Would you mount a Female Cape Buffalo?

I highly disagree with part of your statement. There is a difference between providing advice and saying something derogatory, especially if someone asks the question. Most first time African hunters go overboard with taxidermy. I’ve never once thought I wish I would have got more mounted from a trip I had 5 years ago. However, I have looked at taxidermy I’ve had done and considered what hunts I could have put that money towards instead. It doesn’t matter what someone else thinks, but I’d tell any first time African hunter to really think hard what needs mounted and what doesn’t from their trip, unless space and money are unlimited.
Amen. Wish you had told me that beforehand. Ha

Amen. Wish you had told me that beforehand. Ha
I have a bull buf shoulder mount and had plans to go for a cow. Covid killed that trip(no pun intended). I had even built a custom wide pedestal to mount them side by side.

I can give you the perspective of both a hunter and taxidermist. People put too much stock in what others think should or shouldn’t be mounted. If the hunt was good and you would like to commemorate that hunt with a shoulder mount then go for it. Who cares what others think. Trophy’s are in the eye of the beholder. Only the hunter can decide what is or isnt worthy, to hell what anyone else thinks. 9 times out of 10 (realistically 10 out of 10) those that say something derogatory about someone having mounted something do so out of jealousy or just sheer pretentiousness.
I can 100 percent say I will not be jealous of anyone’s buffalo cow shoulder mount.

10 out of 10?
Sometimes people have different opinions and it has nothing to do with pretentiousness

I can 100 percent say I will not be jealous of anyone’s buffalo cow shoulder mount.

10 out of 10?
Sometimes people have different opinions and it has nothing to do with pretentiousness
Expressing different opinions is not the same as saying something derogatory about another's choices.

10 out of 10?
I wasnt meaning that having a difference of opinion makes you pretentious, I was meaning those who make crappy comments about mounting something act pretentious.

Would you pay to get a quality floor pedestal mount of a Female Cape Buffalo, or would that just "look off"?

Def would
Im nota big fan ofpedastils but i would do a mount of some kind

I saw a euro mounted cow cape buffalo mount in a lodge in South Africa that was enormous. If I shot a cow the size I saw in SA then I would do a euro mount. I will try and find the picture. I would love to hunt a cow like the one I saw!

This cow was just outside of Kruger in the Klaserie area. If you shot this cow, you would be absolutely crazy to not have this mounted next to any bull you've shot.
DSC_7563.JPG

I’m doing nothing but skull mounts on everything here on out( trophy room is to full).but if I kill a large enough cow and shipping isn’t a problem I would enjoy a pedestal with a floor lamp .

^^^^^ that cow would make a awesome pedestal mount ^^^^

Last edited:
I highly disagree with part of your statement. There is a difference between providing advice and saying something derogatory, especially if someone asks the question. Most first time African hunters go overboard with taxidermy. I’ve never once thought I wish I would have got more mounted from a trip I had 5 years ago. However, I have looked at taxidermy I’ve had done and considered what hunts I could have put that money towards instead. It doesn’t matter what someone else thinks, but I’d tell any first time African hunter to really think hard what needs mounted and what doesn’t from their trip, unless space and money are unlimited.
Another thing to consider, is a euro mount and have the cape tanned. It will be their if you later decide to do a mount, or you can sell the cape at a later date. I have done this with Alaskan game and it worked out pretty good.

Would you pay to get a quality floor pedestal mount of a Female Cape Buffalo, or would that just "look off"?
I wouldn't even mount a male buffalo unless it's a very peculiar trophy like a scrum cap with a lot of scars.
I would just do euro mount.

Mount. Dang spellcheck.

Another thing to consider, is a euro mount and have the cape tanned. It will be their if you later decide to do a mount, or you can sell the cape at a later date. I have done this with Alaskan game and it worked out pretty good.
There would be some hair missing from cow cape that might pose a problem using it for a bull shoulder/pedestal mount. However, cow backskin should make a nice floor rug. Should be tough enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyman88W3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?