dakota (210) gr swift. And winchester Model 70 416 REM, 400gr bear claw and 400 gr hornady solids both shoot same point of impact. would like to shoot some more planes game and one or two more buffalo with some night hunting for sure. thats the plan so far. 12 ga. Berretta 390 semi auto

What I grew up on was a ruger 10/22, a ruger m77 in 30-06, and a Remington 870super express 12ga. They make many, many more beautiful combos, but this one is hard to beat in North America.

Pre-64 model 70 low comb super grades. No scopes but maybe a receiver sight on a 300 H&H shooting 180 grain Nosler partitions. Swift-A frames 300 grain in the 375. Woodleigh or any good solid if for elephant. A 20 gauge Browning superposed with 3 inch chambers,28” barrels choked ic and modified.

Savage model 24. I own 3 in .22/410, .22/20 and .357/20. The model 24 is not made anymore but there are always plenty of them on Gunbroker but the prices have been going up.

Savage currently makes a plastic combo thing called the model 42 in.22/410 and .22 mag/410 iirc. I handled one and was not in the least impressed with it. Other folks will probably be perfectly happy with it.

Chiappa makes the Double Badger with a rimfire barrel over .410 but I have no experience with them.

Savage model 24. I own 3 in .22/410, .22/20 and .357/20. The model 24 is not made anymore but there are always plenty of them on Gunbroker but the prices have been going up.

Savage currently makes a plastic combo thing called the model 42 in.22/410 and .22 mag/410 iirc. I handled one and was not in the least impressed with it. Other folks will probably be perfectly happy with it.

Chiappa makes the Double Badger with a rimfire barrel over .410 but I have no experience with them.

I had a 24 in 20 3 inch and .30-30 , learnt me much of the 2 cartridges, felt like 2x4 sometimes, but i wish it had not opened up in the shot twice. So it went to scrap years ago sadly.

12.7x99
9.3x80R
10ga
If I ever had use for a drilling, it'd be 6.5 Creedmoor over a 10ga with a second set of .35 Whelen over a .410. The 12.7 would be a Barrett semi auto to take game at 2 miles with milder recoil. The 9.3x80R would be in a DR because it's inherently more powerful than the piddly x74R. Just keeping with the theme here. LOL

12.7x99
The 12.7 would be a Barrett semi auto to take game at 2 miles
Not getting into the ethics swamp, but this will only work if you have exclusive access to the property or travel system that gets you to the animal within a minute or two- otherwise someone will have the animal tagged, gutted and being moved to their camp by the time you get there.

Not getting into the ethics swamp, but this will only work if you have exclusive access to the property or travel system that gets you to the animal within a minute or two- otherwise someone will have the animal tagged, gutted and being moved to their camp by the time you get there.
Off topic, but back in my LE days, I once served out of county felony summonses for robbery to a father and his son, who had gone to another elk camp with their rifles and took back an elk that they stated they had shot but was tagged by another hunter and taken to his camp. Nothing like taking the law into your own hands over an elk. Unbelievable!

the recent posts give an idea- a remote control drone with sufficient lift capability to pick-up a 600 pound animal and transport it a mile or two. thus someone could shoot an animal at great distance. Send the drone out to retrieve the animal and drop it at a location where it could be dressed and moved without any of that old-school stuff of sectioning and backpacking it over hill and blowdown.

the recent posts give an idea- a remote control drone with sufficient lift capability to pick-up a 600 pound animal and transport it a mile or two. thus someone could shoot an animal at great distance. Send the drone out to retrieve the animal and drop it at a location where it could be dressed and moved without any of that old-school stuff of sectioning and backpacking it over hill and blowdown.
I think the most cost effective way, would be for the long distance shooter to have a "forward observer" several hundred yards out from his shooting position. The observer could then race to the animal and tag it via GPS coordinates sent to him by the shooter from his satellite phone after the kill site was "painted" by the laser on his 250x spotting scope?

I would hate to be limited to two rifles and one shotgun but here are my choices;

Armstrong 12bore SxS
Merkel DR 8 x 60R
(Both the above made in 1920s)
Steyr SL .222 Remington (1988)
1673468501359.jpeg

1673468429601.jpeg

1673468208637.jpeg

I would amend IvW's recommendation as follows: since I like 2 shots out of a shotgun, 12ga x12 ga over 7.65 drilling, then reverse the process, double rifle drilling over 16 ga--pick favorite cal., and 30 cal rimmed, or 9.3x74R come to mind) and lastly any favorite heavy. Add .22 inserts for the cherry on top.

If I can't swing those purchases, then 12x12 Sauer sidelock, .22lr, and 375 H&H Sako safari.

@Ray B
They have a manned drone for that. It's called a helicopter.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyMaste

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!

Hyde Hunter wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
which East Cape Taxidermist are you referring to? I had Lauriston do my work not real happy with them. oh thanks for the advise on the mount hangers a few months ago. Jim
jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with