Why Buy A Blaser K95?

Toby, Sounds like we are on a similar path. I became intrigued with the K95 earlier this year and decided on 308 as an all-around cartridge. A rimmed cartridge would be easier to remove but a quick gun search at the time didn’t bring any up I was willing to pay. Especially for for a rifle I didn’t know if I was going to like once out in the field.

The 308 removes easily enough, my thought was this is a single shot and it’s up to me the rifleman to ensure placement of the shot.

As soon as I opened the Blaser case at the gun counter, I drew a crowd as many have never seen a K95. Fit and finish are superb all around and the trigger is excellent.

I had some old reloads, more than 25 years old, my Father had put together for a Savage Model 99 using RL15 and 150gr Partitions. I also had an old old box of Remington 150gr round nose core loks that may have been older than the reloads. Off to the range after installing a Leica scope in the Blaser saddle mount and a few shots later the scope was dialed in and I sent two rounds down range, both touching 1.5inches high and clocking 2800 fps with the Garmin, perfect! The Remington 150 gr rounds were anemic at 2490fps and didn’t group well. The light K95 handled the recoil surprisingly well.

Was able to hunt the last few days of Alabama deer with the rifle but couldn’t find a buck old enough for my liking, and the chest freezer was already plum full.

I have no qualms putting a ding or scratch hauling it up into a climber and hunted with it in the rain.

View attachment 591259

Good luck on your decision, I’m thinking hard about gettting a second barrel in 6XC. From the information I can find, it’s the only 6mm Blaser chambering with a fast enough twist, 1-8, to launch the heavier high BC bullets.

The K95 is going to remain and will be in the field as much as possible!
You will like the 6XC, in my comp rifle. I'm getting 3000fps with a 115 Dtac.

I agree, these rifles are incredibly cool with fantastic handling qualities. I just got home from the IWA Show in Germany where I made a point to look at all of the Kipplaufs. Blaser, Merkel and Krieghoff all offer them and the designs seem very similar. I'm currently going through the gear room looking for things to sell so I can buy one!

I agree, these rifles are incredibly cool with fantastic handling qualities. I just got home from the IWA Show in Germany where I made a point to look at all of the Kipplaufs. Blaser, Merkel and Krieghoff all offer them and the designs seem very similar. I'm currently going through the gear room looking for things to sell so I can buy one!
Tango, how would you rate any of those designs against each other? Any standouts?

Surprisingly, they all appeared to be the same basic action concept. Scope mounts and iron sights differed, but the actions looked very similar. All of the booths were very busy and it was tough to find someone comfortable with English to discuss the details. The Krieghoffs were by far the most lavishly finished and exotic looking with the highest grade wood and engraving. The fit and finish were incredible, no surprise. Their booth was so busy that I couldn't get to anyone who knew the rifles and spoke English. I sort of disregarded them as they're clearly beyond my budget. The Blasers were great and it looks like you could order a variety of grades, engraving and a choice of standard barrel/fore-end or stuzten/mannlicher styles. Very nice. The Merkel seems to be the "standard" or most basic of the three though it appeared you could order whatever types of engraving and wood grade you want. Their standard model (matte black metal, decent wood and iron sights) had a price of 4300 Euro before VAT. All of the brands had the super cool sliding safety/cocking lever that was magnificent to operate. Truly German precision. The Kipplaufs and the shotguns manufacturers sell in Europe made me very envious.

Unless something has changed really recently the Krieghoff Hubertus does not have the same locking system as Blaser and Merkel does. It is also made of steel rather then alloy and thus heavier which actually improves its shooting qualities.

It is easier to shot with a 2,7 kg Krieghoff then a 2,2 kg Merkel or 2,3 kg Blaser. The former is less whippy etc. Feels more like a rifle then a toy.

7x65R - no contest.

IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3594.jpeg
IMG_3593.jpeg

@TOBY458
The venerable 30-30 would make a nice available/affordable (and rimmed) caliber…..if offered in the K95.
I don’t think they make it in 30/30. If I were going with a rimmed cartridge, I’m thinking either 7x57r or 7x65r. I do understand the want for a rimmed cartridge in this rifle, but I haven’t heard of any real issues with rimless cartridges, other than they are a little harder to pull out of the chamber. So I’m weighing my options between a readily available caliber, vs a reloading only proposition. Sure you can buy cheap S&B ammo for the two rimmed cartridges I mentioned, but that’s about all I’m seeing for sale in the states.

I do hunt with a K77, predecessor of the K95, same action but different scope mount bases.
Two barrels, .308 Winchester and .243 Winchester, never had a problem with a rimless cartridge.

HWL

My wife has a K95 which she loves, it is very accurate and fantastic to carry.

Hers is 7x57r and has a lightweight moderator so the recoil is very manageable.

Has anyone here tried a kipplauf in 9.3x74r with a moderator? I would be interested to know how comfortable it is to shoot?

Also, how do you feel with using it in dangerous game areas? I suppose not really an issue if you are accompanied by a PH.

With a 9.3x74R if you can shoot and right bullet you are as safe as a baby in a crib.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fsdf5356

Latest profile posts

thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?
1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe