Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

The 25-06 vs the 6.5 CM. Interesting. Interesting enough that I did a ballistic comparison.

I just reviewed the Nosler "published" load data and bounced that information off my ballistic calculator. Of course, we know that, as handloaders, can push the bullets faster than published data, but since we can do it for both cartridges, I just went with the published data.

I used the Partition, since it is the heaviest 25-06 offering and you could get a Partition bullet in 6.5. At least this keeps the bullets the same...

The 25-06 pushed the 120gr PT at around 3000fps, unless your rifle liked Retumbo. Retumbo kind of stood out as an outlier from the other powders.

The 6.5CM pushed a 140gr PT at 2700; there were several powders that did this but there was no "hot-rod" outlier like Retumbo.

The result at 200yds:
25-06: 1 MOA windage / 1708 ft-lbs
6.5CM: 1 MOA windage / 1711 ft-lbs

At 300yds:
25-06: 2.2 MOA Drop; 4.2 MOA windage / 1423 ft-lbs
6.5CM: 2.6 MOA Drop; 3.9 MOA windage / 1472 ft-lbs

Interestingly, Nosler also makes a 6.5mm 150gr ABLR that can be pushed at 2690ish. I don't have the ballistic calculations for that, but it would push the CM substantially higher.
@Bill J H
Watch Ron Spomers video on the 25-06 versus the 6.5 creede. Very interesting.
Bob

I’m sorry I started this diversion. If I were to buy a creedmore 6.5 it would be it takes full advantage of the newer , more aerodynamic bullets.
Every other 6,5mm cartridge does the same.

HWL

@cajunchefray
If'n I ever did go fer a 6.5 it would bet the unloved much maligned 264 Winchester magnum on a Savage 110 action and a 26" barrel.
Yeah I know I like to over do things
Bob
Just saying
My 264 WinMag has taken game all over Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming…
Years back my nephew took hid first Deer, a Couse Deer, at 510 yards! The Manbun can never compete against a 264 WinMag!!!

Years back my nephew took hid first Deer, a Couse Deer, at 510 yards! The Manbun can never compete against a 264 WinMag!!!

No way it can, now we can compare your 264 WinMag with a 6.5PRC. We will have a better conversation.

@CZDiesel
I did think of necking the 264 down to 257 but it would be very hard on barrels. A nice 1:8 or 1:9 twist for the new 25 cal 135 grainers would be an interesting proposal.
Bob

Oops, I just bought another 6.5 Manbun.

My LGS had a Savage Axis for $225.

I'm not a big Savage Axis fan, but this one had a Zeiss on it!

Anyone need a fine rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore? (scope not included)

Well, I would have to admit, it must be an EFFICIENT cartridge to get the velocities that are claimed...that is, if it does indeed get them.
Does it indeed kick less than a 7x57? That is pretty light.

Does it indeed kick less than a 7x57? That is pretty light.
Whatever a cartridge you take into consideration, there is no recoil below a 8x68S.....

HWL

Now you have made me go and get a Dakota 25.06 rem. Just could not help myself .

I am curious, I wonder just how many of the 6.5 Creedmoore fans bought it because a 6.5X55 wasn't readily available and the Creedmoore was?
I will be first to raise my hand, I wanted a 6.5X55, and none were available and if you found one it was out of my price range.
PLEASE let's not get into the love/hate discussions. I am curious, and bet I'm not the only one who bought it because it was readily available and the 6.5X55 wasn't.
Thanks!
@F. Vaccaro - is the 6.5 Creedmoore the KIM KARDASHIAN of rifles? Ie: Over Expsoed, over publicized, over talked about, and Over rated? Is there anyone left that does want to sleep with it (or hasn’t)?? …..although the 6.5 Creedmoore usually has a smaller butt

Last edited:
I don't currently shoot a 6.5 CM but I did find it fun to load and shoot when I owned one. I prefer my 308 for the ranges I hunt deer.

However, to call it un-American is unfair. It is a true American success story. It was designed by Hornady with the help of Creedmoor Sports and high level long range competitors in the USA - basically optimizing the .260 for long range competition. Hornady's marketing was genius and it's success has exceeded all expectations.

It's a nice step up from 243 for those looking for a lower recoil deer rifle - and it's brought many new bolt action rifle shooters into the sport - both target shooting and hunting.
We should probably stop making fun of it.

I purchased a Weatherby Camilla in 6.5 creedmoor for the wife. Several years later it has reliable taken elk with one shot every season. We do have a self imposed distance limit of around 200-250 yards. Last year her 120gr. Barnes TTSX blew through both scapulas at 220yds. dropping the cow instantly.
IMG_0380.jpeg

Why ? As far as I remember, I always wanted a 6.5 mm in my gun safe. It's a "small" diameter, but not too small. Well before the arrival of the 6.5 Creedmoor, this diameter was appreciated in the old Europe and it allows to hunt everything.
My first idea was the good old 6.5x57, that was quite popular in the past and also because in my country, the 6.5x55 SE was forbidden till 2013.
When the law changed, I was more interested by the 6.5x55Se that was also more easy to find, because the 6.5x57 seems to become more and more uncommon nowadays.
But in 2022, I decided to purchase a 6.5 Creedmoor because ammunitions are even more common in my country, as well as in Namibia, than the 6.5x55, and same thing for cases.

It's not the ultimate caliber but I can't complain about it. It always did the job with the right bullet even on plains game.

I did not....
I hunted with 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6,5x55 SE, 6,5x57, 6,5x65, 6,5x68.
To date, I could not figure out, what the CM could do better.
For me, it's nothing but another dead American cartridge.
Future will tell..

HWL

I did not....
I hunted with 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer, 6,5x55 SE, 6,5x57, 6,5x65, 6,5x68.
To date, I could not figure out, what the CM could do better.
For me, it's nothing but another dead American cartridge.
Future will tell..

HWL

Just a comment, but It doesn’t do anything hunting related, “better”.

However, if you add up all of the available ammo for every other cartridge in 6.5, that number won’t be even half of the available 6.5 Creedmoor ammunition.

Probably 10% of available 6.5 rifles are not Creedmoor.

I have the Creedmoor and a Swede, and trying my best to not get into the 6.5x47 Lapua just because I want the rifle, which is a rechambered Sako Riihimaki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArnoldoCor

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?