Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

He saw the 35 number and nothing else:ROFLMAO:
@Rule 303
Mate all I saw as you said was the number 35, after that unless it has a 5 in it it doesn't register. Unless it's 22 hornet or 222 remington then the light clicks back on.
Bob

I hunted these three extensively this year.

Koedoe and buff with the 450-400 3&2/4”
4 x impala with the 7mm FN
Didnd fire the 9,3x62, but dit 30 odd km with her.

Nowadays most hunting happens with my Tikka CTR .308 - client rifle and bushpig rig with a thermal followed by my .416 Ruger for everything and my 6,5x57 Brno Mod 21.

The first three are still the favourites.
How do you like the 6.5x57? That thing is rare here in NA...and in a Brno 21 no less....nice!

I would hate to be confined to such a small box but when it comes to my gun needs, I could live with this O/U Trifecta...

50919311472_3a65a89d9a_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
.45 Long Colt and .410. It's very versatile but louder than a bomb and kicks like a mule - the recoil is actually bearable, surprisingly but it is loud.

OK that is bearable, to me, just :) I thought it might be 44 Magnum. I have fire one of those and it definitely is not pleasant and I think both rounds hit the sides, roof or floor of the indoor range.........sort of like hitting the side of a barn while inside it:ROFLMAO:

So, I have a question for the hive. My very good buddy won an auction at a DU Banquet and we got an African PG hunt. The critters are impala, warthog, wildebeest, blesbuck, and I’d like to upgrade to a kudu. What caliber do you all think is sufficient? I have the choice of a 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 WM (unfortunately has a muzzle brake), and 416 Rem Mag. I’d like to use the 416 w/ 350s for the kudu. I’m just soliciting opinions from those that have done this way more than I have…

Last edited:
The 7mm with heavy bullets will be fine. The 338WM will be fine just tell the PH well in advance you’ve got a break on the gun. Personally I’d take the 416. This will leave you the ability to shoot damn near anything without issue if you see an eland or a cow buf and they want to make a deal.

The hunt you won sounds like something with Kuche Safaris. I won the same trip during Covid and will be going summer 2023. I’ll be taking my 375 H&H on my hunt for that reason.

So, I have a question for the hive. My very good buddy won an auction at a DU Banquet and we got an African PG hunt. The critters are impala, warthog, wildebeest, blesbuck, and I’d like to upgrade to a kudu. What caliber do you all think is sufficient? I have the choice of a 25-06, 7mm Rem Mag, 338 WM (unfortunately has a muzzle brake), and 416 Rem Mag. I’d like to use the 416 w/ 350s for the kudu. I’m just soliciting opinions from those that have done this way more than I have…
@RETD16
The 7mm mag with 160 accubonds or swift AFrames is more than adequate.
Bob

I can't believe I'm the first here to say this... Why not use your upcoming safari to buy a new (or used) rifle. I see a very distinct gap between .338 and .416...a 375 (you choice which one) would be a very nice addition for such a trip.

Option 2 - explain to your wife how you are going to save money by having the brake removed from your 338WM instead of buying a new rifle. Have it threaded if you want so you can add a brake or suppressor at a later time. Truth be told 250 grain bullets for a 600# Kudu is a little much, but I'd rather have too much bullet than not enough.

If you really want to stick with what you have...7mmRM with Barnes TSX or Swift A-Frame 160 grain pills will get the job done nicely. My wife took hers with a 270WIN with 150 grain Swift A-Frames at 100 yards. Shot placement and bullet construction trump everything else.

I love it. Both the calibre and the rifle. Its a wonderful light stalking rifle that punches above it’s class with 140-160gr bullets

7mm Mag would be my choice for that particular list. My brother took his Kudu with a rental 308 and 150 gr Core Lokt bullets supplied by outfitter (we did not take guns), and 7mag with 160-175gr will top that performance. Ask your PH/outfitter if they have a preference or recommendation, or even look into using theirs unless you really want to take your own. No hassle with permits or gun travel is why I rented, and I'm not sentimental to using my own.

The 7mm with heavy bullets will be fine. The 338WM will be fine just tell the PH well in advance you’ve got a break on the gun. Personally I’d take the 416. This will leave you the ability to shoot damn near anything without issue if you see an eland or a cow buf and they want to make a deal.

The hunt you won sounds like something with Kuche Safaris. I won the same trip during Covid and will be going summer 2023. I’ll be taking my 375 H&H on my hunt for that reason.
I think that I’m going to bring the 416 because of the chance to possibly take an eland or buffalo that they might want to make a deal on.

I think that I’m going to bring the 416 because of the chance to possibly take an eland or buffalo that they might want to make a deal on.
You can also always rent. The 7mm should put down an Eland if you do your part. The bigger caliber is just there for margin of error.

Using the hunt as an excuse to buy a 375 works, as does the suggestion of removing the break. I almost asked if that was possible but assumed if it was you already would’ve and put a thread protector on the muzzle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrandiBunn

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?