Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

Thanks most of you. I'm sick of the manbun responses, & wonder how many of those manbun responders actually have shot one?
Running one ctg down to prove yours is better is a pretty childish approach.
If I offend someone, oh well!

I ended up with mine simply because the rifle I wanted could only be found in that chambering. I’ve always wanted one of the older Weatherby MkV Outfitter rifles from their custom shop. I happened to come across one that was NIB at a good price. It was in 6.5 CM, so that’s what I got. Awesome rifle, but I’d also have bought it if it had been a .270 or .30-06, etc.

I bought one because I wanted to:
1) Build a new rifle in a caliber I did not have
2) Build a rifle using an action and a chassis I wanted to try (short action with a DBM)
3) Build a light rifle with low recoil and low blast
4) Try a carbon-wrapped barrel
5) See what all the fuss is about

I was one of those "haters" hating 6.5CM just because my 6.5x55 could do everything the CM can do and more and because of the hype. But I ended up with what I wanted and here are the pros and cons of my experiment so far:

PROS:
1) Rifle/cartridge combo is precise
2) It is also light, yet does not kick and the blast is not bad even with 20" barrel
3) Carbon is definitely light and cool looking and feels good to touch
4) Cartridges fit in the magazine with some room still left for copper bullet use
5) Brass and loaded ammo is actually plentiful and cheap (for now), rivaling that of .308
6) The cartridge will replace my 6.5x55 for silhouette shooting as I use short action for the Swede since I single-load, but with CM I can use a magazine
7) It can and will hunt

CONS:
1) Buyer's remorse - all that carbon and custom action cost me an arm and a leg and in the end I have an expensive rifle I still may not hunt much (good coyote and deer rifle - and as shown above even more) only because I like my 7x57
2) While originally built for plinking at the range or as Hunter Class silhouette rifle, it will serve better as a hunting rifle than silhouette one. So as a competition rifle goes - fail. But that was almost expected given the light barrel to begin with.
3) Even with TriggerTech trigger, I do not like it as a Hunter Class silhouette rifle (barrel is too light and short, the trigger not as good as others when set for "heavy" 2+lbs.
4) Yet another caliber in my collection until 6.5x55 is retired which may be a while
5) Kind of like .308 (not that there is anything wrong with .308) - many other cartridges do the same or better and can be just as cool if not cooler, so only the brass/ammo availability gives it the edge
6) I still don't like short action no matter what I build or have built on them
7) I have yet another rifle to choose from when going hunting (exhausting task for an idiot who can't decide on anything)

In the end, I should have just chambered another regular steel 6.5 barrel on my Silhouette rifle to replace 6.5x55 and be done with it. But hey, I do have one more cool rifle and I'm now growing hair to try that manbun (well maybe I won't go quite that far). Overall nothing wrong with the cartridge after all, and I'm glad I now know from personal experience at the range. Time in the woods will tell me even more but I like what I see above. If my buddy can take elk with 25-06 and somebody's kid a giraffe and eland with 6.5CM, I'm looking forward to using it on deer and maybe some elk.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised, growing to like it and it does make for a nice, light yet precise setup.

Last edited:
I grew up hunting with a 6.5x57.
I have been hunting larger game (Kudu, Gemsbuck) with a 375H&H with 230gr bullets @2950fps, but needed a smaller rifle for Springbuck and Bleshbuck hunts, with shots over 300m. I wanted a 6.5x55 and I wanted a "tupperware" gun, and then i wanted the Mauser M18 Savanna. the Savanna was not produced in x55, and after 4 years waiting, i pulled the trigger on the 6.5 Creed, but I am stil waiting for my licence. I am not a Creed fan, but dont hate it, but love the 6.5 bullet., so it should not really matter.

But luckily i will be able to say without lying that I shoot a 6.5 MAUSER, i wil just leave the Creed part out.

The .243 was the kid gun of my youth. Dads bought a .243 to take their kids hunting in Montana. The kid would then graduate to a larger caliber of his/her choosing.

The 6.5CM takes that role today. It is probably the most approachable hunting caliber that is available everywhere. I’ll say that the 6.5 seems to work better than the .243, so while I get your humor, it is misplaced. I’d say about any hunter can become a good shot with one of these two.

I do recall one family that used a .30-06 as the starter gun for 12 year olds. That was not a wise decision.

First rifle I ever shot was a 30-06. Still have it to this day!! It does seem to recoil less today than I remember as a kid. ;)

I just bought a 6.5 and I haven’t even hadn’t a chance to take it out yet because of the weather. It’s just starting to cool down where I live.

I bought one because I wanted a Beretta BRX1 and found a good deal on one in 6.5 CM but I ordered a 300 WM barrel for it so I may never use the creedmore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eggheadmarketers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]