Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

6.5x55mm user from way back. Gave it to my nephew as a graduation gift for completing putting himself through college. He'd always liked that rifle.

When the CM was announced, I took a look at the SAAMI spec's and saw it was basically the Swede Improved. When the local range decided to start up a factory-class competition, I bought a first-generation Ruger RPR in 6.5 CM and started handloading 120's and 140's for the matches. Too dang much fun.

It was only much, much later I finally got around to buying the CM in a hunting rifle and loaded 143's for cow elk freezer filling.

Now my son and his buddies all own CM's and shoot the cheapest factory ammo they can find because they can take their targets home and brag about 'em.

It's just a fun little cartrige.

Like @Tgood1, I have a .260 Rem Ackley and absolutely love it. Cleaned up a wounded pronghorn at over 700 yards two years ago. Can’t see a reason for a Creedmore.

I respect it for what it is, and its development has probably been a positive thing in the US deer hunting world (helping to cure magnum-itis), but there’s nothing magical about it.

So,

I waited a while after this round came out to consider it. A good friend, gunsmith, and established shooter recommended it. He took me out to test a few new rifles, and I was impressed. So I built the 1st bolt gun. Now have 3.

Bottom line, it works.

Ammo is available in many variations, it's reasonable, and it's works in the real world, not just on paper targets.

You don't have to like it, buy one or endorse it, but the reality is there.

So I just have to say it! The Black Rifle community has damn near driven the Brown rifle community into extinction!
I hate it for that!!!
Do I own and enjoy black rifles? Yes I do!
Do I hate that they and cartridges like the creedmore have pushed everything else aside? YES!!!
And the fact, FACT is the creedmore is nowhere near a long range cartridge! Is is a standard medium range cartridge for medium game! That’s it!
Anyone want to put a creedmore up against serious long range cartridges like the 264 WinMag, 7STW, or 26 Nosler?
No I don’t think so!
I grew up hunting Couse and desert Mule Deer outside of Tucson Arizona and at long range!
Sorry to offend but the creedmore is a joke that is for the black rifle community! They can have it!

I bought one for a female friend.

Why? It was actually the rifle and price more than the caliber: a Mossberg Patriot in Serenity camo. She likes teal. I got it for a great price. It just happened to be in 6.5 Creedmoor.

It’s baffling to me that it was ever even promoted as the 260 Remington seriously predated it, uses the same parent cartridge, and has bot more case capacity and terminal performance…

The 6.5x47 Lapua predates it as well. It’s also considered a very accurate long range cartridge.

I bought one to try shooting plates at distance, and it has turned into my “predator” rifle. I wanted an inexpensive bolt gun so I got the Ruger American Predator with the Magpul stock. I wanted the 7mm-08 but it was not threaded. It’s also the only plastic stocked bolt gun I own.

I like my Swede to hunt with though.

My dad picked up a Sako Riihimaki that I want, but some joker rebarreled it to 6.5x47 Lapua. I wouldn’t even know what to do with that. I sure don’t need another .257 or .264 bore.

@CraigV You can thumbs down me all you want? And this is not personal as I bet we could be great friends!
But there is nothing that a creedmore can do that a 6.5x55, 260 REM, or 7mm-08 does doesn’t do better!
And it’s laughable to think it’s a large game or serious long range round…
Again, nothing personal but facts are facts…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimKayaw

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available