Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

If I dispense with the obvious 3 for American use (.22 LR, 30-06 and 12 gauge) and answer for African use...well that's easy...7x57, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby. I've used others for sure but those are the go to's.

Well... I've changed my list again! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

After vowing to never sell my 270WSM... l sold it. (n)
Had a rough month with bills - and someone offered me enough cash for it, so l reluctantly sold it.
But this was the one rifle in the safe that was expendable as another rifle in there could do the same job... plus a bit more...

So my new 3 favourite hunting cartridges of all time are...

1.) .243 Winchester - Small stuff + small deer

2.) .300 Winchester Magnum - Big deer + big stuff

3.) 425 Express - Really big stuff

I think that this is a really useful trio and l'd happily hunt anywhere in world with them. (y)

I don't reckon this list is going to change... well not for a while anyway, as instead of buying new rifles l really just want to get out there and hunt with the rifles l already own.
But one thing that l can promise, is that I'll never sell the 425 Express.
That rifle was made especially for me and in my eyes, is irreplaceable.

Russ

Well... I've changed my list again! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

After vowing to never sell my 270WSM... l sold it. (n)
Had a rough month with bills - and someone offered me enough cash for it, so l reluctantly sold it.
But this was the one rifle in the safe that was expendable as another rifle in there could do the same job... plus a bit more...

So my new 3 favourite hunting cartridges of all time are...

1.) .243 Winchester - Small stuff + small deer

2.) .300 Winchester Magnum - Big deer + big stuff

3.) 425 Express - Really big stuff

I think that this is a really useful trio and l'd happily hunt anywhere in world with them. (y)

I don't reckon this list is going to change... well not for a while anyway, as instead of buying new rifles l really just want to get out there and hunt with the rifles l already own.
But one thing that l can promise, is that I'll never sell the 425 Express.
That rifle was made especially for me and in my eyes, is irreplaceable.

Russ
Sorry to hear you had to sell the 270WSM. Couldn't you have gotten rid of the Pope Gun, the 243. Thats barely enough for a charging mouse and certainly not enough for a wounded mosquito. :LOL:

404 Jeffery - for dangerous game
9.3x62 - for plains game inside 200yds
300 H&H - for plains game beyond 200yds

To me these would be practical and versatile - and appealing for their character and history as well.

That said, I’ve always wanted a 280AI, and leaving the 22Hornet off any list that uses the word “favorite” makes me a bit sad even if it’s the furthest thing from practical or versatile!

To me these would be practical and versatile - and appealing for their character and history as well.

That said, I’ve always wanted a 280AI, and leaving the 22Hornet off any list that uses the word “favorite” makes me a bit sad even if it’s the furthest thing from practical or versatile!
John
Those are good choices, i like your way of thinking!

Now that is a classic and very practical and capable set......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaraAmies

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe