You be the Judge! Caliber Question

I’m suprised that no enablers have told me I need to buy a new rifle, like a 9.3x62, or an R8!
Not sure if you are trying to stir the pot here, but it's funny.

Sure, buy a Blaser R8 Professional with 257WBY, 300WM and 375H&H barrels and you will be set. OK, maybe add the 22lr kit and a Pelican case as well. If you sold the rifles you have (kept the scopes) and got these, you would be ahead money with rifles that would travel easier.

Seems like your 300 and 8x68 still needs scopes? The 270 and 30-06's seem so boring compared to rest...apologies just my opinion, although both of them would be ideal as well. I like to take 2/3 guns on a PG hunt. Swop out each on a different day and just for in case. So I would say take 2, my choice being the 450/400 and 7x57. If the others had scopes I would pair them 7x57 & 375; 450/400 & 300/8x68

Not sure if you are trying to stir the pot here, but it's funny.

Sure, buy a Blaser R8 Professional with 257WBY, 300WM and 375H&H barrels and you will be set. OK, maybe add the 22lr kit and a Pelican case as well. If you sold the rifles you have (kept the scopes) and got these, you would be ahead money with rifles that would travel easier.
100% stirring the pot. But I am a fan of the system, even came close to buying one in 2015 before I went to Africa. Should have back then, they seemed to be priced a bit more reasonable back then for a wood stock.

100% stirring the pot. But I am a fan of the system, even came close to buying one in 2015 before I went to Africa. Should have back then, they seemed to be priced a bit more reasonable back then for a wood stock.
They are addictive. Started with 1 stock and 1 barrel, we now have 3 stocks with 4 barrels and I’d really like another…;) Glad I made the switch when I did in 2019.

Best of luck with your upcoming hunt.

If I'm taking one rifle on all those hunts its ole reliable-the CZ 375. Overkill? No sir! That moose and all other on that list (except turkey) can be done with any .30 cal but the CZ 375 is just my go to. Fill it with Barnes and call it a day. My CZ 375 has been with me from here to Africa and back a few times. CZ has Never let me down. Lucky draws, Have fun!!!

Everybody is going to give you their favorite caliber and all will work. I've killed everything on your list except turkeys with a 270. I've killed well over 60 of them but all with shotguns.

At the moment, I'm "rediscovering " the .30-06. I'd probably use that if I had the tags or.... pull a separate gun for each species just for the fun of it.

If brass is the hang up for the 280, I have 280 Rem brass that I could be persuaded to sell. I'm not trying to sell, I just don't want to see a guy lose out over that.

Planning and preparing is much of the fun. Enjoy the anticipation!
Randy

I killed my first turkey with a .280
Rem when I was 19. Thirty years on, it's easy to say it wasn't the wisest choice but I sure was proud then. I did learn a good lesson- a body shot with a 140gr Partition doesn't make for a pretty Thanksgiving bird...

As to the OP's query, my vote goes to the .300 H&H.

Aaron You might be surprised at how little front sight you need to hold up to get to 300yds With the .450-400.
The old .45-70 gets out there & the .450-400 should shoot flatter.
I will have to look up a chart on my loads and see how they drop

If I'm taking one rifle on all those hunts its ole reliable-the CZ 375. Overkill? No sir! That moose and all other on that list (except turkey) can be done with any .30 cal but the CZ 375 is just my go to. Fill it with Barnes and call it a day. My CZ 375 has been with me from here to Africa and back a few times. CZ has Never let me down. Lucky draws, Have fun!!!
The good thing is that the zone is only 1.5 hours away near my folks, so it’s not going to be a single excursion.

Well because draw results are in, and it's a slow Friday, it seems like a good idea to pick the memberships brain for some fun.

This season I have drawn the following tags (a grand slam as far as I'm concerned):
-Antlered Moose
-Antlered Elk
-Antlered Mule Deer
-A Special Whitetail draw
-Merriams Turkey

The moose/elk/mule deer are all in the same zone, or at least adjacent zones where I grew up, id say 80/20% mix of field/bush, and shots wouldn't be over 300 yards. I'd love hear what you guys suggest I take out with me for a rifle. And please don't let common sense cloud your judgement!

-Weatherby Vanguard 270-This was the first rifle I bought. I have plenty of 130gr TTSX's loaded up.

-Sporter Mauser 7x75-The only ammo around for this is Cor-Loc’s

-2x Brno 30-06- I have Leupold VX-R 3x9's on top. I have 165 or 180gr Barnes Ammo for them.

-FN 300H&H- I'd love to put a Meopta 1.7-10 on this rifle, but new guns seem to take precedence, and could throw one of the VX-R's on it. I have some TTSX's (180gr I believe) loaded up to start finding one that works.

-Mauser Actioned 8x68s- I'm getting the safety swapped out so I can mount a scope with the existing EAW mounts. I have two boxes of 200gr A-Frames loaded from Norma. I also have 175gr CEB Raptors that I am really interested in testing, but would need to get some dies.

-CZ550 375- This one took my last moose four years ago with 250gr TTSX's.

-Ruger No1 450/400- I wasn't expecting to get drawn for moose this year, and was hoping to have time to play with cast bullets in this rifle. I'd think that would make a fun moose gun. That being said I do have 400gr Hornadys, but I believe they are solids.

-The one rifle that I really would love to use is my Ross M-10 in 280, but I'm waiting on brass for it, and also to get it to a good gunsmith so we can come up with a means of mounting and optic. Maybe it will be ready to go next fall.

Anyway, let's have some fun and hear some opinions!
@Aaron N
I would take the 300 H&H but I'm an old classic nut. Personally that is all I would consider, leave the rest at home as safe queens
Bob

I'm here to discuss the Mirriams Turkey.

Use whatever bore shotgun you want, but do yourself a favor a pick up a box of Federal Heavyweight TSS Turkey loads and a Carlson's TSS Turkey Choke. They shells aren't cheap, but you will get what you pay for. Here are my patterns...View attachment 477082
View attachment 477083
@BeeMaa
I initially thought you were showing us how that R8 of yours groups with different barrels, cartridges and bullet weights but then thought nah the R8 isn't that accurate.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Thanks for the offer, but the brass is for 280 Ross, not Rem. I’m waiting on some from Quality Cartridge.

I had no idea that Oregon had turkeys!
@Aaron N
That Irish state O'Regon even has turkeys that dot have feathers.
We won't mention any names.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

I’d use the rifle that you are most comfortable with. If one of those rifles just isn’t ideal in how it handles, take it out of the mix.
All of those calibers will work.
Since I have to pick, I’m partial to a 7 mag, so probably the .270 weatherby.

An R8 is inexpensive… sell a couple of those guns, buy one R8, then add some barrels.
@Tra3
You and @BeeMaa must love those R8s. For less price than an R8 barrel he could send the 270 off to JES and have it rebored to 35 Whelen and still have a bucket of money left for the finer things in life. Like hunting.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wioplex

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?