AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
MBS, SCI, NRA
Hunted
Limpopo South Africa. US. Maryland. Kentucky. West Virginia. Ohio. Illinois. Pennsylvania. Delaware.
Would you pay to get a quality floor pedestal mount of a Female Cape Buffalo, or would that just "look off"?

Not unless there was something particularly memorable about the hunt like maybe a charge. I’d just take a skull. Put the taxidermy money toward a bull or a next trip.

That's just too easy. Imma let that lie. :cool:

Would you pay to get a quality floor pedestal mount of a Female Cape Buffalo, or would that just "look off"?
I have Black Wildebeest male and female shoulder mounts, and Blue Wildebeest male and female euro’s next to each other.

Having the females really makes the male horns more impressive for me.

Aso happen to have memories on how the old mature females were hunted.

I wouldn’t mind adding a cow buffalo skull next to the bull I have. I think a double pedestal, cow and bull, would look intereresting.

If it was to remember something special about that hunt or special horns-yes I would! Otherwise it would be a euro mount.
There was a hunting video of a cow that when standing her horns dropped clear to the ground-and I’ve seen it other places as well (books, internet maybe)-but if I got a chance to shoot and mount one like that-definitely mount!

Ask a male Cape buffalo. I hope nobody here is a subject matter expert on this.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: You beat me to it...

I shot two. Both were great hunts, particularly the first. If I had a bigger bank account? I would have considered it. I am all about the memories that are generated. If there's some level of trophy quality others find pleasing, that's just a bonus.

Ask a male Cape buffalo. I hope nobody here is a subject matter expert on this.
What happens in the bushveld, stays in the bushveld. ;)

Members correct me if I'm wrong, I believe my PH said the record is a female.

A member here shot a cow buff, and the horns had drops like a male buffalo. I had to ask about it and the hunter confirmed it was a cow. That one cow deserved to be a shoulder mount, and in my humble and unprofessional opinion it was a beautiful beast. :D

What happens in the bushveld, stays in the bushveld. ;)

Members correct me if I'm wrong, I believe my PH said the record is a female.
Record R&W was a cow for a long time. Can’t recall for sure, but think it was bumped. As you know, R&W only scores width so no problem with thinner boss.

If I could get a good deal on the taxidermy, or if money was no object.

Otherwise, a Euro would be fine.

(I like skulls)

I have Black Wildebeest male and female shoulder mounts, and Blue Wildebeest male and female euro’s next to each other.

Having the females really makes the male horns more impressive for me.

Aso happen to have memories on how the old mature females were hunted.

I wouldn’t mind adding a cow buffalo skull next to the bull I have. I think a double pedestal, cow and bull, would look intereresting.
This is the only reason I would mount a cow buff to sit it next to a bull. If you don't already have a bull I'd just get the cow euro skull and save the taxidermy money to put towards getting a bull.

I can give you the perspective of both a hunter and taxidermist. People put too much stock in what others think should or shouldn’t be mounted. If the hunt was good and you would like to commemorate that hunt with a shoulder mount then go for it. Who cares what others think. Trophy’s are in the eye of the beholder. Only the hunter can decide what is or isnt worthy, to hell what anyone else thinks. 9 times out of 10 (realistically 10 out of 10) those that say something derogatory about someone having mounted something do so out of jealousy or just sheer pretentiousness.

Personally, I wouldn't unless it matched a bull mount or there was an unforgettable story to go with it. What else do we have mounts for except to capture our memories and to provide background for stories?

Or maybe do it just because you want to.

Trophies are for remembering hunts, remembering the excitement, the hardships, the sweat, the smell of the campfire, and the final moment when you know the animal is yours. They are not (or should not be) for impressing your fellow hunters. If it's a good animal that was well hunted, and if it brings back memories of a fine hunt in great surroundings, then I say, "Hell yes; mount it if you wish. It was your hunt, and these are your memories."

Only the hunter can decide what is or isnt worthy, to hell what anyone else thinks. 9 times out of 10 (realistically 10 out of 10) those that say something derogatory about someone having mounted something do so out of jealousy or just sheer pretentiousness.
I highly disagree with part of your statement. There is a difference between providing advice and saying something derogatory, especially if someone asks the question. Most first time African hunters go overboard with taxidermy. I’ve never once thought I wish I would have got more mounted from a trip I had 5 years ago. However, I have looked at taxidermy I’ve had done and considered what hunts I could have put that money towards instead. It doesn’t matter what someone else thinks, but I’d tell any first time African hunter to really think hard what needs mounted and what doesn’t from their trip, unless space and money are unlimited.

If I was a bull bufalo

Lon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hyman88W3

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?