Why avoid Hornady DG bullets and ammunition?

Being an old fart, I remember when interlock came out and it was not as good as the Remington CoreLokt that preceded it by many years. There are too many good choices out there now that are just plain better.

Being an old fart, I remember when interlock came out and it was not as good as the Remington CoreLokt that preceded it by many years. There are too many good choices out there now that are just plain better.

In some applications no doubt...in others not so much. Some of you seem to be struggling with the fact that no one bullet does everything perfectly. You need to define the metric before deciding what is better or worse.

Hi @sheephunterab
I think what we may have here is a failure to communicate. Pretty damn funny after how many pages now? :)
So, speaking only for myself, but viewing the discussion broadly and considering others comments here, you seem to be of the opinion that none of us get it. That you have a superior understanding of ballistics and we're just a bunch of rubes. I don't intend that maliciously or in an insulting manner, but when you suggest that we have inferior understanding to your own, it is obvious you have not tried to understand or acknowledge another point of view. I'm not sure, but I may also suffer from that affliction at times. If I am guilty of that in this instance, then I apologize. I actually agree with some of the things you have posted in a broader context. I just have a different expectation of a DG bullet.
Some of you seem to be struggling with the fact that no one bullet does everything perfectly.
Thus making them shine when you are shooting around 150 yards. You seems to be confusing muzzle velocity with impact velocity. The 416 is a very apt 150 yard cartridge if I'm not mistaken.
I happen to agree with you that no one bullet does everything perfectly, which is why I don't use an A-Frame or Solid for everything. In my .375 I generally choose an Accubond for general PG hunting or lion. I shot my lion 2 years ago with a 300 gr Accubond along with a bunch of PG. Worked great. I would probably opt for an A-Frame if I were pursuing Buff and PG. I would also probably choose a Woodleigh solid or something similar for Ele and maybe Buff if my PH wanted me to stack some solids below softs.
I may have a different expectation from a DG bullet than you do. I don't want a bullet that sheds weight. Not much anyway. So, for me, the A-Frame is my perfect DG expanding bullet.
Most of the DGX bullets I have seen pulled from animals or media of some sort do, in fact, look somewhat similar to the pics Hornady publishes. The front half missing amd not much mushroom. OK, maybe they perform in some instances like Hornady intends. I just simply disagree that this is proper performance for a Dangerous Game bullet.
When I see lots of small fragments after the resulting impact, first I cringe and then reaffirm my decision not to ever us them for anything but paper or steel.
If I want a fragenting bullet I will choose a Nosler Ballistic Tip. They shoot more accurately anyway.
So, the punch line is I don't like the way DGX perform, whether Hornady intended it that way or not. Not only that, I find Hornady's representation of these bullets to be quite misleading. Just my opinion.
As far as understanding ballistics, I know that there are a number of folks on AH that I can learn a lot from. You're likely one of them. However, you assume a bit much on occasion :). You might be surprised to learn the depth of background some of us have with internal, transitional, external and terminal ballistics ;)

"some of you are struggling......." Seriously? I can handle arrogance ok, but when it is mixed with condescension, it is a truly unappealing characteristic. I suspect you will find a large number of those in diallogue with you have every bit as much experience - both practical field and range work as you - in many cases, more - in some cases much more. And yes I looked at your website.

With regard to myself, I am saying exactly what I intend to say. For whatever reason, you are trying to be deliberately obtuse - I assume for some entertainment value this evening. Most folks here are very respectful of other opinions, even when we disagree with them strongly. A hint of that from you would not be amiss. Normally, I walk away from being trolled before now. I am just amused to find such behavior in someone not living in their mother' s basement.

Everyone fully understands that different bullets have different applications. Many of those with practical experience in the matter have concluded that the Hornady product is not adequate for the purpose for which it is advertised. That is the cusp of the matter. It is perfectly alright to disagree with that conclusion. But understand, those conclusions were reached by people with practical, sometimes unfortunate experience. If I may offer some unsolicited advice, feel free to disagree, but never be dismissive.

I have personally decided that I am uninterested in any more of this sort of dialogue. And that is frankly a shame, because I would normally value experienced dialogue with a fellow hunter. I see nothing of value in continuing this one. I wish you well.

Last edited:
I remember years ago choosing not to use Hornady, and at the time Barnes was to go-to, both for bullets and ammo (when not handloading.). Since things changed at Hornady, I decided to give them a try (bullets and ammo) and have been pleased. I see from old Post (years old) and new posts (days old) that I am in the minority. When I ask my 40+ years hunting mentors what they thought, none have used the new Hornady stuff because they didn't use their old stuff. Granted, I am not saying it's the best on the market...but if we only buy the best of everything, wouldn't we all be hunting with a Purdey, Holland and Holland's, Rigby, or the like, (All of which are out of my budget.) So, I am good with a 458 Win Mag and 460 Weatherby Mag (where my budget topped off), both of which kick like angry mules. I do favor the Mauser 98 action, and so recently added a tamer 416 Ruger to the inventory. Will my RCBS allow me to ditch this Hornady round, if you folks reason it to be so bad? Thanks

Try Australian made Woodleigh bullets.

I am going to stick with not so hot coffee and frozen fish. @Royal27 yes I know I got it wrong frozen herring not Macarel.

Simon thank you for admitting you were wrong and being willing to learn. You set a great example that others could follow. ;)

I think what we may have here is a failure to communicate. Pretty damn funny after how many pages now? :)

Nah.... he understands. He's just enjoying the trolling and getting the reactions out of folks, instead of trying to have a productive conversation. Too much twisting of words and wrong assumptions of what people mean, combined with the condescending and cavalier attitude. @redleg is right and I should have begun to ignore him after his bulletproof lions comment, or thereabouts.

I'm not so obstinate as to not correct my mistakes when I see them though, so I'm out of this one too, at least with the current conversation.

I just wonder how long that fella spent pissing on the toilet lid before being told told to lift it. I'm sure then argued on the necessity of raising said lid.

I lied. One final comment. I hadn't seen that @sheephunterab had a hunting show until @redleg mentioned it, so out of curiosity I went looked at the page.

Very impressive. And quite a list of sponsors scrolling the bottom. It sure seems to explain a lot.

Screenshot_20170624-100503.png

Well that sums it up though I certainly think he did them no favors.

Thanks for the plug! Really all it explains is why I'm so familiar with Hornady bullets and their performance....I shoot them a lot and have seen how they perform in 100s of animals over the years. No benefit to me getting in a discussion on a messageboard other than to share my experience. I've worked with numerous bullet manufacturers over the years on R&D and have seen good and bad. I still work with a few and I also write extensively about most. Thanks again for the plug though, TV is a tough business and it all helps :)

Thanks for the plug! Really all it explains is why I'm so familiar with Hornady bullets and their performance....I shoot them a lot and have seen how they perform in 100s of animals over the years. No benefit to me getting in a discussion on a messageboard other than to share my experience. I've worked with numerous bullet manufacturers over the years on R&D and have seen good and bad. I still work with a few and I also write extensively about most. Thanks again for the plug though, TV is a tough business and it all helps :)
I doubt Royal meant that as a compliment.

To get back to the OP;
Why avoid Hornady DG bullets and ammunition?

Because it has a documented history of failure in very dangerous situations. And there are much better options available.

I have hunted Africa a lot and on all six continents, I personally use ttsx in all calibers which shoot over 2900 fps, except when I am shooting long range 500-1200 then I used berger VDL for all my big calibers guns 500NE, 416RM, down to 375 H&H I used swift A- frames. I will admit I have used TSX, Nosler Partition and trophy bonded bear claws with equal success and performance on the big guns shooting under 2800( usually 2100-2600fps). I live the sound of an A-Frame when it hits, and that was my deciding factor. MVA

Shilling, it's not just a coin in Britain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elandremf

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?