Who is chasing the spiral horn slam?

I believe Jason Stone was just advertising a discounted Mtn Nyala in Ethiopia.
I hunted Mountain Nyala with Jason and can highly recommend him and the area he hunts.

After 20 years, completed my spiral slam last year with an Nyala. I hunted the hard ones first then got distracted chasing all of the eland species and bushbuck species. I have loved every hunt for the spiral horned.

Most intriguing hunt was Mountain Nyala with Jason Roussos in Ethiopia. Unique, fantastic, seriously fun.

After 20 years, completed my spiral slam last year with an Nyala. I hunted the hard ones first then got distracted chasing all of the eland species and bushbuck species. I have loved every hunt for the spiral horned.

Most intriguing hunt was Mountain Nyala with Jason Roussos in Ethiopia. Unique, fantastic, seriously fun.
How long was your mountain nyala shot?

Congrats on accomplishing those goals. What’s next? Will you repeat any of the specialized spiral hunts?

My mountain nyala was 300 yard shot. but took 45 minutes to reach the carcass . Tough country but a great hunt. I hunted with the late Colonel Negussie .

My mountain nyala was 300 yard shot. but took 45 minutes to reach the carcass . Tough country but a great hunt. I hunted with the late Colonel Negussie .
Were you able to use a tripod or some improvised field rest for that?

Were you able to use a tripod or some improvised field rest for that?
No. I used traditional sitting position. I had used for decades before I heard of tripods. I would not take the shot today I am embarrassed to say.

Last edited:
Old school shooting skills! A real rifleman. Love it.

Any photos of your fav spiral horn trophies taken?

Where is Hank2211?-I’ve read enough of his reports to believe he should be sharing his experience on this thread

I’ve read Peter Flack’s book. I’m contemplating finishing my spiral horn slam. Would still need a LDE and Mountain Nyala. I love the spiral horned species and most plains game. I try to hunt areas with one or two spiral species available when planning dangerous game hunts. I went to Zambia specifically for a sitatunga, as well as the three lechwe species and giant sable. Didn’t even seriously hunt buffalo when there. I am of the opinion that dangerous game doesn’t always have to take precedence for me. Good luck to you and hope you get the spiral horn slam!
View attachment 582108View attachment 582109
View attachment 582110View attachment 582111View attachment 582112View attachment 582113View attachment 582114View attachment 582115View attachment 582117
Hi Scott,

We just returned from Zambia, and are looking at going back next year for Sitatunga, Sable, and Black Lechwe. May I ask who you went with?

Cheers,

Cecil

I chased the spirals! Great fun and great hunts. All were a challenge. The Lod Derby is my favorite and the toughest. My. Nyala are a challenge as they are high in the mountains in Ethiopia, and Ethiopia is a super place to hunt!
Do it!

I chased the spirals! Great fun and great hunts. All were a challenge. The Lod Derby is my favorite and the toughest. My. Nyala are a challenge as they are high in the mountains in Ethiopia, and Ethiopia is a super place to hunt!
Do it!
That's interesting as I have heard the outfitters have gotten really good at LDE success rates. Getting there, dealing with the heat, etc but you should see a lot of LDE. I would have thought the Mt Nyala or bongo would be tougher than LDE. Of course, each experience varies.

As in all hunting, being in the right area is a great help along with the right PH. I was fortunate in both aspects. My first LDE was very tough - 9 days tracking in 100 degree heat. The next was in a great area and taken after 4 days. Bongo on day 3 in a thrilling tracking job, the Mt Nyala was after 2-3 days of watching and glassing. Sitatunga was a classic “sit in the machan” for several sits then connected. All great fun and worth the effort. Bushbuck, kudu and eland were great fun. The regular nyala was last and in an area we did not expect to one.
Go!

Hi Scott,

We just returned from Zambia, and are looking at going back next year for Sitatunga, Sable, and Black Lechwe. May I ask who you went with?

Cheers,

Cecil
Sorry I didn’t see this question until now. I went with Ntengu Safaris in Zambia with Fico Vidale as PH. I posted a report and highly recommended the areas. Got everything I wanted except roan but came close.

As in all hunting, being in the right area is a great help along with the right PH. I was fortunate in both aspects. My first LDE was very tough - 9 days tracking in 100 degree heat. The next was in a great area and taken after 4 days. Bongo on day 3 in a thrilling tracking job, the Mt Nyala was after 2-3 days of watching and glassing. Sitatunga was a classic “sit in the machan” for several sits then connected. All great fun and worth the effort. Bushbuck, kudu and eland were great fun. The regular nyala was last and in an area we did not expect to one.
Go!
Did you take them in one hunt each? If so, that’s fantastic. I typically have very good luck but I hunt hard until the end…has worked on most species except for leopard.

Took 7 or 8 hunts as they are in different places. I am after all of the bushbuck species as well and it takes a separate hun5 for each.
If I only had one more hunt to take, it would be for any of the eland species. I like LDE the best but you hunt them in bad countries. A tracking eland hunt is my cup of joy!

I have only done the South African version all in the Northwest

Two best Kudu
IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2427.jpg

Two Nyala
IMG_3870.jpg

IMG_3609.jpg

Eland old worn down bull
IMG_2167.jpg

Bushbuck in Northwest
187d1b92-5b83-4f8e-98dc-ad35c805a7b5.jpg

Where is Hank2211?-I’ve read enough of his reports to believe he should be sharing his experience on this thread
That's an excellent question Firebird. As they say, ask and . . . well, something might happen.

At the risk of repetition and being a bit boring, here are my spiral horns, in the order in which I got them. Having said that, in many cases I've shot multiples (eland, kudu (dozens), bushbuck (got all but two of the sub-species), etc) so I might add one or two of the same for variety (and to allow some on other threads the pleasure which they seem to find in crapping on others' trophies!)

I have very little doubt that the nine spiral horns are much harder to get than the Big Five - and not just because there are more of them. At least three of these hunts - the bongo, the Giant Eland and to a lesser extent the Mountain Nyala - are among the hardest hunts in Africa. And you have to visit far more countries - many of them far from hospitable - to find them. But it's an adventure and a goal well worth the effort.

1. Bushbuck

IMG_0765.jpeg

Matetsi, Zimbabwe, 2009 (Doesn't look like a Chobe, but got it very near the Chobe River . . .)

062.jpeg

Cape Bushbuck - Eastern Cape 2014

P1000159.jpeg

Limpopo Bushbuck, South Africa, 2016

DSC00250.jpeg

Harnessed Bushbuck, Benin, 2017

2. Kudu

IMG_0263.jpeg

Shangani, Zimbabwe, 2009 (first of a couple of dozen?)

P1010956.jpeg

South Africa (somewhere - a bigger version!)

3. Eland

IMG_0774.jpeg

Matetsi, Zimbabwe, 2010

4. Nyala

IMG_0665.jpeg

South Africa, Northern Cape, 2012

IMG_1642.jpeg

Mozambique, 2023

5. Bongo

IMG_1006.jpeg

Cameroon, 2013

6. Sitatunga (Forest)

IMG_1111.jpeg

Cameroon, 2013

7. Lesser Kudu

DSC00084.jpeg

Danakil, Ethiopia, 2016

8. Mountain Nyala

DSC00145.jpeg

Ethiopia, 2016

9. Giant Eland

IMG_5403.jpeg

Cameroon, 2019

That’s the stuff! Thanks for the pictures and writing up your adventures-

That's an excellent question Firebird. As they say, ask and . . . well, something might happen.

At the risk of repetition and being a bit boring, here are my spiral horns, in the order in which I got them. Having said that, in many cases I've shot multiples (eland, kudu (dozens), bushbuck (got all but two of the sub-species), etc) so I might add one or two of the same for variety (and to allow some on other threads the pleasure which they seem to find in crapping on others' trophies!)

I have very little doubt that the nine spiral horns are much harder to get than the Big Five - and not just because there are more of them. At least three of these hunts - the bongo, the Giant Eland and to a lesser extent the Mountain Nyala - are among the hardest hunts in Africa. And you have to visit far more countries - many of them far from hospitable - to find them. But it's an adventure and a goal well worth the effort.

1. Bushbuck

View attachment 633838
Matetsi, Zimbabwe, 2009 (Doesn't look like a Chobe, but got it very near the Chobe River . . .)

View attachment 633831
Cape Bushbuck - Eastern Cape 2014

View attachment 633839
Limpopo Bushbuck, South Africa, 2016

View attachment 633834
Harnessed Bushbuck, Benin, 2017

2. Kudu

View attachment 633843
Shangani, Zimbabwe, 2009 (first of a couple of dozen?)

View attachment 633844
South Africa (somewhere - a bigger version!)

3. Eland

View attachment 633837
Matetsi, Zimbabwe, 2010

4. Nyala

View attachment 633835
South Africa, Northern Cape, 2012

View attachment 633836
Mozambique, 2023

5. Bongo

View attachment 633840
Cameroon, 2013

6. Sitatunga (Forest)

View attachment 633841
Cameroon, 2013

7. Lesser Kudu

View attachment 633832
Danakil, Ethiopia, 2016

8. Mountain Nyala

View attachment 633833
Ethiopia, 2016

9. Giant Eland

View attachment 633842
Cameroon, 2019
Could you pick a favorite? Most memorable? Most difficult? Did any not live up to the hype? If you had to pick just one more to hunt, what would it be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrianCart

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles