Why a .375 in North America?

For many the .338is the big American rifle for brown bear etc. from what I’ve experienced the .375 kicks less, is more versatile, and yes then you are ready for Africa!

I think a 270 grain monolithic 375 bullet at 2600-2800 fps is near ideal for moose, Or anything else in North America at 200 meters and under.
I use 375's frequently where I hunt. I do enjoy shooting and hunting with my 375's.

IMG_2017.JPG

375 H&H 300 grain A-Frame on the left
30-30 Winchester 150 grain Federal Trophy Copper on the right

I just picked up a 30-30.
And actually had the same thoughts.

Why not? If you wanted to be sensible, you'd get a .458 because the plinking projectiles are a little bit easier to get, but you're liable to be worried by the recoil you read about in a magazine. However, .375 H&H is big enough to impress. Beware of the big cartridges as they start to become familiar and the other ones will seem too small to get the job done going forward.

One morning you'll wake up and not have a clue what the .30-30 is good for and feel naked carrying it in the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Rem XCR II in 375 H&H for my brown bear hunt. The rifle some problems out of the box, so my gunsmith, Kevin Weaver, fixed those and rechambered it to 375 Weatherby before the hunt. A lot to like in a stainless/synthetic 7 1/2 lb (with scope) 375 Weatherby. Shoots 300g A-Frames at 2800 fps and 375 H&H factory as well. As much reach as a 338 Win Mag, more punch up close.

my experience is that the 375 with 300 gns shoots at least as flat as 338 with 250gn.
this is real world, not book numbers.
I could not get serious velocity with the 338.
bruce.

From the list below it clear I have a caliber gap in my rifle collection
  • 6.5x55
  • 7mm Int-R
  • 7mm-08
  • 30-06
  • 300 WM
  • 32 Win Special
  • 35 Whelen
  • ???
  • 416 Rigby
Of course I need a 375

I have zero practical need for a 375, but reading this post makes me want one.
Since when does buying a firearm require a "practical need"?

Owning a 375 just opens doors you may not have even knew existed before.
It is also the gateway mid bore that will get you hooked on wanting a big bore.
Next thing you know, you are rabbit hunting with a 495A-SQUARE.
Watch out for rabbits...they have big fangs.

Are there import restrictions on holy hand grenades?

Well most of Europe is in lockdown, so good luck getting a parcel from the Vatican through customs. Perhaps if it is first cleansed in holy water and blessed by St Juliana of Nicodemia...

You need one because you can have one and want one.

I've gone all over the world with my M70 .375. The most practical rifle I own. My wife, military-trained in the art of combat, appreciates the fact our home is complete with a .375 H&H.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BookerReno

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles