Why no love for the .358 Win?

Seems to be same model you have with the long barrel.

Carbine held by gent in pickelhaube is not a Schoenauer, IIRC it's an M1892.

Mine (Grand - Dad's) is a Mannlicher Schoenauer M1910 Take Down Model.
MS ST39 50 Mannlicher Schoenauer 02.jpg

I will be using my .358 BLR on Black Bear this fall in Michigan and in May in Saskatchewan
It drops whitetail in their tracks when I shoulder shoot them (which I do with bucks so they don't run off the property and die)

The .358 is very under appreciated
Good news!! Just found a good supply of North Fork .358 cal. bullets in 225grn weight. Working up loads now. Very good results so far with groups well under 1 MOA. Also have some 200grn pills to work with. The North Forks are very good. Hope to try them on feral pigs when I get back from Namibia next month..

Just not much to love about that caliber, 35 has never been very popular in the USA, 358 is slow and brush calibers per say are a joke, the 35 Whelen being an exception I suggest...the 30-06 reigns in the East, west north and South and resale effects 358s..all that and its a decent caliber or shoud I say orphan..

Just not much to love about that caliber, 35 has never been very popular in the USA, 358 is slow and brush calibers per say are a joke, the 35 Whelen being an exception I suggest...the 30-06 reigns in the East, west north and South and resale effects 358s..all that and its a decent caliber or shoud I say orphan..
The .35 Remington was extremely popular in Remington model 8/81s and Marlin lever guns. My dad was a huge fan of the .358 Win though it never really caught on.

Modern powders give the 358 a real boost in velocity, out of the brush cartridge category. Using Ramshot TAC, I am getting around 2600 fps with a 200gr TTSX, whcih is similar velocity to a 180 in a 308, although the BC and SD of the 358 bullet are obviously lower. Out to 500 yards, the ballistics if the 200 TTSX are virtually identical to my 35 Whelen AI shooting a 250 Speer SP at 2660 fps and 6 inches lower at 500 than a 180 out of 30-06.

Sorry to disagree with you sir. The .358 Winchester is a sadly overlooked round. The pressures were held down on purpose as some gun writing hacks back in the day said it had horrible recoil. Really? while in the same breath saying the 300 Win Mag was a comfortable round to shoot. It doesn't have any more recoil than a 30-06 with the same weight bullet. Comparing against FACTORY loads in the 35 Whelen, with careful hand loading, you can come within 100fps with the 358. I've used it on game in Africa up to Eland. It preforms all out of convention and what the paper ballistics says it should. I know of one guide in Alaska who carries one for brown bear and has used it to good effect. Short range/brush round? With 180grn bullets you can near match 30=06 velocities. Anyone want to call the 30-06 a brush round? I'll keep shooting my 358 and never feel under gunned. It's one of my favorite medium bore rounds.

I ordered a custom 358 Win about 20 years ago because I wanted a handy with short barrel gun for everydays business. I really wondered why so many were talking bad about that actually good looking compact cartridge shooting a 200 grain bullet on 2600 fps with 358 dia. What the hell could be wrong with those parameters?

My experience is, there is nothing wrong with that cartridge, on the contrary it is my favorite rifle on hog and deer. Heres more to look at: It fits standard action, uses standard brass, loads „easy to get“ and afordable premium bullets, takes medium gun powders with good results, doesnt waste much meat because of mint hämatomes, is easy on recoil and kills fast and successfull anything around here You shoot at. Anybody‚s having trouble with that wonderfull mini big bore (which is not too far away from 9,3 and .375) should overthink his doing! If one looks for an allday universal rifle for „normal“ hunting here in Europe You will do fine with this cartridge!
Waidmanns Heil

I ordered a custom 358 Win about 20 years ago because I wanted a handy with short barrel gun for everydays business. I really wondered why so many were talking bad about that actually good looking compact cartridge shooting a 200 grain bullet on 2600 fps with 358 dia. What the hell could be wrong with those parameters?

My experience is, there is nothing wrong with that cartridge, on the contrary it is my favorite rifle on hog and deer. Heres more to look at: It fits standard action, uses standard brass, loads „easy to get“ and afordable premium bullets, takes medium gun powders with good results, doesnt waste much meat because of mint hämatomes, is easy on recoil and kills fast and successfull anything around here You shoot at. Anybody‚s having trouble with that wonderfull mini big bore (which is not too far away from 9,3 and .375) should overthink his doing! If one looks for an allday universal rifle for „normal“ hunting here in Europe You will do fine with this cartridge!
Waidmanns Heil
Amen brother Rosch. I've always been of the opinion that the 358 would be an outstanding driven boar hunt rifle. Quick cycling short action that hits like Thor's hammer!! Couldn't have said it better. All the best to you and many great hunts to come.

I had a Browning BLR in 358, ammo and brass were hard to find so traded for something else.

I fill that niche now with a 9.3x62, but there is nothing wrong with a 358 if that’s what you want.

I never hunted with the 358 but have successfully hunted with the 35 Remington and 350 Remington magnum so I have a pretty good feel for what they can do.

I prefer the 308 in short action bolt actions because ammo, bullets,and cases are everywhere.

That’s why I took a 308 to Africa last year, I knew I could get ammo for it just about anywhere.

When I go back, I’m taking a 9.3x62 for eland, but could certainly make a 358, 350 mag, or 35 Whelen work as well.

You will find with enough questioning, that most who bad mouth it have never owned and hunted with one. Once prejudice sets in (started by gun rag writers who never owned or hunted with one) it is awfully hard to change.

You will find with enough questioning, that most who bad mouth it have never owned and hunted with one. Once prejudice sets in (started by gun rag writers who never owned or hunted with one) it is awfully hard to change.
Yes….that seems the real trouble….once bad mouthing started, all others follow the bloodtrail unproven! Woodcartridge? Yes, You can use the 358 Win in woods or brush with great success…….but not only!
I like this little bammer without any Magnum ambitions very much and will use it for all my daily needs but never give it away. I load those 200 grainer Softpoint RN from Sierra with H4895, which do very well on all my hunts. I shoot any distance from 50 to 200 yards, further out there is not much business for any of us anyway!
Results are in my world allways formidable.
Besides, I do own a 9,3x62 as well, but it is just too much for my taste and my hunting grounds around here. Lots of german hunters use it here on wild boar.
But in my understanding its too dangerous for the area behind the shot when more than 70 % of the 286 grain energy leaves the animal farside in search for new targets. Those new monotype bullets with solid ambitions multiply that danger too. You remember, Germany is heavy populated and a ricochet could produce a hell of a lot serious trouble.
The 9,3 with stout bullets fits in my opinion great to Afrika for the big antelopes best acompanied by my 425 or 458 for the serious stuff.
The 358 Winni stays my favorite firestick around here ;))))

I share your admiration of 200 grain 35 caliber bullets.

I have used a 35 Remington for a woods cartridge with 200 grain bullets. Very effective.

Also used a Ruger in 350 Remington with 200 grain bullets. I was hunting on the banks of a large river and a wounded deer that made it to the river was impossible to recover.

I never saw an animal take a step toward that river.

So for hunting where you must anchor game quickly, your 358 makes perfect sense.

Also, Lapua makes a 185 grain hollow point for the 9.3 x 62 that works great on deer and hogs if you want a lighter bullet option.

lso, Lapua makes a 185 grain hollow point for the 9.3 x 62 that works great on deer and hogs if you want a lighter bullet option.
Yeah, I‘m sort of crumpy old man, who buys his underwear in the same old fashioned shop for many years now! New things first must do good for me before I even consider them as excisting!
Same with my gunnery! Sure, I could load lighter bullets into the 9,3, but why should I?
My 9,3 gets only 286 grain premium bullets and done I am!
Thats what she‘s made for!
The 358 Win does get only 200 grain Sierras and done I am!
When I grab one of my guns there is only one load in it! No interchange, no problem, no experimenting, no playing around at the range, no shelfs full of different opened bullet and powder cans, staying around and staring @ me!

Beside this, I use only one gun powder (H4895) for for all my 12 different guns! Every gun has its load and just one bullet, thats it.
My storage has about 500 bullets per dia and type, about 5 cans of powder and when any of those are finished I go buy another bulk same type same Production Number!
You should know I like it easy!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KandyWaldo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SRS 2024 wrote on kesha's profile.
Hi there
Please contact us on sharisaf@yahoo.com

We have buffalo available at very good prices.

Kind regards
SRS
SRS 2024 wrote on crossone's profile.
Hi there

Shangani River Safaris can offer you a Buffalo hunt.

Please email us on sharisaf@yahoo.com.
Thank you.
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.