You be the Judge! Caliber Question

I'm here to discuss the Mirriams Turkey.

Use whatever bore shotgun you want, but do yourself a favor a pick up a box of Federal Heavyweight TSS Turkey loads and a Carlson's TSS Turkey Choke. They shells aren't cheap, but you will get what you pay for. Here are my patterns...View attachment 477082
View attachment 477083
I may have to touch base with you in the New Years. I’ve waited 13 years for this, and don’t know anyones who has ever gotten the draw.

Congrats on such amazing draw results!

Not much love for the 375 in this thread, so I’ll throw out a vote for that one.
I do think the 375 with 250s makes for a good set up.

I may have to touch base with you in the New Years. I’ve waited 13 years for this, and don’t know anyones who has ever gotten the draw.
A friend of mine took a shot at 30 yards and put the pattern about 2 inches in front of the beak and it never took another step. It dumped backwards like it was hit by a baseball bat and the head stayed on the ground (minor twitching for a few seconds, but that's it). He did it on purpose to prevent meat damage. All the pellets passed through the head and none were found in the breasts...perfect.
1657926038997.png

I do think the 375 with 250s makes for a good set up.

EDIT - Not gonna argue with a 375 as an option. It's always a good solution.

Merriams like to be called… a lot. I used to bowhunt for them (over the counter tags). They are different from Easterns. Just be patient. They will come in from miles away.

Everybody is going to give you their favorite caliber and all will work. I've killed everything on your list except turkeys with a 270. I've killed well over 60 of them but all with shotguns.

At the moment, I'm "rediscovering " the .30-06. I'd probably use that if I had the tags or.... pull a separate gun for each species just for the fun of it.

If brass is the hang up for the 280, I have 280 Rem brass that I could be persuaded to sell. I'm not trying to sell, I just don't want to see a guy lose out over that.

Planning and preparing is much of the fun. Enjoy the anticipation!
Randy

Everybody is going to give you their favorite caliber and all will work. I've killed everything on your list except turkeys with a 270. I've killed well over 60 of them but all with shotguns.

At the moment, I'm "rediscovering " the .30-06. I'd probably use that if I had the tags or.... pull a separate gun for each species just for the fun of it.

If brass is the hang up for the 280, I have 280 Rem brass that I could be persuaded to sell. I'm not trying to sell, I just don't want to see a guy lose out over that.

Planning and preparing is much of the fun. Enjoy the anticipation!
Randy
Thanks for the offer, but the brass is for 280 Ross, not Rem. I’m waiting on some from Quality Cartridge.

I had no idea that Oregon had turkeys!

I’d use the rifle that you are most comfortable with. If one of those rifles just isn’t ideal in how it handles, take it out of the mix.
All of those calibers will work.
Since I have to pick, I’m partial to a 7 mag, so probably the .270 weatherby.

An R8 is inexpensive… sell a couple of those guns, buy one R8, then add some barrels.

The `06(s) with your 165 monos. Sounds like they are ready to go.

Another vote for 300 H&H. If the 180gr Barnes TTSX doesn't shoot well try some 180 or 200gr Swift A-Frames. They generally shoot Sub-Moa and retain weight very well. They'd be a great choice for elk/moose at the larger end of the game you listed. Also, if you get a raking/quartering shot on a moose or elk at 300 yds you might be very happy you went with the old 300 H&H.

The elk is the toughest critter on the list, but the .300 H&H is a cool classic and up for the task. The 30-06 is a close second. There’s nothing wrong with the .375 though.…… ‘cept maybe for the turkey. ;)

Stunning number of tag draws for one hunter. Congrats. I know many, self included, that have gone 20 year stretches without a tag draw. Enjoy your bounty....................FWB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay A Huminsky

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg