Who was at fault, me or the PH?

The mistake was all on the PH. Thankfully both the PH and owner took responsibility.

We are constantly told to listen to our PH! Sounds like that is exactly what @Speedster did. Although I am still unclear if he actually shot another or not? @Speedster did you take them up on the offer and shoot a better Gemsbok?

When Gina 's dad was hunting his buffalo he asked the PH if he should bring his binos to which the PH said no. Then told him he wanted him on the gun lining up the shot when told to do so and to not get distracted by looking at horns or anything else that is the responsibility of the PH. Now this was a first and likely only buffalo for a guy who struggles to walk, especially through brush and over rocks. He got a fantastic buffalo! ;)

Another situation had happened with another hunter just before we arrived. Basically the compete opposite of what the OP experienced. They had been struggling finding a good kudu on a property the PH had not hunted before. Every bull they saw had his horns up in thick trees so there was no good way to judge length. Then the PH spotted a bull that had huge bases and the PH just knew it was a really good one even though he could not see much of the horns. He told the hunter to shoot. The hunter hesitated because he could not see the horns. I believe the conversation was something along the lines of "shoot itvor give me the gun and I'll take it!"

The client ended up wounding it and they could find it after an exhaustive search. The hunt continued onto other properties and species.

Then right at the end of the hunt they got a call that the farm staff found the kudu bull dead and the PH had best come over. I believe the hunter was still in camp so they drove over. That kudu went 70 inches!!!

The cape was gone but they got the skull and horns. In fact it was in the salt shed yet.
20240708_234126.jpg
20240708_234238.jpg

Mistakes happen. How it’s handled is important.

On my very first safari I really wanted a black wildebeest. We got into a herd and the PH picked out the “bull” and I shot. And I shot badly. Somehow in the follow up, either I shot the wrong one or we just miscommunicated. Either way. I shot the wrong one.

Dust settled and the first was a huge cow. And the second was a cow too. Obviously the first animal was just a mistake by the PH. The second was either my fault, or both, I’m still not sure

We had chances at bulls later, but I had two already, so I didn’t shoot.

I get the final bill and the owner didn’t charge me anything for the black wildebeest. I asked and he said he wasn’t going to charge me as they were cows. I didn’t think that was fair, so I offered to pay for the price for one bull. He was happy I think. I was happy. I hope it was a fair way to resolve it.

I have those two black wildebeest skulls in my office and no one even knows what they are, let alone that they were cows.

And I would hunt with that owner and that PH again any day
This is an excellent example how things can happen and how they should be sorted.....

A 70 inch Kudu! WOW! That's Awesome.

Sounds like it worked out well. PH made the mistake or wanted it culled and made a quick call. Luckily you were in an area to shoot another one. Some countries you would be mostly stuck with it.

I’ve culled a lot of animals and only questioned my PH once very early on as I wasn’t sure what exactly was happening. Then I understood if he said shoot then I shoot. We have had great communication and I trust him. Been twice with that PH and take his advice on other African hunts I’ve been on as well. He has set me up on a ton of trophies, he sees things I don’t. There is a huge difference in seeing 10/15/20 different plains game species vs hunting whitetail or elk and you are after one specific species. Or even judging elephant or buffalo with little to no experience.

There is something great to be said about trusting your PH, not only on calling the shots or the animal but also potentially with your life.

I look at any new PH/concession/outfitter/etc as an interview before I book a trip. I want to talk with the PH who I will be hunting with, if I don’t have a great first impression of someone I might spend 5/7/10/14 days with hours on end I’m not going.

On my first trip to RSA in 2012, I was completely ripped off. One of four animals was a trophy and it was a blesbok that I saw before my female PH. It appeard from behind a bush and it was a quick shot at 30m. I also allowed myself to be tempted to shoot a Kudo that I only saw the horns of in the vegetation. "Shoot, shoot, shoot through the bush where you think the neck is" the PH whispered several times. There were a few drops of blood and we went after it for three days without getting at it. Of course, I had to pay for it, which was perfectly fine, but they didn't say anything at the farm, but I found out when I got home via my tour operator. When I had shot my Gemsbok I asked why it had no grooves on the horns and was told that ones with grooves were rare in the Northern Cape. They must have really enjoyed having me as a guest! When I was in Namibia in 2017, I showed pictures of my "trophy animals" to the owner of the farm. He got very upset and wanted the prankster's name and phone number, which I had to pretend I had forgotten. 2019 back in RSA I paid to shoot two good Kudos, a Greater and an Estern. If I remember correctly the Greater was 53 inches and the Estern 46 inches. I left both horns. I believe it is PHn's job to ensure that hunters who come as guests can shoot safe shots at the right animals and it is up to the hunter to explain his expectations before the hunt.
My trophy Gemsbok.
Afrik0512 063.jpg

To err is human. Even an African white hunter or a first time client. What matters is how the mistake was rectified.

Hey stuff happens.
Gemsbok for me also. We eased into a group. I'm on sticks. PH says second from right. I shoot and it drops on spot. He says looks like a hit keep track on it. That's when I come off gun and say "it dropped.
I was on wrong animal. There were five I only saw four. It was still a good animal but not the 45+ inch one I was supposed to have shot.
Things happen. All I can say. I was happy and paid for it and did take the bigger one also two days later.

Wow you shot a 45in Gemsbok that’s a nice big bugger ?

It would be the PHs fault, that’s the job .

I’d be very suspicious of the 70in Kudu found later, more so if on a pay by the inch property ?

On my first trip to RSA in 2012, I was completely ripped off. One of four animals was a trophy and it was a blesbok that I saw before my female PH. It appeard from behind a bush and it was a quick shot at 30m. I also allowed myself to be tempted to shoot a Kudo that I only saw the horns of in the vegetation. "Shoot, shoot, shoot through the bush where you think the neck is" the PH whispered several times. There were a few drops of blood and we went after it for three days without getting at it. Of course, I had to pay for it, which was perfectly fine, but they didn't say anything at the farm, but I found out when I got home via my tour operator. When I had shot my Gemsbok I asked why it had no grooves on the horns and was told that ones with grooves were rare in the Northern Cape. They must have really enjoyed having me as a guest! When I was in Namibia in 2017, I showed pictures of my "trophy animals" to the owner of the farm. He got very upset and wanted the prankster's name and phone number, which I had to pretend I had forgotten. 2019 back in RSA I paid to shoot two good Kudos, a Greater and an Estern. If I remember correctly the Greater was 53 inches and the Estern 46 inches. I left both horns. I believe it is PHn's job to ensure that hunters who come as guests can shoot safe shots at the right animals and it is up to the hunter to explain his expectations before the hunt.
My trophy Gemsbok.
View attachment 626097

How do you mean you left both horns?

Sorry about that gemsbuck. No one should pay for that animal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taxlegitca

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

1000009202.jpg
1000009102.jpg
1000008936.jpg
1000008850.jpg
1000008747.jpg
It's been a great Safari here in Zambia with Mbizi Safaris so far!! Heading out to the Kafue Flats tomorrow for Lechwe