Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

Well amschind, if I don't shoot beyond 400 yards and the ballistics of the 7mm-08 are better than the 6.5 CM to 500 yards, why would I prefer a CM then, especially if I can shoot a heavier bullet. I only shoot premium bullets 150-160 grains with Staball 6.5...giving me 2900 ft/sec with the 150 Swift Sirocco's and touching 2800 ft/sec with 160 grainers....I guess that is better as what I ever thought I would get with the 7mm-08 when I started out with it...that is enough MV and ME for me on the animals I shoot with it (deer, antelope and elk) inside 400 yards. So for now I am more than satisfied with the 7mm-08 and recommend it for anybody wanting a deer rifle with which you can also shoot elk size game if you keep your distances under 400 yards.

I agree, the existence of improvements to existing things doesn't make the older stuff any WORSE. I put together some 170 FP loads for my great grandfather's 1894, and that gun could easily kill an elk or moose at 100 yards. If you're not using heavier bullets then the "Creedmoor" mod does you no good. My thinking is more for folks who don't already have one, where a slight modification to the 7mm-08 might well replace the 7mm RM. I hope that makes more sense.

Well amschind, if I don't shoot beyond 400 yards and the ballistics of the 7mm-08 are better than the 6.5 CM to 500 yards, why would I prefer a CM then, especially if I can shoot a heavier bullet. I only shoot premium bullets 150-160 grains with Staball 6.5...giving me 2900 ft/sec with the 150 Swift Sirocco's and touching 2800 ft/sec with 160 grainers....I guess that is better as what I ever thought I would get with the 7mm-08 when I started out with it...that is enough MV and ME for me on the animals I shoot with it (deer, antelope and elk) inside 400 yards. So for now I am more than satisfied with the 7mm-08 and recommend it for anybody wanting a deer rifle with which you can also shoot elk size game if you keep your distances under 400 yards.
I am a big fan of the 7mm-08 as well. Ballistics basically mirrors the 7x57 that killed everything there is to kill in Africa. And the short action makes for a lighter more compact rifle than the 7x57

It is my go-to Whitetail Rifle shooting 160 Nosler Partitions which are absolutely deadly on Whitetails at 7mm-08 velocities in the 50-175 yard range which is as far as I can shoot from my hunting blinds.

And I took it to RSA shooting 140 grain Nolser Accubonds to take Blesbok, Impala, Nyala, Mountain Reedbuck, Bontebuck and Bushbuck. All one shot kills.

I had a 300 Wby with me and used it on a Blue Wildebeest pushing 180 grain Nosler Partition...one shot kill.

At this point, if I was to use the 7mm-08 again on PG I would be running the 150 grain Swift Scirocco's also.

I don't shoot beyond 500 yards at animals and any theoretical advantage the 6.5 Man Bun has over the 7mm-08 is irrelevant to me. I will take the 7mm bullet everyday.

That said...if someone wants to use the 6.5 have at it. Put it in the lungs and the animal will die

One thing I didn’t state in my previous post was that as a lefty, and demanding a CRF action, my rifle options are somewhat limited.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is a Ruger, as is the .375 Ruger, and the .338 Win Mag is a Winchester Model 70.

.44 Magnum, being restricted to straight walled cartridges in Ohio (and works well in handgun or rifle for added versalitility)

.375 H&H for anything the .44 can't comfortably handle

.450 3 1/4 NE though I don't own one, on paper, it seems that Rigby got it just right with the original NE from the standpoint of power, gun weight, and recoil levels

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelBen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jimbo1972 wrote on Bwaybuilder's profile.
Great to do business with
Grz63 wrote on Cecil Hammonds's profile.
Greetings from Clermont -ferrand !!
We 'll visit Livingstone / Vic Falls for 3 days and 2 nights. Back to Mapcha by car, back to WDH with Airlink (grab my rifles and belongings) and the same day back to Frankfurt.
What do you mind from your own experience ? and your wife .? Did she appreciate ?
We already hunted Namibia in 2022, May for PG near Outjo for 8 days. Great country.
Thank you for your advises.
Philippe
Hello Cecil
I am Philippe from Center of France. I plan to hunt Zambezi with Zana Botes in 2026, Oct after a couple of days for PG in Namibia in his lodge. I will be with my wife. She is not really a huntress and we promised to go visit Vic Falls. I imagine to go to Caprivi by car , hunt there 7 days (for buff) and go by car to Vic falls (PH will bring back my rifle) . sorry I am required to write 2 messages
buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com