Why did you buy a 6.5 Creedmoore?

F. Vaccaro

AH fanatic
Reaction score
I am curious, I wonder just how many of the 6.5 Creedmoore fans bought it because a 6.5X55 wasn't readily available and the Creedmoore was?
I will be first to raise my hand, I wanted a 6.5X55, and none were available and if you found one it was out of my price range.
PLEASE let's not get into the love/hate discussions. I am curious, and bet I'm not the only one who bought it because it was readily available and the 6.5X55 wasn't.
Thanks!

I do not own one, but I would venture to propose:

For some:
1) great long range match cartridge (very legitimate);​
2) great low recoil, mid-range, medium game hunting cartridge, and OK heavy game short range cartridge (with heavy bullet) i.e. modern iteration of the 6.5x54 Mannlicher, 6.5x55 Swede, 6.5x57 Mauser, etc. (very legitimate);​
For a lot more:
3) intensive Hornady marketing (both very legitimate for the above, and a lot less legitimate because its suggested use on elk should be clarified as only a close range affair);​
4) slick big-box retailers salesmanship (often frankly illegitimate because the cartridge cannot deliver on game at long range the results it delivers on paper, and this "detail" generally flies way outside the envelop of the usual gun-counter clerk);​
5) fashion;​
6) deplorable current confusion between hunting and game-sniping;​
etc.​

Great paper puncher, but indeed no better on game than the Swede (which is no faint praise when used appropriately), or in modern days the unappreciated .260 Rem which likely was just a bit too early for its time and which would have likely fared better with a metric designation.

Last edited:
Because I considered it a modern version of the 6.5x55 (and still do). I was already a fan of, and own several 6.5x55 military mausers.

Because I was growing my hair out to make a stylish man bunn and needed a proper rifle to accessorize the look;)

For me, it was a case of @One Day... 's point 1.

I wanted a Precision Rifle in a suitable mid-caliber cartridge.

That cartridge needed to be relatively low recoil, but still supersonic out to 1200yds, which is as far as I could expect to shoot at my range.

It also needed to be readily available in the rifles I was looking at (a Tikka TacA1 primarily) and have readily available match grade components. It should also be cheap to make as a reloader and relatively easy on barrels as round counts were reasonably high.

That narrowed it down to .308win, or 6.5CM. The 6.5 has a marginally better BC, marginally less recoil, better bullet availability, and is a lot easier to keep supersonic to 1200yds, so that was that.

6.5x55 was not even in consideration, although 7mmRM or 6.5PRC might have been.

I was very happy with the cartridge to be honest. Marketing aside, it's not some magical cartridge that does everything amazingly, nor is it intrinsically any better than any other 6.5 for game, but for my application it was a very good fit.

I am curious, I wonder just how many of the 6.5 Creedmoore fans bought it because a 6.5X55 wasn't readily available and the Creedmoore was?
I will be first to raise my hand, I wanted a 6.5X55, and none were available and if you found one it was out of my price range.
PLEASE let's not get into the love/hate discussions. I am curious, and bet I'm not the only one who bought it because it was readily available and the 6.5X55 wasn't.
Thanks!
Just because all the rage and the BC. The 6.5 Creedmore is like anything Taylor Swift touches right now. People are going to buy it but a year from now you ask yourself why.

I own 4 6.5 Creedmoor rifles. 2 are camp guns and 2 are personal tack drivers. Lots more companies and people loading for the Creedmoor over the 6.5 x 55.

HH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgil Whitehead

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available