Wolves Have Been Released in Colorado USA

Sorry for the not so great pics. The toenails were definitely visible in person. My son and I spent a bit of time inspecting and even trailing for a ways to find definitive prints. When I first saw them, my initial thought was lion, but then I saw the toenails and elongation.

2 paws hitting the same place. Notice the "extra" toe?

I'm not a tracking expert by any stretch. Could it be black bear? They have 5 toes.

From @Aaron N
"So based on the logic here, lions, leopards, and cheetahs should also never be reintroduced to their historical ranges? Predators are part of a healthy eco-system whether it’s convenient for us or not."

While I don't have first hand experience with the Wolf introduction in the US it seems to make sense to not do so with so many humans living there & not introduce a larger subspecies that may have annihilated the small numbers of indigenous Wolves (and smaller, naive prey) from the US.

But yes it is not a good idea to introduce those Cats (and Dogs) to any where there is already a large human population & unfortunately that is near every where in these times !

Where I worked in the Limpopo, Cheetah were released many times, not really the right habitat (lots of thorns) & mostly private Ranches & Hunting Lodges so expensive eating there & already far far too many Leopards (very small quota) we can't shoot & lots of Hyena, that contrary to popular belief kill/eat the shit out of the place.

Last couple of years I see not far from town they have released/introduced Wild Dog, this is super crazy & wasting everybody's time & money, I think these are even worse than Wolves once they get going ?

PS never never introduce Leopards any where !!!

Last edited:
This nation’s wildlife organizations as well as the forest service has turned its management plans over to public opinion and the ignorance that embodies. Seriously, if that’s how we are going to operate why have all these biologists and forestry people running around in $130 SUV’s?

One of the primary causes of the problem is the concentration of voters in the major urban/suburban areas. That and their desire to impose their crazy ideas on the rural population. I often wonder whether it would be possible for farmers to negotiate their sales contracts such that their farm produce couldn't be supplied to the major cities, only to rural populations, interstate consumers and export.

Maybe when the supermarket shelves are empty, some of these numpties will realise that they can only eat because of farmers.

So based on the logic here, lions, leopards, and cheetahs should also never be reintroduced to their historical ranges? Predators are part of a healthy eco-system whether it’s convenient for us or not.

I cannot afford to own a cattle or poultry farm.
But like so many other blue collar workers, I can afford to hunt deer, elk, moose, birds and rabbits where I live, plus the occasional Africa hunting trip.
Therefore, I do not appreciate the millions of city folk screeching for enhancing apex predator numbers, here where I live and in Africa as well.

It is doubly offensive to me when I consider that my already brutally high taxes are spent on this nonsense, here where I live.
Again, I likely will never be able to afford a working farm however. if somehow I was a livestock or poultry farmer, here or anywhere on earth, this whole crybaby concept of enhancing large predator populations would more than likely inspire me to become an outlaw, in order to protect my investment.

Imagine whats going to happen when a pack of 8-10 mature wolves snatch up Paris Hiltons goldendoodle while its taking an evening pee outside her $3.5M villa in Aspen before everyone goes to bed one night.. and begins eating it in front of her..
I sure hope that someone gets a video of this and posts it on AH, that and the peoples reaction. Now that would be priceless.

I would love to hear from a Colorado wildlife biologist, who is not a preservationist.

Maybe there aren't any left.

At least the Southeast, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana still have a few...

I'm not a tracking expert by any stretch. Could it be black bear? They have 5 toes.
Not a bear. Following the tracks you could see where paws landed on paw tracks creating the "5th" toe. I've seen a lot of bear track. Even on a smaller bear there is a wider pad on the front, with an almost human looking pad on the back. The nails also show with a marked gap from the pad to the nail.

This might be easier-
bear track
1703029632177.png

Sorry for the not so great pics. The toenails were definitely visible in person. My son and I spent a bit of time inspecting and even trailing for a ways to find definitive prints. When I first saw them, my initial thought was lion, but then I saw the toenails and elongation.

2 paws hitting the same place. Notice the "extra" toe?

“Registering” as my Southern African brethren would call that occurs with lots of critters. Cats really do it well.
Funny, how wild stuff knows it makes less noise to step in the same
Place twice.
I trust you saw nails. No ways it’s a cat if the nails were out.

I would love to hear from a Colorado wildlife biologist, who is not a preservationist.

Maybe there aren't any left.

At least the Southeast, Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana still have a few...
The CPW released the information that we (CO) already had at least a couple established packs right before the ballot. That threw a bit of a wrinkle into the wolf huggers plans, but didn't stop the reintroduction. It should allow better management sooner than the other states suffering this stupidity have been able to accomplish; we'll see.
One of the issues has been judges issuing injunctions and stopping hunting seasons even when it was proven the numbers had greatly exceeded the "target" number. There are specific numbers listed in the CO plan. With the current admin in this state, they probably won't push to allow proper management even after those numbers are reached. Best method for those living in areas affected will be the 3Ss. I would wager quite a few get "mistaken" for coyotes.

From @Aaron N
"So based on the logic here, lions, leopards, and cheetahs should also never be reintroduced to their historical ranges? Predators are part of a healthy eco-system whether it’s convenient for us or not."

While I don't have first hand experience with the Wolf introduction in the US it seems to make sense to not do so with so many humans living there & not introduce a larger subspecies that may have annihilated the small numbers of indigenous Wolves (and smaller, naive prey) from the US.

But yes it is not a good idea to introduce those Cats (and Dogs) to any where there is already a large human population & unfortunately that is near every where in these times !

Where I worked in the Limpopo, Cheetah were released many times, not really the right habitat (lots of thorns) & mostly private Ranches & Hunting Lodges so expensive eating there & already far far too many Leopards (very small quota) we can't shoot & lots of Hyena, that contrary to popular belief kill/eat the shit out of the place.

Last couple of years I see not far from town they have released/introduced Wild Dog, this is super crazy & wasting everybody's time & money, I think these are even worse than Wolves once they get going ?

PS never never introduce Leopards any where !!!
Could I get a permit to introduce leopards? How about Washington DC?

I've always said that about CA. State flag has a grizzly on it and is the staye animal but the last one seen was 1920 or so I believe. I hiked those mts end to end. Plenty of room for grizzlies.
Actually, the last known California Grizzly was killed raiding a beehive in Modjeska Canyon, Orange County (Southern Ca.) in 1940. I had a photo of the old newspaper article somewhere. The bear looked about the size of a large black bear.

Reactions: CJW
Without reviewing, did I read $15K rancher reimbursement for each cow eaten by a wolf? How much McDonald’s payin’ for cows these days? I’m thinking may be an angle here….

Without reviewing, did I read $15K rancher reimbursement for each cow eaten by a wolf? How much McDonald’s payin’ for cows these days? I’m thinking may be an angle here….
Up to $15k. Value of the cow and all the projected offspring. Paid with my tax dollars.

Cows can get expensive when you figure in the number of calfs they can have.

You are more than likely eating 2 or 3 year old steers at any of the burger joints.

The North American Cheetah was present here in the West during the last Little Ice Age period. That's why Pronghorn learned to run 60+MPH. Interesting why they all died off yet the Pronghorn flourished? My theory is that the snow became too deep for the cheetah to catch their prey and/or disease killed them off? Anyway, that cheetah species was able to withstand the brutal cold at that time.

Cows can get expensive when you figure in the number of calfs they can have.

You are more than likely eating 2 or 3 year old steers at any of the burger joints.
Or the old bull that needed to go, or the barren cows at the end of their useful life, lol

Up to $15k. Value of the cow and all the projected offspring. Paid with my tax dollars.
Actually, Colorado taxpayers pay NOTHING for the reintroduction of the wolves here OR the depredation payments to ranchers. It ALL come from the DOW budget which is funded by the hunters and fishermen in the state, most of which didn't support the wolf reintroduction in the first place. Perfect!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Halazi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?